BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
I either wash it at home, or to one of those self car washes. I bring a wash mitt and a leather chammois. I use the brush they have to splash the soap on the car's surface, making sure the brush NEVER touches the paint. It works very nicely :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
tripleD said:
Both, but caveat emptor. I have noticed several large surface scratch marks in a semi circle fashion on my car recently and I believe it's from using a dirty wash mitt. If you are not the first car they do for the day and they do not change the water or rinse their wash mitt, I believe there is a great likelyhood of them scratching your car with these dirty mitts.

TripleD
When I wash my car at home I always have 2 buckets, 1 with soapy water, another with fresh clean water. When my mitts get dirty I rinse it in one of the buckets with just water before put it back in the soapy water, always ensuring that the mitt is clean. I from time to time replace the dirty water with fresh water. At car washes they are racing against time to get your
car done so they can wash the next car so they don't pay attention to the little details like ensuring that the mitt is always clean and debris free.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Fraid I go to one of those drive in hand washes in London.

Pay a tenner, drive in and your decended on by 5 YTS/Bulgarian/Romanian 's that do a fine job.

Don't have the kit and easy accesability to do anything other than end up with swirls (Carbon Black) if I do it myself.

Just bought a load of leather care products for the inside to do my self though.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
"Do you bathe your own children, or do you take them to the babymat?" :hihi:

I wash the M's myself. Not as often as some of the others here, but often enough...

I take the other cars to the carwash. Don't care so much about those.

:cheers:

·
10,450 Posts
M-Fünf said:
"Do you bathe your own children, or do you take them to the babymat?" :hihi:

:cheers:

Now there's an idea Jeff, a baby-bathe. Make it sound like the kids get a spa treatment, offer the parents a latte or something... Man, you could build a wash rack out back, the father's could wash their M cars while the kids were being washed... (I think there was a three stooges episode about a kid wash).

I wash my own, (cars and kids) every couple weeks (kids daily, boys get dirty), more if possible. I usually alternate my car and my wifes car weekly.
Mike :cheers:

·
Registered
842 Posts
How many times have we had this thread now? Three, four times at least. Don't any of you remember how it always ends. Anyone who uses a car wash gets called a barbarian. Those of us who live somewhere that there actually is a winter make excuses and commiserate about trying to wash our cars in the rain or sub-freezing temperatures. Some of us tell of ingenious ways of washing our M5's through the hard winter months. Those of us in Florida and So-Cal and such places scratch our heads and ask, "What is snow?". Many offer special hints, tips and treatments. Some offer pictures and even step-by-step guidelines. I always remind myself that I love my car, but I'm not in love with my car.

Derek

. . . and yes, I do use an automated car wash - about four times a week through the winter months. SACRILEGE!

·
Registered
962 Posts
I spose I'm not the best example of someone who enjoys a soapy car wank.

I bought the car with a keying scratch all down the drivers side. Will fix it one day, but am more interested in how it makes me feel deep down and dirty and and and ...

I'm going out for drive :hihi:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Myself.

I was thinking of using child or immigrant workers too - like some other previous posts...

but, now I am too worried about swirl marks - so I do it myself.

CA dust it whenever I get the chance - **** black cars - notice every bit of dust!

J

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Hand wash about once a week for me as well. Sometimes more if you hit some nasty storms in the winter.

·
Registered
119 Posts
. . . and yes said:
WOW....why bother washing it 4 times a week if you live in the Willamette Valley during the winter, it's just going to get dirty again.....??? :crying:

Paul

transplanted Oregonian who must count being able to handwash the car year round in SOCAL as one of the few blessing of not being back in Portland or Bend.....

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
. . . and yes, I do use an automated car wash - about four times a week through the winter months. SACRILEGE!
**** straight, this should be a felony crime! I agree with you, Derek, love your car, but don't be in love with your car. I would rather spend my time driving it than washing it, granted a clean car is nice.

Travis

21 - 34 of 34 Posts