BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have noticed that I have not been around for a while, some of you may not.

Unfortunately, I do not have my M5 anymore.

I know, it is sad and I will tell you all now that it is not by choice.

The sad fact is I was involved in a single car accident. The single car being my own.

I could deny the facts of and say the "car lost control and I do not know what happened" but that would be lie.

I was going too fast for conditions. There really is no other explanation.

I was on a road that I did not know very well. I insist that I was not going over the speed limit more than five miles an hour. The corner was sharp; about 70-degrees. The road was damp; it had rained earlier in the day and while there was no standing water, the road was 'darker' in some areas because of it and that may have contributed to the accident.

Ultimately, it was my responsibility.

The front-end pushed out, as I had experienced in more controlled situations, and I went off the road through some bushes. I came to rest after just kissing a rock.

The accident sounds bad but after a few days of inspection, the damage seemed limited to the hood, fenders, bumper and suspension. Of course there would be more damages but the car was not totaled as one might expect. I still believe it is totally repairable.

I owed money on the car which means that I had no other choice but to involve the insurance company. A lot of people do not understand that your insurance company protects the lien holder as much as it does yourself. I had no other choice.

I knew going into it that it was highly unlikely that they would pay to repair it but it still hurt immensely when I got the call.

So where am I now?

Well, I have halfheartedly looked at some random classifieds. Really, I don't know what to do. I thought of getting a 2007 M6 but I am not really in love with that car. I don't think anyone can argue woth the value of the E39 M5 at this point. I LOVE the M5 and for that reason I will probably get another one. I just have to find the right one, just like I did when I found the gem that I had in this one.

Sadly, I probably will not find one like I had before: full exhaust, Dinan Stage 4 software, BBK, etc.

I might have to "settle" for a stock M5. I do not mean to appear to look on stock M5 owners as less or anything like that but coming from what I had I will probably notice a difference.

The good news: I have a full set of OEM wheels including rears so I can install those on the front of the next M5 I get. I have post-facelift headlights with Umitza Predator halos that I planned to get upgraded with aftermarket low-beams projectors and amber taillights which I love. I have a black-faced cluster that I can get programmed for the next M5 that I get.

Clearly, it will not be ideal but I think I can enjoy any M5 that I get in the near future.

So, if anyone finds my M5, let me know and if anyone is looking to sell a well-appointed M5, let me know also.

Thanks,
Josiah

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Oh Josiah! Damn, son! I wondered where you had gone! I am so very sorry to hear this. You had such a beautiful and unique beast.

One thing I've learned over the past six months. Beast-ownership is more a state of mind than anything else. Nothing will stop you from finding and personalizing and perfecting another beast, and the next one will be even better. Why? Because of your mindset. Never waiver, never give up. You will find it.

Best,

Peter

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Sorry to hear, glad you are OK physically. Taking responsibilities for one's actions - now that is commendable and much too rare these days!

Let us know how your search goes!

Reactions: josiahg52

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
:(

LCM coding is on the house as motivation for another E39!!

your car, despite the stock(ish) appearance, was one of my favorite E39s, and the sound...

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. That is the thing I only realized too late: how unique my M5 was but there will be another one in my life. There really is no other car out there that will do it for me. If that means starting stock and beginning all over again, so be it.

Thanks for the offer, Matt! I will take you up on it when the time comes! A drive down to Maryland for a visit would be awesome.

-Josiah

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Josiah, I was thinking about you the other day, wondering where you've been hiding. So sorry to hear about your car. I remember riding with you the day you left here thinking "I want my car to sit like this and ride this smoothly". Still saving my pennies up for those!

Good luck with your next automotive venture, whatever it might be. Hopefully another Beast!

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, you guys are making me feel so bad for killing my Beast. That is all I remember how nice it felt and how nice it rode. It was so perfect!!!

Well, all of this it just motivation to create another Beast.

SOMEONE is going to pick up a totally repairable Beast when they find mine at auction. I hope they find this forum.

-Josiah

·
Registered
991 Posts
I don't understand what happened here.. your car wasn't totalled, but it's not going to be repaired? Because you owe money on it? Why not just get it repaired and tack on the repair bill to the total owed (if insurance won't bail you out for the collision)?

What gives? Sorry for your loss.. any chance you could hit up the auction and buy back your car?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I feel your pain. I had a close friend of mine recently kill my NSX, which had MANY hours of labor, love, and money put into it. He thought he was a cowboy, lost control, and I paid the price. Thankfully nobody was hurt in both situations.

Everything will work out.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The car was 'totaled' by the insurance company. The insurance company paid the lien holder and I got a few thousand dollars out of it. The car went to a dealer only auction I believe but I never found out where or when. The car is absolutely repairable despite the totaled label but in these situations it is a simple matter of math for the insurance company as to whether they will pay to repair the vehicle. In this case, given the current market and because of my advanced mileage, they felt that it was not worth repairing. Hopefully it finds its way to another board member who will take care of it and actually give the detais on what was needed to get it back on the road. I am only speculating as to the repairability of the vehicle; it could be worse than I thought.

-J

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
That is a horror story Josiah. VERY glad you are ok, very sad for your loss. Find a new one, let your friends be your crutch, and rock that thing out!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
it could be worse than I thought.

-J

It usually is. There can be a lot of hidden damage in an accident, and these cars are quite complex and (as we all know) very expensive to repair.

That's a shame. As stated before, the important thing is that you are OK. And kudos for being a man and admitting your fault.

Remember this guys: water is slippery.

Hey, you know, my car was wrecked (2 car accident) and totalled just over 3 years ago. After all that I went through to find that beauty, I didn't want to go through it again so I bought an E92. That was nice, but no M. So I looked, half-heartedly, for another M5 but nothing did it for me, so I bought an F10. Great car, but even less of an M than the E92. Then I ran across my next car, a 2000 M5 almost by accident (I was actually looking for an E34). This one was just too nice to pass up, so I bought it.

There are nice cars still out there, they're just fewer in number than they used to be. And you may have to pay a premium if you want an above-average example, but be patient grasshopper, it will come along.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Dang Josiah, I feel bad for you sir. Your car was beautiful. Glad to hear that you are still considering an E39. As Peter eluded to, its more than just a car to some of us.

Let us know what your criteria is and we can find you another one :)

Keep in touch buddy. Wishing you the best and thanks for keeping our Countries equipment going.

Steve

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Even if you don't find a new one by June, you better be at Timmayfest. You're in the family now, you can't just quit. It's kind of like the mob.......

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Wow! Very sorry to hear that your ///M has been taken away.

I am surprised to hear that the DSC didn't save you. I went round a hairpin way excessively [probably by a factor of two] only to find that the apex was all ice. I had no hope of saving it and saw nothing but the wall of rock that was in my impending future. I held onto the steering wheel and somehow the DSC saw me stay on the road. I felt it do its thing and simply came to a stop on the road. I was amazed and even managed to slow down for a bit for the rest of the ride home.

I hope that you find yet another ///M with the soul you're looking for. What I've seen is if you take your time, you'll find what you're looking for. Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Damn Josiah, sorry for your loss. I too thought your beast was very unique and a fine example of tasteful mods.

Glad your ok, and kudos for taking responsibility in a public forum.

My vote is to keep your eyes out for another beast, buy it up, and make sure your in Columbus for the 'fest!

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This corner was tight and it was only a very narrow two-lane coastal road. I think there simply was no room for DSC to intervene. I ended up off of the road but parallel to the exit and outside of the turn. As I mentioned before I had experienced this type of action in the car before and the DSC indicator did not come on those times either. Did it this time? I don't know. DSC is probably what kept me from careening off the road entirely, though. I didn't hit anything just went through some heavy brush. No impact, engine was still running. It was a very strange accident for me as it happened sooooo slowly. I had time to remember to clutch in and brake because I thought I was going to spin and I remember going through the shrubs or whatever and thinking about the paint getting scratched. I think that it actually would have been better if I had just spun out; maybe I would have stayed on the road, maybe there would have been only slight damage to the rear. Who knows. At least there was no other cars coming.

-J

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear, but pleased you are physically unhurt... Full respect for taking such a candid view of the accident - not many people would. We all make mistakes, but clever people learn from them. :cheers:

Cars seem to get under your skin - daft for what is really a mass produced, factory built box with four wheels, but get under your skin they do. I'm sure you'll eventually find a replacement, whether it's one already modded to your tastes or one that requires some tinkering. Happy hunting and I hope the emotional scars from your adventure into the undergrowth heal soon.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
josiahg, sorry to read about the loss of your beast. while i may not know you personally like some of the other board members, your board name did strike me as one that i hadn't seen in a while, so, welcome back! glad to see you're ok and good luck with finding a new beast! no worries man, time heals all and before you know it you'll have another M5 for a fresh start!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts