BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I'm wondering if anybody on this board can refer me to a solid Indy shop in the Sacramento Area.

I do a lot of DIY work but there are certain jobs I need a professional to do. I have had negative experiences at two local shops I have gone to in the past. I have caught shops lying to me, damaging parts of my interior while doing work, having to go back to get work re-done, taking longer than promised, irritated that I have questions, etc.

I'm looking for a shop with qualified mechanics, friendly people, and reasonable prices (as anybody would be).

Your suggestions are appreciated! Thank you.

- Alan

·
Registered
23 Posts
I do much of my own work as well, but I've used Schatz and Krum in the past for major work on my old E30 M3. They were friendly and professional, and Stuart resolved a problem that developed later on.

Out of curiosity, who did you have negative experiences with?

-Alex

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do much of my own work as well, but I've used Schatz and Krum in the past for major work on my old E30 M3. They were friendly and professional, and Stuart resolved a problem that developed later on.

Out of curiosity, who did you have negative experiences with?

-Alex
Hey Alex,

Thanks for your referral, I appreciate it!

First shop I went to was "My Auto Surgeon"...It is not a BMW indy shop but they do work on european cars. I was a customer there for 5 years bringing my 2 Hondas there and they always got the job done right for a more than fair price. Very nice guys. When I first got my BMW, my driver's side window regulator went out and I was a less experienced "DIYer" at that time. I went there as it was my go-to shop.They charged me as much as they could to fix it.....which was not usual, they severely dented my speaker in my door and then argued with me that they didn't do it. As always, I take photos before I drop my car off anywhere. I proved to them that they did it. They ordered a replacement which they claimed was "new from germany"...when it arrived it was the wrong color, I had to wait 3 months for them to order the correct part, which they bought of ebay, used....and it was cracked. They didn't really apologize for the inconvenience or provide a discount or anything and I had to go back 3 times to get things right. The door card still wasn't properly put back so I had to do it. They also left a scratch on the door. I won't bother going back.

Second shop was "Dobson's Automotive". My car is currently experiencing a cold rough idle when it is cold in the mornings.....They could not diagnose the issue even after I paid the diagnosis fee which is a piss-off. I had a coolant leak and they quoted me $900 for a new waterpump + TS. I knew it was time for the waterpump job so I bought the parts myself and did it for $280....$620 for labor on this job is ludicrous.

What angers me is that they told me that my spark plugs are some off brand plugs that need replacing and that with coils it should cost $900 to do. I pulled them out and checked my service records and they are OEM plugs ...so they just flat out lied to me. Their labor rates just don't make sense. I spent a few hundreds bucks for genuine BMW OE parts and it took me less than an hour to do myself. I just hate being ripped off with simple stuff like this.

Anyway, still trying to find an honest and qualified shop that can offer reasonable prices....I'll look into your suggestion!

·
1,910 Posts
My nephew has a shop in Sacramento. He's British, has a ridiculous AMG Merc, is an utter petrolhead and also can do smog tests. Honestly I don't know how in depth his BMW knowledge is, but I do know that he's honest and doesn't take the piss with prices.

He's worked on lots of European cars having trained and done his first few years work in the UK.

His brother does upholstery repairs and refreshes as a sideline if you need that as well.

His shop is called Auto CheckPoint - https://acpsmog.com. No warranty implied - give him a call and make your own judgement.

Simon

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My nephew has a shop in Sacramento. He's British, has a ridiculous AMG Merc, is an utter petrolhead and also can do smog tests. Honestly I don't know how in depth his BMW knowledge is, but I do know that he's honest and doesn't take the piss with prices.

He's worked on lots of European cars having trained and done his first few years work in the UK.

His brother does upholstery repairs and refreshes as a sideline if you need that as well.

His shop is called Auto CheckPoint - https://acpsmog.com. No warranty implied - give him a call and make your own judgement.

Simon
Thank you Simon. Appreciate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts