BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
spending the rest of the day claying and zaino'ing the M5.. Here are some pics of my clean steel gray e46 and dirty Sterling E39... :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
you're right, I spent the day in SF including the Ferry Bldg's farmer's market. It's really nice, lots of good food and drink.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Hey SANguru,

Nice M's. :viking:

If you combined them together you'd get this. :cheers:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good eye! mods include.. Eisenmann Race Exhaust with midpipes, shark injector, GC double adj coilovers with 600/500# springs and adj. camber plates, stongard, tint, NAV TV, and euro rotors up front.:)

M5Kid said:
Nice looking cars. Whats on the M3? I noticed a new suspension, exhaust, and tint.

Travis

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mark,

I love that color! :)

How do you like your Tubi? Thinking of ordering it soon...

MIB said:
Hey SANguru,

Nice M's. :viking:

If you combined them together you'd get this. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
you're right, I spent the day in SF including the Ferry Bldg's farmer's market.
Was down in SF 1.5 weeks ago and visited the Ferry Building. Very nice indeed, with lots of nice upper scale food markets.

Travis

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
GC double adj coilovers with 600/500# springs and adj. camber plates
How is this particular setup for everyday use/road use? I assume that GC offers a variety of different (softer) spring setups for E46 M3 suspension systems?

Travis

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no... I'm in Dublin.

Osodog said:
Are you anywhere near the Lamorinda area? There are at least 5 M5's in Orindad/Moraga that I know of.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
really good.. The ride is actually better than stock if you put the Koni's a qtr turn from full soft. At the track, you can turn up the stiffness on the shocks and slap on the R-Compounds and you're all set for some serious fun... :wroom:

GC also let's you pick and choose your spring setup but I feel the 600/500 is the best compromise and the best match for the koni's for street and some track use.

M5Kid said:
How is this particular setup for everyday use/road use? I assume that GC offers a variety of different (softer) spring setups for E46 M3 suspension systems?

Travis

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
SANguru said:
Mark,

I love that color! :)

How do you like your Tubi? Thinking of ordering it soon...
Hey SANguru,

I love the Tubi. Not only is it a Musical Masterpiece, but it is extreme Eyecandy as well.

Its the perfect no compromise exhaust for the beast.

You save quite a bit of weight with it. It has its own eye candy, seperate resonators with its own built in X-pipe.

Its one of the very few that actually ADD Power. Powerchip have a very slight change in there chip for Tubi as well to capitalise on the Power increase.

MJ

Thanks Joe. cherrsagai

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Awesome M3. I am in the market for one now. Steel gray looks nice.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Chuckc,

Any thoughts on the Competition Package? I just read an article in the latest Motor Trend that did a writeup on the M3 with Competition Package. They said that it was a very nice addition, as the brakes were much improved (fade free), and the quicker steering box and less instrusive DSC were welcomed changes.

If it were me, I would look into an M3 with Competition Package and SMG. If your plans were to do some track work, I feel the car would be more enjoyable and suited for that environment. Furthermore, a BBK wouldn't be necessary anymore. Perhaps GC coilovers and R-compounds would be the only changes needed, if your real serious.

Travis

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Great pics! Like SG for the M5 too. :thumbsup:

New M3- competition package is a good idea. I would do it. If you will be doing a significant amount of track work and really are not a heel/toe master then SMG makes sense. If you will do very little-no track work then SMG is a more controversial option and I would not choose it- though I can see why someone else might. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
M5Kid said:
Chuckc,

Any thoughts on the Competition Package? I just read an article in the latest Motor Trend that did a writeup on the M3 with Competition Package. They said that it was a very nice addition, as the brakes were much improved (fade free), and the quicker steering box and less instrusive DSC were welcomed changes.

If it were me, I would look into an M3 with Competition Package and SMG. If your plans were to do some track work, I feel the car would be more enjoyable and suited for that environment. Furthermore, a BBK wouldn't be necessary anymore. Perhaps GC coilovers and R-compounds would be the only changes needed, if your real serious.

Travis
Yes, intially I was very interested in the comp pkg. A friend of mine, who has been racing BMWs and teaching in driving schools for well over a decade took one out at a track in Buttonwillow, CA. He currently has an E46 M3 with a basic setup for track work (Bilstein suspension, 6 spd, stock motor, track pads, SSRs with Kumho MXs). His review of the comp package is as follows:

1. Track mode DSC - intrusive just when it is starting to get fun. The owner of the car turns it off on the track, and so did my friend.
2. Brakes - a little better than the standard M3 brakes. I am not sure if the stock pads were being used.
3. Steering - not that noticable of a change
4. Suspension - better than the suspension that came on pre-2005 M3s (all 2005s M3s share the same suspension now) For track work he placed it between the pre-2005s and his Bilstein setup.

Final analysis: Too little, too late.

:M5launch:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Final analysis: Too little, too late.
Interesting and informative post, thank you. The feedback of your friend is a little different than that of what Motor Trend said, as they expressed that it was a step closer to the CSL, a step in the right direction.

I still am intrigued by the Competition Package, however, an low mileage and clean '03 or '04 M3 can readily be found for attractive pricing.

What are you thinking about doing when purchasing your M3? Used or new? What options and color combination do you have in mind?

Interesting thread, indeed.

Travis

1 - 20 of 29 Posts