BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good body shop in Orange County, California? I have a door ding with paint scratch on my rear passenger door, and M2 Collision in Fountain Valley estimated about $850 to fix the door ding, including painting the door and rear fender. Seemed a little high. Got another quote from a no name company for $400, but they seemed like a sketchy outfit. Paint is OEM carbon black metallic. Ding is not abnormally deep or big, but a solid one.

Also, looking for a good detailer.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Not sure of a detailer, but I can recommend Spectrum Collision in Irvine.

They work on primarily BMW's and Porsche's, and it's where Irvine BMW sends their cars for body work and/or paint. They're off the Lake Forest exit off the 5, right across the street from the Irvine Auto Center.
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
10,698 Posts
A good friend of mine had his Z8 (bumper) repaired there (Spectrum) and they did nice work. He is (as I would be) nuts about having it done right. I've seen the finished product and I cannot really tell it was repainted. If I look very very very close I can see it in the metallic flakes (ti silver). Its very hard to get a match between plastic and metal with metallic paints.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MEnthusiast said:
A good friend of mine had his Z8 (bumper) repaired there (Spectrum) and they did nice work. He is (as I would be) nuts about having it done right.
Thanks Guys, I will check out Spectrum.

- Ronin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
Ronin M5 said:
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good body shop in Orange County, California? I have a door ding with paint scratch on my rear passenger door, and M2 Collision in Fountain Valley estimated about $850 to fix the door ding, including painting the door and rear fender. Seemed a little high. Got another quote from a no name company for $400, but they seemed like a sketchy outfit. Paint is OEM carbon black metallic. Ding is not abnormally deep or big, but a solid one.

Also, looking for a good detailer.

Thanks!
Did your "Ding" lose paint? ... Or is it truly a Door Ding .. ala a dimple?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
Ronin M5 said:
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good body shop in Orange County, California? I have a door ding with paint scratch on my rear passenger door, and M2 Collision in Fountain Valley estimated about $850 to fix the door ding, including painting the door and rear fender. Seemed a little high. Got another quote from a no name company for $400, but they seemed like a sketchy outfit. Paint is OEM carbon black metallic. Ding is not abnormally deep or big, but a solid one.

Also, looking for a good detailer.

Thanks!
Did your "Ding" lose paint? ... Or is it truly a Door Ding .. ala a dimple?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gra8fuldd ed said:
Did your "Ding" lose paint? ... Or is it truly a Door Ding .. ala a dimple?
It's more of a door ding and door scratch.

It lost paint. :crying:

Otherwise I would take it to one of those places that can pull it out for $75-$100.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
Sounds like your $850 estimate is not bad all things considered.

I have a 15" to 18" Key scratch that someone gave me as a present in my left rear quarter panel ... The estimate to paint it and blend the trunck and the left rear door and the bumper was $1,100.

Quality work doesn't come cheap! BUT ... Talk is!!!

You just gotta do your homework and see some of this shops work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
The best detailer in OC is DR.Detail. They are located in Costa Mesa and the operation is run by a very experienced car fanatic.His name is Darren McKendry and his shop is capable of Concurs detailing. :wroom:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gra8fuldd ed said:
Sounds like your $850 estimate is not bad all things considered.

I have a 15" to 18" Key scratch that someone gave me as a present in my left rear quarter panel ... The estimate to paint it and blend the trunk and the left rear door and the bumper was $1,100.
That is helpful pricing info. They have done work on different cars in the past, with good results. Originally the quote was about $1300, which included blending the front passenger door also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
The best detailer in OC is DR.Detail. They are located in Costa Mesa and the operation is run by a very experienced car fanatic.His name is Darren McKendry and his shop is capable of Concurs detailing. :wroom:

Do you have a phone number or web site for Dr. Detail?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
you can check out Century Collision Center . they work w/ element 6 designs very closely. if you talk to ceasar and mention e6, he will definitly hook you up. he has one of the cleanest shops ive seen.


spectrum is great too! gary and all those guys are very cool. but they tend to be a bit pricey w/out ins., and they will hold your car if you dispute any additional cost.. so ive heard..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
eMpwrd5 said:
spectrum is great too! gary and all those guys are very cool. but they tend to be a bit pricey w/out ins., ..
Thanks, I have a $1000 deductible, so it's going to be out of pocket. I will check out Century.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
olis1 said:
Do you have a phone number or web site for Dr. Detail?
I did some research and found a number for Dr. Detail. My wife just spilled a root beer in my car and offered to detail the car as a birthday present to me. Cool.

DOCTOR DETAIL. Specializing in undercarriage steam cleaning & under coating. Automotive Recoditioning / Protection & Appearance
Darren McKendry
(949) 650-0204
Costa Mesa, CA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MEnthusiast said:
A good friend of mine had his Z8 (bumper) repaired there (Spectrum) and they did nice work. He is (as I would be) nuts about having it done right. I've seen the finished product and I cannot really tell it was repainted. If I look very very very close I can see it in the metallic flakes (ti silver). Its very hard to get a match between plastic and metal with metallic paints.
I was attending a Porsche Club event this morning held at Newport Auto Center, and Bill, Luis, and Tom from Spectrum Collision were there, and gave an explanation of the colette (sp?) jig with a raw 911 cabriolet body on it, that Porsche N.A. uses for training.

They also said they could order smooth body moulding from the factory that could be painted. Although my car is carbon black metallic, I was considering color matching, since the original mouldings are a little weathered.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Ronin M5 said:
I was attending a Porsche Club event this morning held at Newport Auto Center, and Bill, Luis, and Tom from Spectrum Collision were there, and gave an explanation of the colette (sp?) jig with a raw 911 cabriolet body on it, that Porsche N.A. uses for training.

They also said they could order smooth body moulding from the factory that could be painted. Although my car is carbon black metallic, I was considering color matching, since the original mouldings are a little weathered.
Based on their web site, it appears that spectrum is using PPG, Dupont and Spies Hecker paints. I understand that BMW sprays either Glaserit or Sekkens. I've heard that Dupont is not as good as either Glaserit or Sekkens. Although lots of "so-called" experts say that PPG is as good as Glaserit or Sekkens, just as many say that it is second rate in comparison (never heard of Spies Hecker). I've been told by "experts" to make sure that any repaint is done with the same paint. Just a word of caution, you might want to research this yourself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
///M Blitz said:
Based on their web site, it appears that spectrum is using PPG, Dupont and Spies Hecker paints. I understand that BMW sprays either Glaserit or Sekkens. I've heard that Dupont is not as good as either Glaserit or Sekkens. Although lots of "so-called" experts say that PPG is as good as Glaserit or Sekkens, just as many say that it is second rate in comparison (never heard of Spies Hecker). I've been told by "experts" to make sure that any repaint is done with the same paint. Just a word of caution, you might want to research this yourself.
M Blitz:

I believe you are correct about Glasurit Paint. It's a 2 stage paint and I know that '03 M5 was painted at the factory with Glasurit Paints. I've heard some painters say that PPG is good because it is a "Hard Paint" ... Meaning that it dries HARD.

Within the next few weeks, I am going to have ALL of my black surround moldings painted Carbon Black. IMHO ... It makes the car look much more uniform around the exterior. I've seen A few members that have done this and I think that it looks just GREAT! cherrsagai
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gra8fuldd ed said:
Within the next few weeks, I am going to have ALL of my black surround moldings painted Carbon Black. IMHO ... It makes the car look much more uniform around the exterior. I've seen A few members that have done this and I think that it looks just GREAT! cherrsagai
I've been debating, since I have carbon black too. I wasn't sure if it would make that much of a difference. Do you have any pictures to share?

Are you planning to just have them prep and paint your existing moulding?

Thanks, R
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
Yes .... Plastic moulding MUST be prepped with Flexall Agent and then Painted. Otherwise ... the paint will peel within 6 months to a year ... depending on the heat and sunlight conditions. :M5launch:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Classy Cars in HB. Jeff Jeperson is the owner. You may have seen him on Rides and Overhaulin'.

He did an 88 M5 Dinan Turbo for me that looked better than it came from the factory. show quality!

He is exceptional to say the least. http://www.classycars.com/frame3.htm

5842 McFadden Ave. Unit G
Huntington Beach, CA 92649
Phone:
(714) 891-3733

Jordan
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top