BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an '02 M5 and of course am looking to mod something right away...Dinan claims the 3.45 diff is, others claim the Supersprint headers are. Any other suggestions or comments are welcomed:M5launch:

·
Registered
12,900 Posts
adam28 said:
Just got an '02 M5 and of course am looking to mod something right away...Dinan claims the 3.45 diff is, others claim the Supersprint headers are. Any other suggestions or comments are welcomed:M5launch:
Welcome aboard!! Kind of like asking if you prefer blondes or brunettes! :D The diff will give more acceleration in gears, but not change the power of the car. Headers should give about 30 RWHP, which is pretty substantial. I prefer the latter, as I think the car is geared stiff enough from the factory (see my sig for my feelings on that). Other mods would be short shifter, ECU upgrade (necessary with headers), maybe air intake relocation. Plenty of others, both performance and cosmetic. I am sure a bunch of folks will chime in. You need to decide which most fit your needs.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
159 Posts
adam28 said:
Headers first. Ive got the diff also. It works great at the track. But I noticed a bigger change when I did the headers. Make sure you do powerchip software when you do the SS headers.
Boz

·
10,456 Posts
another vote for headers as best bang for the buck mod.
Mike

·
Banned
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like the headers are going to give more "Bang". Im sure the SS over the $8K Dinan ones...any other mods besides those two??

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I think the majority will say Headers, as from experience this mod definately works :M5thumbs: , as well as a SSK which improves driving pleasure considerably.

Happy Modding...:cheers:

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
gsfent said:
Welcome aboard!! Kind of like asking if you prefer blondes or brunettes! :D The diff will give more acceleration in gears, but not change the power of the car. Headers should give about 30 RWHP, which is pretty substantial. Jerry
Oh I prefer brunettes... a poll perhaps? .. heehee. :1:

Question: what do SS headers do to the exhaust sound? I also prefer the stock sound of an M5...

Cheers,

·
10,456 Posts
wilsodh said:
Oh I prefer brunettes... a poll perhaps? .. heehee. :1:

Question: what do SS headers do to the exhaust sound? I also prefer the stock sound of an M5...

Cheers,
I don't know if anyone has headers with stock exhaust. On my car, adding the headers with the supersprint x pipe and mufflers made my car noticably louder. It was fun for awhile, but eventually started to get to me, so i swapped the exhaust for the stock resonators and dinan mufflers, the car is considerably quieter while still having a really nice sound.
Mike

·
Registered
487 Posts
The SS Headers & X-Pipe with the Dinan cans sounds like a truck. It sounds good!

I had the Dinan cat back setup with no headers and it was deep but not loud. All I did was add the headers/x-pipe and MAN did it bring those things to life. Its amazing how restrictive those stock manifolds must be. I am not sure, but either way it is loud!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Supersprint headers if you want a rasper sound, rdsport if you want a deeper sound, 3.45 diff if you just want to spin and impress a ricer...Short shifter if you dont' like the factory one...suspention if you like a better handling car.

·
10,456 Posts
Jayson said:
Supersprint headers if you want a rasper sound, rdsport if you want a deeper sound, 3.45 diff if you just want to spin and impress a ricer...Short shifter if you dont' like the factory one...suspention if you like a better handling car.
why do you think the supersprints would sound different than the rd sports? both are 4 into 1 designs, just wondering if there's something i've not heard about the rds (are they back on the market again?)
Mike

·
Registered
12,900 Posts
mottati said:
I don't know if anyone has headers with stock exhaust. Mike
I do, although the cans are Hamann, so possibly a little louder. The difference is just a little more noise, but adding more bass (think subwoofer). Even the wife, who doesn't notice much about cars, commented on it shortly after install. She liked it. I do not find it intrusive at all. At idle and low rpm, not very noticable, but as you climb through 3000 rpm you can start to hear/feel it.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
gsfent said:
I do, although the cans are Hamann, so possibly a little louder. The difference is just a little more noise, but adding more bass (think subwoofer). Even the wife, who doesn't notice much about cars, commented on it shortly after install. She liked it. I do not find it intrusive at all. At idle and low rpm, not very noticable, but as you climb through 3000 rpm you can start to hear/feel it.
Regards,
Jerry
Thanks for the useful info. Subjective....but if it passes the 'wife test', it is probably along the lines of what I'd be interested in. Can you please summarize the configuration then?

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
12,900 Posts
wilsodh said:
Thanks for the useful info. Subjective....but if it passes the 'wife test', it is probably along the lines of what I'd be interested in. Can you please summarize the configuration then?

Cheers,
Dave
Hers or the exhaust?? :haha2: Assuming the latter, I have SS jetcoated headers, downpipe to stock exhaust (needed some tweaking to make fit), leading to Hamann mufflers. I also have the stock resonators. I did not get the X pipe for noise issues, nor the race cats as much for noise as for $$$$.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Thanks Jerry!

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
754 Posts
If you have have a $4-5k budget, I would start witht the 3.45 diff. This was one of my first mods and it changed the whole personality of the car.
I also think the EVO III SSK is another necessary mod that is of good value.
Dinan put everything on sale (25% off list) for a short period of time last year to "celebrate" their 20th anniversary, so I went crazy and installed their headers, throttle bodies, CAI, F/R brakes, etc, etc.
There is no end to what you can do to these cars if your pockets are deep enough.
PM me if you have any specific questions any of the Dinan mod's I've made.
Regards,

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
mottati said:
why do you think the supersprints would sound different than the rd sports? both are 4 into 1 designs, just wondering if there's something i've not heard about the rds (are they back on the market again?)
Mike
Thats just the difference between them, can't really give you a tech reason, but having heard them, thats the sound diff. And as far as I know the RD sports never left the market, beastpower has them.

·
Banned
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for stickin' to the thread Howler:byebye: Everyone is saying headers but when I spoke with the Dinan guys they swore by the 3.45 diff. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Steve the foremost authority on the M5's???!!

·
10,456 Posts
i too did the diff before the headers. Increasing the gear multiplication is like putting more torque down to the ground. I'd say both are very noticable mods on the street, and a road course. The headers are easier to measure, on a dyno at least. There is a lot of argument of the 345 diff actually increasing measurable performance, rather than just feel.(i personally think it does others do not).
Mike

·
Registered
12,900 Posts
adam28 said:
thanks for stickin' to the thread Howler:byebye: Everyone is saying headers but when I spoke with the Dinan guys they swore by the 3.45 diff. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Steve the foremost authority on the M5's???!!
Steve is indeed very knowledgable about the car. Remember, he is also in the business of selling product. It may be easier to sell his $3000 diff than his $8000 header, which needs an ECU upgrade too (don't know what he charges, but I would guess not less than $1k). Most of the board whohave done headers have installed Supersprint headers, which are in the $3000 neighborhood. Although the Dinan 4 into 2 into 1 header theoretically makes a little more midrange torque than the SS 4 into 1 headers (with gains higher up the rpm range), not sure anyone has really been able to quantify the difference. Some people like the separate Dinan warranty, and are willing to pay the extra $$$
Since mottati has done both 3.45 diff and headers, he is probably best equipped to answer that debate for you.
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 20 of 31 Posts