BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been mentioned before but i'll post it to share the experience and as an extra reminder.

The beast does NOT like the snow at all. There was heavy snow in the southeast part of the country last week. I was on the way home before it started snowing. People dont really know how to drive here in the south when there's any sort of weather. Especially when it comes to rain or snow (there's even traffic jams here "just because" of light rain). Anyways... before there's any sort of the snow accumulating on the road, somebody on the highway gets into an accident and it ends up blocking all lanes. I only had 1/4 tank left and i knew that if i sat on the highway long enough, i would run out really fast. So after waiting a while i decide to pull off at the exit i was at to get gas.

At this time there was starting to be accumulation on the road. Not much at all. Just barely visible. Most of the cars were doing fine unless they had bald tires. But the M5 got ZERO traction. I mean ZERO. The turnoff after the off-ramp had a very slight incline and that was it. The beast was stuck and couldnt' get up. Ended up getting stuck in the middle of the road for 2 days. Could not even get enough traction to pull over into the parking lot 15 feet away. No tow companies were towing even though most people were doing fine. The only other cars i saw stranded on the road were similar performing cars (6 series, other 5 series with sport packages, corvettes) or cars with balding tires. Even a call to 911 and they said that their tow trucks weren't running and i was on my own. (i only called 911 since i didn't want my car to end up blocking traffic and thus make the traffic jam worse).

Managed to get home 30 miles away by getting creative. The neighborhood i was in was really shady and there were no hotels nearby.

Lessons here:
People in this part of the country go crazy when there's precip
Dont take an M5 out in the snow
Not even light snow
M5's with snow tires seem to do ok
Dont take an M5 out in the snow

·
Registered
911 Posts
I live in the midwest and my M5 gets along fine in the snow. Since you live in the South East you are probably on your high performance summer tires. They are not made for snow or cold temps for that matter. Below 40 degrees the summer tire are worthless and most high performance tires come with the warning not to drive in the snow. Like anything else you have to have the proper tools to do the job right, which means dedecated snow tires for driving in the snow. I know you don't get much snow down south so snow tires don't make good sense. Best advice would be to find another mode of transportation when snow is in the forcast, but don't blame the beast if you don't out fit it properly.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
You didn´t have snowtires I suppose? Then stop complaining and get yourself some real snowtires and you´ll be ok.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
You probably have performance summer tires. They literally become the equivalent of a had plastic doughnut in cold temps and are completely worthless...

The M5 does fine in cold weather, but you need the right tires.

Even a fully built 4x4 off road super vehicle with the wrong tires won't make it 3 inches in mud.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Funny - my M5 loves the snow! Drove home in a blizzard two weeks ago and the Beast was solid and sure-footed. Alpin Sports were a good investment and I'm totally confident - just have to drive smart and be extra vigilant, because danger lurks.
I drove a 535xi the past two winters, and I was a little worried about going DD with the Beast. Now I'm stroked, because I love this car and would be sick if I couldn't drive it half the year.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I believe the issue is tires. Summer tires and wide tires are not the best in the snow. Watch how rally cars use narrow tires in the snow. Several years back my boss had a Porsche 911 with wide summer tires. The car would not even move in the snow and that is with a heavy rear weight bias.

Paul

·
Registered
216 Posts
I drive the M5 year round in Minnesota. And it loves the snow. As everyone has already said, you need a dedicated set of winter tires, not just for snow, but for temperatures below 40 F. Summer tires are hard plastic in the cold. I like to get a set of winter wheels as well, so I can quickly switch between snow or summer tires myself.

RWD car with snow tires is better than an AWD with all season tires. AWD will help you get going to speed, but only a good set of tires will help you slow down and turn on ice and snow. Each time it snows here you see many cars on the side of the highway, but they are mostly American SUVs where people thought AWD makes their Tahoe bulletproof.

By the way M5 has done a wonderful job in the record snowfalls we have been getting in Minnesota. DSC is extremely good on these cars. Much gentler to act (maybe acts sooner - prevents rather than corrects a slide) than on my E46 M3. The sad thing is I probably get to use 50hp of the available 500hp in the snow. In December my neighborhood got 20in of snowfall in just one day (bad blizzard). I wanted to take some pictures of huge mountains of plowed snow and the M5 in the middle. It looked really cool, but I never got around to doing it.

Only issue with snow and any sedan or car is clearance if you try to drive over very deep snow. It has not been an issue with the M5 yet though.

I was debating on buying a dedicated snow/winter car to save the beast from the salt. But I bought the M5 to drive it and I would miss it too much if I had to garage it for 6 months. And it's pretty damn fun with snow tires too, really easy to slide with control.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I dont drive it in the snow because I just kept a lot of my cars. I still rock my old lexus ES (fwd) for the winter. No need to get the M salty and slushy if i dont need to. There def have been days where I cant resist and wake the beast up and head out. If you're rockin the M5 in the snow, as everyone said already - you gotta have a good set of snow tires. blizzaks have always proven amazing for people.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Im glad yo hear that the M5 did well! Yes, imperative is real snow tyres with "studded tyres". Even the factory fitted ones in Sweden withtu studs are worthless, not enough for northern European winters.

This winter I experienced 4WD with studs and a 330xi; I must say I was very impressed, 25% inclines no problem and also taking all those parkingspots with alot of snow on :D

Here the Audi RS6 have the real advance...

Funny - my M5 loves the snow! Drove home in a blizzard two weeks ago and the Beast was solid and sure-footed. Alpin Sports were a good investment and I'm totally confident - just have to drive smart and be extra vigilant, because danger lurks.
I drove a 535xi the past two winters, and I was a little worried about going DD with the Beast. Now I'm stroked, because I love this car and would be sick if I couldn't drive it half the year.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Studded are illagal in most US states :(.
They tear up our already crappy potholed roads (at least here in Minnesota).

But Blizzak LM-60s have been doing a great job on my M5.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have the winter set and with the Michelin Alpines it is okay if you don't have to negotiate any serious inclines or deep snow, but like someone else said you basically use only 50 of the 500 horsies, no fun on that...

for that reason I usually keep it in the garage if there is any snow on the ground

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
That is just so weird. Yes, the do some extra wear, as they could do in Germany where they are outlawed as well. But counting how many lives they can save I beleive it is worth having them.

Studded are illagal in most US states :(.
They tear up our already crappy potholed roads (at least here in Minnesota).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I disagree with the M5 not liking the snow. Currently in Helsinki area in Finland there is about 70cm (about 27.5 inches) of snow on the ground and more is coming all the time. I have not experienced much more trouble with my M5 than with any other car. The only real problem is the SMG transmission, which does not allow all the tricks that a manual transmission would. Because of that it is a bit more difficult to get the car moving if you get stuck in the snow. And you have to remember that the LSD actually helps a lot compared to regular rear-wheel driven cars.

If they made M5's with 4WD, it would be a perfect winter car :eek:h:

·
Registered
911 Posts
That is just so weird. Yes, the do some extra wear, as they could do in Germany where they are outlawed as well. But counting how many lives they can save I beleive it is worth having them.
Not weird at all, once the streets are plowed your riding on bare concrete and the contact patch is the sum of the studs touching it so your grip would be less. If you spin the wheels you will leave rather deep grooves into the concrete that wears it out prematurely

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not blaming the m5 for getting stuck. Did you guys not read the part where I said the beast seems to do fine with snow tires?

I understand that most cars will do ok with snow tires. But it literally snows maybe once every 4 years here. There's no practical way for me to do that. I probably couldve gotten home had there not been the accident blocking all lanes and I had more gas.

Something I noticed too was that smg will go crazy when the wheels are slipping. I got the yellow cogs up on the screen as I was slipping and it quickly went away when I later was able to pickup the car.

Gustav, yes I had to leave the car there for two days. Lucky I was able to go back on the night I got stranded and without other traffic on the road I managed to use a little creativity to get her the 20 feet Into the parking lot where I had to leave her for a few days.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
What kind of tires do you have on the M5 currently? I will avoid those!!! lol. BTW, last winter I helped bring back my buddy's Sepang beast from Chicago and we got hit with 2-3 inches of snow as we came through AZ on the way back to CA. The roads were getting plowed but there was a good amount on the ground. I was driving and since I felt if we stayed overnight, we'd be stuck there in AZ for an extra day so I decided to chance it and follow the plow. The M5 had a fresh set of PS2s and they did quite all right. I think the top speed I hit was 40-45mph and it wasn't sliding or anything. I did put it in P400 mode at that point and drove very conservatively. But the M5 did not once quiver. So I don't see how you could had such a bad time with barely some snow on the ground. Must be some very summer tires you have.

Here is a pic of the snow

·
Registered
162 Posts
IMO, the M5 is a great winter car. I have been daily driving my E55 AMG, and the thing SUCKS in the winter, even with snow tires. She just way to much tq for the snow. I just recently bought an M5, and I don't even have snow tires on yet, and I already can drive much better in the snow and ice.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Agree, having proper tires is critical. My m5 and x5 4.8is are fitted with snow tires. I did not believe in snow tires until last year; what a difference. As stated in the above thread, my amg c63 with snow tires were horrible in the snow.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
True, the concrete is omething I havent thought about, since we dont use thst on oir roads in Sweden.

Not weird at all, once the streets are plowed your riding on bare concrete and the contact patch is the sum of the studs touching it so your grip would be less. If you spin the wheels you will leave rather deep grooves into the concrete that wears it out prematurely

Sent from my phone

1 - 20 of 23 Posts