BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-

I recently acquired a 91 M5 and re-did the brakes with new rotors and pads. I used Akebono ceramic pads with Zimmerman front rotors and ATE rears. I regret installing the ceramic pads- they are very low dust/low noise, but the bite is terrible. I would much prefer a pad with high initial grab, even if it's high dust/high noise, as the car is a "weekend" car for me, not a daily driver.

My question is, which brake pads provide the highest performance for street use on a stock brake setup with the US M5? I've heard that EBC and Hawk are very good, but I may just go with OEM replacement. Does anyone have experience comparing different pads on the stock rotor size?

Thanks!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I installed the D 8394A EUR Akebono's from BMA when I redid my 4 corners and have no problem for street driving. Grab fine. Did you change or rebuild your calipers?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did rebuild the calipers all around. They all bled fine. Do you think I could have introduced air into the system somewhere?

·
10,456 Posts
i think the stock pads work quite well. I don't mind the dust, i'd rather have better performance than clean wheels.

That said, i've got a set of porter field RS4 (i think) on my m5 touring. The front pads for the 315 rotors are the same as e36 m3's so lots of choices. The porter fields still dust about is much as stock, have great bite on the street, and supposedly a little better high temp performance. But honestly i have them because someone gave them to me cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts