BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a discussion with a friend of mine about the following:
After installing the timing chain on my engine I cranked it a couple of times by hand to check if the timing was still correct. Then I noticed it was about 10 degrees of the OTP mark on the crankshaft. My question is; Can it be I bent the valves in the process of cranking it. If so, why does the official BMW workshop manual advise to do this?
My friend says I could have well bent the valves in the process. I'm not that sure but I'm very cautious. Does anyone have some reassurance for me? I'm not that keen of installing the engineagain only to get it back out the next week.
Kindest regards,
Geert

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would be surprised if you even had marks that you could see with your naked eye on the top of the pistons if you removed the head to check.

I'm not basing this on personal experience, but a friend with an E30 M3 bought Scrick cam gears to fine tune his timing. He went so far as to start the car and immediately heard the sound of pistons and valves connecting. He immediately shut off the car. He removed the head again (lighting hundred dollar bills on fire due to having to get new head bolts on an S14 every time you do that) and checked it out. The valves were fine but he was glad he checked anyway.

I think by hand cranking it you're PROBABLY alright. Again this is free advice on the internet so do what you will with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for the advice. I thought some more about it and I wil time the chain and try to get a compressiontest on it, that will eliminate all my doubts

Geert

flipwils11 said:
I would be surprised if you even had marks that you could see with your naked eye on the top of the pistons if you removed the head to check.

I'm not basing this on personal experience, but a friend with an E30 M3 bought Scrick cam gears to fine tune his timing. He went so far as to start the car and immediately heard the sound of pistons and valves connecting. He immediately shut off the car. He removed the head again (lighting hundred dollar bills on fire due to having to get new head bolts on an S14 every time you do that) and checked it out. The valves were fine but he was glad he checked anyway.

I think by hand cranking it you're PROBABLY alright. Again this is free advice on the internet so do what you will with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts