BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 93 3.8 does not have the engine belly pan / shroud that I have read about. How important is this pan and what is its function? If I should buy one, does anyone have a part number?

Thanks a lot!

Ed

·
Registered
868 Posts
Point8 said:
Hi all,

My 93 3.8 does not have the engine belly pan / shroud that I have read about. How important is this pan and what is its function? If I should buy one, does anyone have a part number?

Thanks a lot!

Ed

The belly pan creates down force. In fact so much that you can drive upside down in long tunnels if doing over 150mph. Very helpful when going through the Dartford Tunnel. hiha No I wish.

To be honest the belly pan does help airflow around the bottom of the block and helps stop rubbish, however it isn't critical and you wont do any harm by not having it. Just get it for completeness.

Best

M5 Powered

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I've driven my car without the pan's fitted, and I must say it's more stable now that they are. I've also had the one under the gearbox come adrift at about 240km/h on someone else's car and that's not funny! One corner dropped to form an airbrake on the LEFT HAND underside of the car. I immediately let up the throttle, but since I didn't know what happended I was afraid to use the brakes. Let's just say it was a relief when around 180km/h the whole thing just snapped from under the car and stability was returned....

Point8 said:
Hi all,

Thanks a lot!

Ed

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Stevie said:
I've also had the one under the gearbox come adrift at about 240km/h on someone else's car and that's not funny! One corner dropped to form an airbrake on the LEFT HAND underside of the car. ....
Not funny ouich :wroom:

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
There are two benefits of removing the air deflector...
1) you can see any small oil leaks BEFORE they become serious;
2) track temperatures are lower as there is more airflow around the engine bay as the air is not deflected past.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Mmm-Five said:
1) you can see any small oil leaks BEFORE they become serious;
Agreed :D But mine doesn't leak. :hihi:

Mmm-Five said:
2) track temperatures are lower as there is more airflow around the engine bay as the air is not deflected past.
The effect is only marginal as the cooling system is very effective. At least, on the provision that the coolant is replaced once in every two years. Furthermore, I haven't seen oil temperatures of >105°C with Castrol TWS 10W60! Not during Nordschleife runs and not during long high speed runs on the autobahn!

Furthermore, you don't want the front to be lifted at sections like Schweden-kreuz and Kesselchen :D

·
Registered
400 Posts
Point8 said:
Hi all,

Thanks a lot!

Ed
Also it stops your alloy oil pan getting cracked by a stone!!!

BobZ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.