BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Merging onto the freeway tonight, I shifted into second at around 6K. Trying to get into 3rd I got nothing. After nearly getting wiped off the planet by a 18 wheeler, I managed to get over to the shoulder and realize that I could not move the shifter out of second at all.

Here's what is going on:

The shifter is closer to neutral position than second, and there is mostly normal lateral play and resistance. It will NOT move forward or back.

The clutch works fine. I am able to drive the car in second. Fortunately I was only 3 miles from home. Pedal travel and resistance is normal.

Under the car there is no visible problem with the shift linkage or tranny fluid leaks.

I have searched and found that PedM5 had a similar issue a few years ago but there are no follow up posts describing what actually needed repair. I have a PM in to him and am awaiting response.

I have found the following post and am hoping this is not my issue, I really can't afford to drop the transmission right now with recent expenses:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...transmission-what-went-wrong-how-i-fixed.html

Anyone have anything like this before? I going to continue searching through all the info, but this is my daily driver and I need to get it up and running asap.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Oh, and if there is anyone in San Diego or SoCal that can help me tackle this project, please contact me. maybe we can work something out...

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I guess I stumped everyone? I thought it couldn't be done...

Ped replied, basically he needed a new transmission. The car goes in tomorrow to get the tranny pulled. I will see if it is just the detents or if it turns out to be internal requiring a replacement.

In which case, anyone selling a transmission? SoCal preferred...

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
I don't think you stumped us necessarily. Judging by your first post we all agree you are on the right track and in that vein, already know what the problem is.

Hope it all works out with the least amount of headache (and cash outlay). I'm dreading the day this happens to me.

Reactions: dpbdc

·
Registered
152 Posts
Happened to me. I tried playing with the detents which didn't do anything. I ended up tearing the trans apart and un-jamming it! There was no broken parts or anything that needed to be replaced, it was just jammed... I've put about 20k miles since with no issues. I would encourage you to rip it apart before you buy another one because at this point you have nothing to looze. If it doesn't work there is a nice trans for sale in fs section from churious. Good luck!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Also happened to me with a stock LUK clutch after replacing the original by BMW. Within less than 5k miles, it got stuck in gear. The clutch disk was defective and the material had somehow ripped off causing it to get stuck. Good luck.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sorry to hear it. That sucks. I am in SD if you need anything. I can't pull your tranny for you but can be here for moral support. If it turns out you don't need a tranny, I'd be happy to help you with whatever I can.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Yup... you need a new transmission. This happened to me on my E46 M3 and I too ended up getting another transmission.

I have a mint used tranny for sale with low miles. PM me if your interested. :typing:

·
Registered
160 Posts
This happened to my friends 540i. The coolant level warning was late, and told us the level was low when it was actually empty.
We kept driving the car all day, and eventually the car wouldn't go into gear.
We were driving along (probably in 4th), then the clutch started slipping. Eventually, smoke starting coming out of the engine.
We pulled it over, at which point the car was stuck in neutral.
We saw that the coolant was all gone, so we filled it back up. We somehow got the car into first, but then it was stuck in first.
The clutch had to be replaced.
Maybe your car just has a burnt out clutch?

·
Registered
848 Posts
This happened to my friends 540i. The coolant level warning was late, and told us the level was low when it was actually empty.
We kept driving the car all day, and eventually the car wouldn't go into gear.
We were driving along (probably in 4th), then the clutch started slipping. Eventually, smoke starting coming out of the engine.
We pulled it over, at which point the car was stuck in neutral.
We saw that the coolant was all gone, so we filled it back up. We somehow got the car into first, but then it was stuck in first.
The clutch had to be replaced.
Maybe your car just has a burnt out clutch?
What? :confused2 ha-ha maybe a little too much of cherrsagai

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
Depending on WHO does the work, you may get DIFFERENT recomendations.

BMW's official position is the transmission is UNSERVICEABLE.

But we know that a jammed selector rod can be unjammed.

In the posts above, I am going to opine that folks that "needed" a new tranny just happened to visit shops that were using the "BMW recommendation".

Its not that they were lying, just that they'd never tried...or just easier to go with the party line.

So, beware- the advice you get is not necessarily completely driven by facts and reality.

A

1 - 12 of 12 Posts