BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

We had the first meeting of the Ontario Beastowners Club (OBC) this past Sunday. Not as many turned out as expected, but I know it will grow. All the guys who showed up were a great bunch and true M5 guys - interested in performance, improving driving skills, etc.

Our local Dinan dealer came and gave everyone a nice silver card holder with the BMW logo on a graphite type background - very sharp. Also lots of information. He also cleared up the proper oil to use, based on his hands on experience- to wit: His machining guy told him that all the M3's he serviced had hardly any issues with the engine wear recall or problem that model was experiencing, and he was sure it had to do with the proper oil. Lots of great technical info.

Randy Thoro, a very accomplished professional driver showed up in his near perfect 2002 and had some great stories and driving tips - we will be having some classroom sessions with him and also some track days. He has already contacted his racing buddies and we now have 4-5 instructors who, as he said, are always into burning some free rubber. BTW-his team was the very first EVER to race an M5. Funny story was that when they called BMW in Germany for some setup advice, they said, "Acht to Liber! We don't know - no one has ever track prepared an M5!"

It was also very cool to have all the cars lined up. From inside the restaurant we could see people admiring the cars and at least three people were seen taking picutures.

All in all it was a great day culminating with a "victory lap" parade down to the highway and a 3-4 km run before everyone peeled off to go home.

Some pics attached here.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Looks like a nice little meet! Meeting others in person, sharing stories and tips on driving is always a blast. Good luck rounding up everyone!
Great looking little 2002! Those cars are absolute blasts to drive.
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Congratulations on a very successful first meeting--way to go!!! Thanks for the pics and write-up and wishing many more meetings!

And I like your club name too :haha:

I think I'm going to regret this, but I gotta ask--What the heck kind of "shop" are you all parked in front of :eek:

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
Anita said:
I think I'm going to regret this, but I gotta ask--What the heck kind of "shop" are you all parked in front of :eek:
I was just going to ask the same question as well... hiha

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'm going to regret this, but I gotta ask--What the heck kind of "shop" are you all parked in front of :eek:[/QUOTE]
It's a restaurant/sports bar place called "Philty McNasties". Reserved front row "seating" for the Beasts of course.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I am not sure what kind of name Philty McNasties is, but I like it, sounds like my kind of place, Josh

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Tom Burns said:
It's a restaurant/sports bar place called "Philty McNasties". Reserved front row "seating" for the Beasts of course.

Thanks for the response! Not to get this post way off track, but I can't help but wonder how the interior is decorated :hihi: Hope what's inside doesn't tempt Josh more :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
It is always good to see enthusiasts getting together to SHARE THE PASSION :noSMG:

I look forward to reading reports of your forthcoming meets.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
bmwusa said:
I am not sure what kind of name Philty McNasties is, but I like it, sounds like my kind of place, Josh
You should come out to Phoenix. One of our favorite little dive bars just changed names from "The Vine" to "Buster McNutty's." For some reason the appeal just isnt there anymore.

·
Registered
837 Posts
BmwNut said:
You should come out to Phoenix. One of our favorite little dive bars just changed names from "The Vine" to "Buster McNutty's." For some reason the appeal just isnt there anymore.
If I am ever in Phoenix I will look it up, Josh
I like new places and beercherrsagai

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Great stuff Tom :thumbsup:

You had a fine turnout for a first meet - I know from experience that it takes time to build up a core group of attendees. A nice lunch usually does the trick ;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey 'Tom'

Thanks for setting up the meet. I had a great time, and it was wonderful to see you and the other guys out there..David and Andrew,

Randy's little 2002 was neat to see, as was Sam's Dinan M3. I'll upload a couple of pics when I find my camera.

Best part had to be the 'parade lap' down the highway. What a blast....4 M5s dogging in and out of traffic at not quite the speed limit. I think we should plan to get at least 10 of us out for the next meet, and do a 100Km run up north somewhere for lunch, etc. Track time would be good as well.

Tells Sammy he owes me some cigars!

//Vic

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Silverstreak said:
How fast were you driving? That looks like crime scene tape in front.
Everyone pulled in very calmly. But after drinking 6 pitchers of beer each to wash down all the pills, we smoked the communal crack pipe then hit the road to demonstrate our "heightend" driving skills. cherrsagai :hihi:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
vvanherk said:
Hey 'Tom'

Tells Sammy he owes me some cigars!

//Vic
He owes you some cigars? I guess you fored over $10,000 for those rims you liked.hiha

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd just like to say thanks to Tom for organizing the Beastowners inaugural meeting and to all who attended. It was a pleasure to be invited. I enjoyed meeting everyone and look forward to seeing you again.

Sorry I had to leave the meeting a little early. I'll make sure I can stay longer the next time. There's nothing better than sitting around and doing a little "bench racing"!!!

I hope to have a couple cool videos to show next time. I'll also try to get my crew chief and a co-racer to come out. They've got some great stories as well as a vast amount of driving/racing knowledge.

I think the next meeting should be on a patio with the hardware in plain view!

Thanks again,
Cheers...

P.S. I'd love to get a picture of my little 2002 sandwiched between a $1,000,000.00 worth of M5's!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Senna 27 said:
I'd just like to say thanks to Tom for organizing the Beastowners inaugural meeting and to all who attended. It was a pleasure to be invited. .

To all M5 Board members: While Senna does not actually own an M5, he did pilot the first ever M5 to be prepared as a track car. And given his credentials, (see below), I think we can let him stay here, at least on a probationary basis. :7:

• 1986 Graduated from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Spenard-David</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Racing</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">School</st1:placeType></st1:place> – Shannonville
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

• 1986-1995 Raced a Tsunami Formula Ford (F1600)
    • Mosport
    • <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Shannonville</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Motorsport</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Park</st1:placeType></st1:place>
    • Watkins Glen
    • Mont-Tremblant
    • Mid-Ohio
    • Nelson Ledges
<o:p></o:p>

• 1987 Finished 3<SUP>rd</SUP>. in the <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Ontario</st1:place></st1:State> Formula Ford Championship

• 1987 <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Winner</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Beach</st1:placeType></st1:place> Auto/Wag Wheels Formula Ford Cup

• 1987 Winner BARC – Gord Wakeling Hi-Speed Award

• 1987 <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Ontario</st1:place></st1:State> Ice Racing Champion and Rookie of the Year

• 1987 Formula Ford - Rubber Side Up Award – Big Crash!

• 1996 Raced a BMW M5 in the Michelin Enduroseries

• 1997 Raced a Mustang Cobra in the Motorola Cup

• 90 Races – 27 Wins – 62 Podiums – 12 Pole Positions – 3 DNF’s<o:p></o:p>

Instruction

• 1987-2000
    • Canadian Automobile Sports Clubs - Race Instructor
    • Sports Car Club of <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">America</st1:place></st1:country-region> - Race Instructor
    • BMW Car Club of <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Canada</st1:place></st1:country-region> – Track Day Instructor
    • BMW Car Club of <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">America</st1:place></st1:country-region> – Track Day Instructor
    • Ferrari Car Club of <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">America</st1:place></st1:country-region> – Track Day Instructor
GM Canadian New Car Announcement Tour – Instructor/Driver

1 - 17 of 17 Posts