BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a great day at Thunderhill last Monday. Good weather, only 10 cars or so per session, and only two groups, so we all got at least 10 -15 sessions in for the day. I noticed the same thing I did the last time I had a full track day..........the inside of my exhaust tips which are usually coated with soot, are now flushed clean down to metal again. I have to believe that the car loves to be driven hard on a regular basis. If this engine is a slightly detuned race engine, then I'm convinved that with some sort of frequency, we should be taking it to red line as fast and as hard as it can get there. I'm also now convinced I need to upgrade the exhaust......not for the street, but for the benefit on the track.........I hit the limiter a little too often. If I had a louder exhaust, then even with the helmet on I wouldn't have to keep looking at the tach.
Anyway, this isn't really a useful post, but I have noticed this effect more than a few times now and thought I'd share.:biggrinbounce:
PS There were a couple of race tuned Mini Coopers that were fast a heck.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Yep......

I had a great day at Thunderhill last Monday. Good weather, only 10 cars or so per session, and only two groups, so we all got at least 10 -15 sessions in for the day. I noticed the same thing I did the last time I had a full track day..........the inside of my exhaust tips which are usually coated with soot, are now flushed clean down to metal again. I have to believe that the car loves to be driven hard on a regular basis. If this engine is a slightly detuned race engine, then I'm convinved that with some sort of frequency, we should be taking it to red line as fast and as hard as it can get there. I'm also now convinced I need to upgrade the exhaust......not for the street, but for the benefit on the track.........I hit the limiter a little too often. If I had a louder exhaust, then even with the helmet on I wouldn't have to keep looking at the tach.
Anyway, this isn't really a useful post, but I have noticed this effect more than a few times now and thought I'd share.:biggrinbounce:
PS There were a couple of race tuned Mini Coopers that were fast a heck.
You're exactly right!! And I think your post was VERY useful. Folks need to be reminded what these cars were made for. 'Still amazes me how we can spend a whole day going balls out on a great track and these 4klb cars don't even cough, let alone break.

'Going to have to get up to Thunderhill sometime; looks like a great track.

Dan :checkeredflag:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I know what you mean... I try to get to 1-2 track days a year and the M5 loves it. It always feels stronger on the drive home. Our M5's love a good italian tune ;)... well done :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts