BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Beast nr 2

39K views 187 replies 28 participants last post by  Frits 
#1 ·
After enjoying my E39 M5 for about 4 years now, the kilometers are getting higher and higher, and parts start to fail. The engine is still strong, but at least once per month, something breaks, and I need to replace parts.
It's time to move on. I've been thinking about this a lot, and I can't find any replacement for the price I'm wanting to spend (€20k without mods), other than the E39 M5.

So I started looking for E39 M5's again, just like 4 years ago. Since I want to keep the next one again for about 4 years, it should be one with not too many kilometers, at most 125.000. I finally found one in Germany, not too far from where I live. 112.800 kms, 1999, all the facelift parts (bought and installed at dealer), carbon black, black interior, titanium trim, MKIV, 16/9, phone, Bilstein PSS9, Eisenmann exhausts, 19" OEM M6 rims. I went to check it out yesterday, did a test drive, and decided to buy it. Will be picking it up by the end of the week.

#3 ·
I was open for anything, I just wanted 16/9, MKIV, low kilometers, nothing suspicious, complete facelift look (it has the tacho, steering wheel, navi, phone, headlights, taillights...), and a fair price.
It doesn't bother me that it's no real facelift version, my current M5 is also a prefacelift with all the newer goodies.

#4 ·
CONGRATS!

Congratulations dude, you are right there isn't much out there that can replace a beast. Nice catch too...all the basci mods are done. I think Mark will be jealous, since it is the same color and all. I missed the get together 2 sundays ago, I cant wait to meet you guys and to check out your new beast.

#9 ·
I'll be happy to drive the buggy-version ;)

The color is carbon black for now, but in a few months, when all planned mods are done, it'll be avus blue. The color I allready wanted for my current M5. This time I'll do all the mods I want right ahead, and start driving it once it's finished. When you drive a car for 4 years, you get a pretty good idea of what mods you really want, and what mods you won't do anymore.

I'll only start driving the car in about 3 months. It should be finished by then.

#12 ·
Good strategy! :thumbsup:

Dave

#18 ·
Congratulations! Now, if you happen to have a spare set of OEM 18" wheels in immaculate condition for sale... ;)

#21 ·
Hehe, Mark, nice meeting you again!!!

Ok, so I got home too now. What can I say about the car... My friend drove it home from Germany (I thought it would be the easiest to let him drive the 'new' one, since my 'old' m5 has this very heavy clutch, which is a pain in the *** if you're not used to it). So I only drove it from my shop to my home. OK, I didn't take the shortest road. I took the most fun route.

First impressions:
* My old M5 is currently running crappy tyres in the rear, and PS2s up front. That's quite fun. The new one is running crappy tyres on all four corners. That's eurh... annoying. It was wet, and while it's fun to feel the rear tyres sliding, and feel the rear end going a tiny bit left and right, it's not at all fun to feel the front tyres seaking grip on an almost straight, yet bumpy, road.
* Low end power is better than my old one, but top end is worse. At least, it feels like that.
* PSS9 rules! This suspension succeeds in giving a 2 ton car a go-cart-like behaviour. I love it!
* There's something different with the brakes. They have more bite, and they can't be stock, because the stock pads wouldn't be able to hold on for the entire duration of the joy-ride home.
* I should check the guibo and the differential silent block. At least one of them is failing...

#24 ·
Frits,

I think you definitely qualify as a petrol-head now (more than before)! :applause:

Hoping to see her pulling some high numbers next week!

Congrats! :cheers:

#27 ·
I need to see this car Frits! I wonder how full leather looks like :)

#28 ·
Full leather looks, urh... leather everywhere :D Just saw the panel below the rear window (what is that called in English anyway?), you know, behind the rear seats, that's leather too!!

What I feel on the drivetrain is that at first the car doesn't seem to do anything after I shift, and I feel/hear bang, and then it goes normal again. So the engine/gearbox is allready turning a bit faster, but the wheels are not following yet, because of some part in between has some room to torque. When it's at the end of that torque, the wheels have to follow again, that's when I think I can feel/hear the bang.

The differential silent block is a rubber bush that keeps the differential in the right position. If that part fails, the differential can move a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.