BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks back we had our first BMW club track day of the year, so M5Kid and myself made the short trip to Portland International Raceway to meet up with Derek(SuretyAgent) and Bert(Fst_Fwd). Derek was the only one to partake in the event, but he let us all go for a ride. Besides Derek I believe there were 2 more M5s there, plus a few others there to watch. All in all it was a great time and I cannot wait for the next one. Thanks Derek for the rides, and Bert for lunch.

Here are a few of the pictures I took. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Was a fun day. Nice pictures Sam, the first two of Bert's M5 are very nice.

I will post a thread with a few thoughts on the day/track work with an M5, along with a few pictures shortly.

Travis

·
Registered
189 Posts
Great pictures! Thanks for sharing! :noSMG:

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Great pics Sam, way to put a good camera to use. That is my first time seeing Berts car, and it is a beauty. Didnt feel like getting the Passat out on the track Sam?
:cheers:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Very nice pics.

How good is a M5 on track with no modifications vs with mods (noticible differences)?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your windows need to either be all the way down or all the way up. Having them down keeps you cool so that is why. Dereks M5 is completly stock, minus his B&B Exhaust.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
How good is a M5 on track with no modifications vs with mods (noticible differences)?
Ofcourse there is a noticable difference. A stock M5 is a heavy car with tendencies to understeer and shred tires. Also, the brakes will fade once a driver becomes more confident. Equipped with a new suspension (Dinan Stg. 3, GC Coilover, etc.), proper BBK, and R-compounds, the car will do surprisingly well. It's a 3900lb car, and although the stock components are pretty good, they have their limitations.

Travis

·
Registered
86 Posts
on a stock M5 do you find the front tires get shredded much more than the rears due to the understeer? Or is there a tendancy to shred both front and rear?

How difficult is it to do a pad swap with the brakes and what pads are most people running here on stock brakes?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just posted elsewhere what shredded front tires look like. It was a post regarding Goodyear Eagle DSG3's. The front will shred before the rears. They held up far better than I thought, but I believe my sessions were too long for them. Eventually they over heated and let go. The track was clockwise, so the LH front gave out. The LH rear tire was brand new because it had a plug from a nail that I didn't want to use on the track. Well, that tire was pretty much wasted, too. So I put the plugged tire back on. Both fronts got replaced. Somewhat expensive lesson, but far cheaper than having a blowout. Which from the looks of it, wasn't too far away. The car is bone stock except for the rerouted intakes, and brake intakes (HD). I wasn't as hard on the brakes as I was the tires, and though there was lots of pedal travel, they held up all day. And the pads aren't trashed, either. My lap times were excellent - I was very impressed and surprised with what the car could do. I was expecting heavy understeer, but was pleased that it was more subtle.

I was resisting tracking the car until I bought track wheels/tires, then had notions of selling the car. The Goodyears were new, so I figured I'd give it a shot at the track with street tires. If there is a next time in this car, I will have R compounds. Otherwise, I'll have to back off a bit, and that's no fun on the track.

By the way, at the events I've attended, it's mandatory that the window next to a passenger be down, rain or shine. That way if you get jerked around, your head won't break the glass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts