BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my front rims on my 02 m5 is bent. The dealer says that it can be fixed from an outside shop for about $200.
Or I can pay about $500 to get a new one. The last option is to get a "knock off" on ebay.

Does anyone have any experience w/ these wheel repair shops and/or the knock off? thank you

K

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi,

I actaully had teh same issue as yours, I had a bent fron rim, I decided to get it fixed for the shprt term but will replace it soon.
Do not get a knock off, you are not driving a POS worth nothing :D.
Make sure if you do get it fixed for them to balance it and make usre it is straight and true.
good luck

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
kosmo said:
One of my front rims on my 02 m5 is bent. The dealer says that it can be fixed from an outside shop for about $200.
Or I can pay about $500 to get a new one. The last option is to get a "knock off" on ebay.

Does anyone have any experience w/ these wheel repair shops and/or the knock off? thank you

K
These show up on ebay from time to time. I don't think you would pay much more than the cost of fixing a rim for a used one and you could keep the bent rim as an emergecy spare wheel. I have a couple of spares, so if you are in a hurry and can't find anything on ebay currently, PM me.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Banned
99 Posts
Hey Kosmo,

If you decide not have your front wheel fixed and are looking for a replacement I have one for sale for $300 in excellent condition.

I recently replaced my stock wheels with a set of BBS LM's and am looking to sell my stock wheels.

Let me know if you are interested. Also, a lot of people put the larger rear stock wheels on the front and run wider tires. Apparently it helps with handling. If you would like, I have the rears for sale as well and would ask $500 for both of those, also in excellent condition with Dunlop 9090 tires (approx 40% tread remaining).

Thanks and good luck with whatever you decide,
Gisho

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I've also got 2 non perfect but perfectly true and round 18x9.5" OEM rears for sale. One has been refinished, so that one is $200 plus shipping. Another one has not, but is not perfect. That one is $250 plus shipping. No tires or center caps. I already sold two of the four, and these are the only ones left.

I considered knockoffs, but the car is heavy and I don't trust crappy wheels to save my life or my wife's life if something happens. Only OEM or better.

B

·
0 Posts
Definitely replace it! I do not recommend reparing a wheel that has more than cosmetic damage. It is not worth the potential for long-term headaches.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Q: Is Blackbeast willing to ship and sell his front OEM wheel to someone in the UK as I am looking for a front as a spare?

Any pictures??

Pip

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Just my $.02, having now bent 14 rims on my car over 4 years due mostly to the Big Dig here in Boston.

You can get it fixed for around $125 from Rim and Wheel Works, Newtonville, MA 617 964 0226 Minor bends are no problem to fix, these guys can perform magic, but if the coating is scraped, you'll need to get the wheel refinished also, and it may not match the other three...plus it's going to be close to the price of a new OEM wheel. $500 from a dealer isnt too bad, but check Bekkers, etc or dealers that offer a BMW CCA discount on parts.

Good luck,
Bill

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I concur with Bill, if the rim is just bent I would definately suggest going ahead and fixing it. But if the wheel needs to be refinished, you are better off getting a new one IMO as the finish will never match correctly. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
The vast majority of repro knock-off's are very weak and brone to breakage or bending. There are widespread reports of folks bending multiple wheels in a matter of months. One big problem is the 18" diameter combined with super low profile. Another problem is the aftermarket repros are all a weak cast aluminum design. You could break a wheel center section and have a bad wreck. The ultra high performance capabilities combined with the hefty 2 ton weight chassis of the E39 V8 is a recipe for wheel failure. Aftermarket repro wheels are even marginal for a low performance cars of lighter weight. I am sure the Chinese manufacturers use the same design parameters for the M5 repro wheel as they use for 2800 lb Subaru or 3400 lb Mustang. They will not match OEM wheels in color or offset either, so you must buy two or four.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Black Beast said:
Hey Kosmo,

If you decide not have your front wheel fixed and are looking for a replacement I have one for sale for $300 in excellent condition.

I recently replaced my stock wheels with a set of BBS LM's and am looking to sell my stock wheels.

Let me know if you are interested. Also, a lot of people put the larger rear stock wheels on the front and run wider tires. Apparently it helps with handling. If you would like, I have the rears for sale as well and would ask $500 for both of those, also in excellent condition with Dunlop 9090 tires (approx 40% tread remaining).

Thanks and good luck with whatever you decide,
Gisho
Saw your post above offering two OEM rear wheels for $500 including the D'lops. Are the wheels perfect? Any estimate on lowest cost shipping to Atlanta? Thanks. Kent

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey 5driver. What are the conditiond of the rear wheels? Are the center caps included? Also will these fit on the front w/o modifications to the wheel wells? thanks

Kosmo

·
Banned
99 Posts
Pip and 5Driver,
Thank you for your interest in my wheel(s). I had an interested buyer who is local to me respond almost immediately to my initial post who wants to buy all three. If, for some reason, the sale does not go through, I will let you know.
Thank you again,
Gisho

·
Registered
168 Posts
kosmo said:
Hey 5driver. What are the conditiond of the rear wheels? Are the center caps included? Also will these fit on the front w/o modifications to the wheel wells? thanks

Kosmo
I was looking to buy Gisho's rear wheels and keep mine. Thought I'd inventory them if I can get an attractive price. So, I have none to sell. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused you. 5driver

·
Registered
313 Posts
I got mine repaired in Newton also. Nothing cosmetic, just structural. Price was reasonable and I watched. I was satisfied. My personal rule is, however, only one repair per wheel!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts