BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I wasn't quite sure how to search or explain this... So here goes.

2008 BMW M5 Black. 87k, engine rebuilt by Troy Jeup. Car runs great.

But I noticed the other day that when I would lock my doors, the recognizable "lock chirp", was a completely different tone. Like a musical key off. I also noticed that my horn was also very, very pathetic sounding. As if my horn was replaced by a dogs chew toy.

A few days later, my horn and chirp resumed back to normal. Then today, the lock chirp and horn went back to the weak sounding tones. The only thing that I noticed was my car battery gave me an error message last week about voltage... I was on vacation for a week so my car sat there. The message went away.

Anyone ever experienced this? Thank you.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yes I have the same issue with the chirp once in a while but it's intermittent... started noticing it a few months ago. I was thinking maybe the speaker is getting wet or something similar. Thankfully the horn works perfectly fine though. Would be interested to know how to fix this eventually too.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
665 Posts
A couple possibilities I can think of:

1. Low battery voltage is affecting the sound generated by the high/low pitch horns and the DWA sine.
2. Water/foreign object(s) is getting into your horns and muffling the sound. (Drive through any puddles recently, or heavy rain?)

How's your battery voltage look with the car off?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I had the same problem with the chirp when locking and unlocking the doors. The sound was off. A few months back I had my original battery and alternator replaced and the problem went away. I'm assuming it was a low voltage issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
Dimm6
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing