BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I recently acquired my Beast a few months ago, all the service indicator lights were green and present when they light up upon starting the car (it had just had the oil changed a few hundred miles before). That continued on as I put a couple thousand miles on it...then suddenly I was seeing only 1 green bar left! I'm used to seeing the bars drop gradually as time and miles pass by...is that normal?

Then, much to my surprise, I find the Beast toying with me last week as it's now back showing a handful of greens again. Huh?? I did a quick archive search but didn't see anything like this in there. Thoughts? :confused2

Thanks,
SP

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
That sounds like a software glitch somewhere. The green light decrease based on the amount of fuel used since the system was last reset (last service).
I am not sure what to do but maybe consider a software reflash form the dealer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Curious question: Have you tried the SIA XXXX L test to see how much fuel remains between services when the green lights are at one and then when they randomly switch to full?

My first post in a year. Can you believe I wanted to sell my car and buy a 997? It's nice to be back.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mine will do the same thing.

3 bars one day. 1 the next.

Not sure what the problem is. Although I have a bad case of the dash pixel problem so I chocked it up to that.

I planned on getting the pixels repaired and seeing if that fixed the service indicator problem.

Not sure if they are related at all.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ditto, happens to me too. I don't even think the reset does anything anymore either, I tried resetting the lights after an oil change and nothing...oh well, as long as the engine's still pushing out 400HP :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ditto, happens to me too. I don't even think the reset does anything anymore either, I tried resetting the lights after an oil change and nothing...oh well, as long as the engine's still pushing out 400HP :)
That's the spirit! LOL. Haven't tried any resets yet myself but as it doesn't change daily I'm just going to keep an eye on it. Also going to be attempting the pixel repair deal myself so who knows, perhaps that could help things out. :blink:

SP

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hey Doc,

Just be careful when doing the pixel repair yourself, many have tried and ended up with springs and needles all over the place, never to be put back together properly again. Good luck with it though! :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Doc,

Just be careful when doing the pixel repair yourself, many have tried and ended up with springs and needles all over the place, never to be put back together properly again. Good luck with it though! :)
Doh. I didn't state that very well - what I meant was that I am dealing with the pixel issue myself but hope to contact the same BMW NA lady and get it resolved as so many others have, under goodwill at dealership for 1 hr labor cost. After reading some of the thread info on the DIY pixel repair, that didn't sound like the way to go for me.

thanks for the advice tho! :cheers:

SP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts