1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To set the scene.

I have dropped the kids at Dreamworld for the day. :hihi:

Then Proceeded to The Glades Golf club.

It was a great run in the Beast and we arrived an hour before our Tee time. :M5launch:

So the Golf Pro I was with Mr AB, was very impressed with the Beast.

We had our round. The Golf Pro was no longer impressed as I gave him a caining. (I won by 14 Strokes) :hihi:

So we get back to the Beast.

I jump in and its a little hot, so I go to Start the car quickly.

Jumped on the clutch, knocked it in neutral, fired the car up, I was still in one motion jumping in.

My wet shoe slipped off the clutch, and went BOING.

The car was running fine in Neutral. I Placed my foot back on the clutch, and if felt easily pushed to the floor.

It Stayed there. I am thinking WTF.

I turned the motor off. Put my foot under the clutch, and it sprung back up softly, but sat unusually higher than the brake pedal. I pushed it back in and It stayed on the Floor.

Oh Dear. This is not good. Its Sunday afternoon. I'm 50 miles from home, and Teenage Kids are at Dreamworld having a ball.

I call BMW Assist. Go back to the bar, and have a few to calm the nerves.

A BMW Tech arrives. Looks at the pedal. Pushes it to the floor, then lifts it out. Checks under the hood. Removes the Carbon filter. Has a look . Puts the filter back and says it will have to be towed. Most likely Master Cylinder.

Now I am thinking Here we go. They are all going to blame the Uber Clutch. But there is nothing wrong with the clutch. I was parked and my wet foot slipped of the pedal, like side stepping it, and it seems like the Pedal has disconected.

I am thinking at worst the connecting rod has popped out?

SO anyway, the Tow truck arrives. BMW Assist arrange a rental car. The Tow guy was good and careful. He dropped me and Mr AB at the rental place.

We picked up a Mitsubishi Magna. (Don't ask). And made it back to Dreamworld with some smiling children that got to spend the whole day at Dreamworld. (I was incontact with them the whole time on cell phone. They loved it.

So they Tow the vehicle to the nearest Stealer. Gold Coast, mine is at Brisbane, 60 miles away.

I ring the Stealer, this is the one that has the CSL I was looking at. They have the car, and assure me , they will take care of it, and someone will ring me.

On a side note, I had the Beast booked in on this very Monday at Brisbane BMW for its end of warrenty checkup. Yoda will be 2 at the end of the week.

So I have to cancel the End of warrenty check, after being told The Gold Coast guys could and ould do it.

I ring them 5 hours later, to see there progress, and I get a CLOWN, that tells me, they are exceptionally busy today. They have not even looked at my car. They are taking care of customers that had a booking first. WTF.

Now here is a little piece of information I could have used about 5 hours ago. He said I didn't ask. grrrrrrr

I said my car was already booked in at Brisbane BMW . For $100 bucks I could have forwarded it to them as I was already booked.

I said, I was considering purchasing my next BMW from these guys (Maybe the CSL) and now these Clowns tell me this.

The guy said, would I like to speak to the Service Manager, I said No. I just wanted someone to take a look at it to diagnose it.

So 15 minutes later the S.M calls to say he did not apprehiate me calling them clowns and they had arranged with Brisbane BMW to accept the car.

I had to authorise it. "AUTHORISED"

2 Minutes later, Brisbane BMW are on the phone. Authorised.

So Now the Beast will be Towed back to My Dealer.

When I said to the SM of the Gold Coast that I was considering buying my next vehicle there, he said, "That has nothing To do with US, That's sales."

Well O.K. I can accept that. I wonder if he can accept me driving my new BMW, back down there and Letting the entire sales staff know why , I didn't make the purchase from them? Maybe they could see it a little differently, Like Sales has EVERYTHING to do with AFTER SALES SERVICE.

Any guess on the Clutch?

MJ

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Great story. I wonder how their golf game is. hiha

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Chuckc said:
Mine is on fire, bring them on. :byee55amg

New putter, New Putter, New Putter. I'm the guy of the visa card add.

But I found one that works.

Ping JAS Anser W Ti. :1:

Its the Answer alright.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Oh man... sorry to hear but hope its an easy fix.

Yup doesnt matter if its sales or service... its a dealer as a WHOLE! Those CLOWNS!!!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
EBMCS03 said:
Oh man... sorry to hear but hope its an easy fix.

Yup doesnt matter if its sales or service... its a dealer as a WHOLE! Those CLOWNS!!!
The sales guys may make the relationship, but its the Service guys that Maintain and keep it.

It should be an easy fix. There are Zero symptoms from the clutch/flywheel/pressure plate.

The beast is in Neutral and the car starts and idles and stops fine.

Its a Pedal/master slave cylinder issue.

I'm just interested to see if they will cover it under warrenty, or whether they will try and say, its because of the Clutch?

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
MIB,

Sorry to hear of this. But try to look at it from the bright side. Focus on the really important stuff: First of all, you really beat the pro.

Secondly, You should be happy the pedal / clutch master cylinder broke when the car was in neutral and parked, and still under warranty. Think of the guy whose clutch master cylinder broke and the car jumped forward in the garage and missed the wall by a few inches.

It seems Australian dealers are pretty much like the Swedish dealers... Bettor to find out those people are ***holes now, than later when you have lined their pockets.

Finally, your car has a four stroke engine. But you played fourteen strokes ahead.

David

·
Registered
1,158 Posts

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DavidS said:
MIB,

Sorry to hear of this. But try to look at it from the bright side. Focus on the really important stuff: First of all, you really beat the pro.

Secondly, You should be happy the pedal / clutch master cylinder broke when the car was in neutral and parked, and still under warranty. Think of the guy whose clutch master cylinder broke and the car jumped forward in the garage and missed the wall by a few inches.

It seems Australian dealers are pretty much like the Swedish dealers... Bettor to find out those people are ***holes now, than later when you have lined their pockets.

Finally, your car has a four stroke engine. But you played fourteen strokes ahead.

David
Hey David,

My Dealer has the car now, I can relax. Two minutes after they got the car, they took a quick look, and said the Master cylinder is intact.

Closing time. They do not think its serious. Could Just be a Pedal problem.

I was thinking about the car being in Gear. I was in the Golf Car park. If the car had of been in gear, it would have launched through the hedges, across the path and into the building.

It pays to have good driving practises. I always start the car in neutral, no matter if the clutch is in or not. Now I know of a good reason why. :1:

The Pro was not happy at all. He actually said, "No one needs to know about this." :1:

The Tow truck driver was cool. He chatted and asked how our game was. The Pro hung his head.

After we spoke awile about it, I fessed up and said, Oh By the way, Allan is a Pro. :1:

Its funny, because now we know that Allan is Human. That is the first time there was eveidence that he is human on the Golf Course. He is usually Rock Solid.

So It was good to rib him. But we are good mates. He lets me know, if I do anything out of character. So its all good.

The Clubs are still in the trunk. I will have to go get them tomorrow, before I play.

MJ

·
Registered
448 Posts
I know the dealer you mean and I would never deal with them. I have to deal with one of their relatives who is a customer of mine and they are tough work....Brisbane BMW is pretty good so it'l be fine.

Are you coming on the Bowdens museum run on Sunday? 71 cars apparently including me! This museum is pretty good.

D

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
M5DAL said:
I know the dealer you mean and I would never deal with them. I have to deal with one of their relatives who is a customer of mine and they are tough work....Brisbane BMW is pretty good so it'l be fine.

Are you coming on the Bowdens museum run on Sunday? 71 cars apparently including me! This museum is pretty good.

D
Hey Dallas,

Golf Championships month. Round 2 on Saturday. I'm on the leader board after round 1., so Sundays are practise days, for the next three weeks. (and Tuesdays and Wednesdays and Thursdays)hiha

·
Registered
837 Posts
I had something very, very similair happen on my Z06 and it turned out to be the pressure plate, bent fingers or something, and initially they also thought it was the slave cylinder, so best of luck getting this all sorted out. As far as the the dealership, I dont blame you, this is a customer oriented business, and if they fall short, go else where, I have little patience for poor service or attitude if I am spending alot of money. Best of luck getting her repaired, keep us informed, Josh

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bmwusa said:
I had something very, very similair happen on my Z06 and it turned out to be the pressure plate, bent fingers or something, and initially they also thought it was the slave cylinder, so best of luck getting this all sorted out. As far as the the dealership, I dont blame you, this is a customer oriented business, and if they fall short, go else where, I have little patience for poor service or attitude if I am spending alot of money. Best of luck getting her repaired, keep us informed, Josh
Hey Josh,

The car is back at my dealer. The service guys are great. Real enthusiasts. They fitted a lot of the mods.

Its the Salesguys there you have to be on your toes with. hmmm

I thought Americans ran JP-4 ? Or has the EPA closed in. cherrsagai

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
MIB.
This has happened to me twice. Its the Master Cylinder. The "Eye hole" looking piece breaks. Its an easy fix and is covered under my CPO. They might give you a hard time if the clutch pedal is super stiff like mine. My guys here dont give me any problems. They said if it breaks again, BMW will have to come and inspect if it going to be covered. Something about things breaking 3 or more times. Anyway, i posted a while ago looking for a stronger piece. No responces though. The newer one they put in was white instead of black and looked a little thicker. Good luck.

josh.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
phillym5 said:
MIB.
This has happened to me twice. Its the Master Cylinder. The "Eye hole" looking piece breaks. Its an easy fix and is covered under my CPO. They might give you a hard time if the clutch pedal is super stiff like mine. My guys here dont give me any problems. They said if it breaks again, BMW will have to come and inspect if it going to be covered. Something about things breaking 3 or more times. Anyway, i posted a while ago looking for a stronger piece. No responces though. The newer one they put in was white instead of black and looked a little thicker. Good luck.

josh.
Thanks Josh,

That's good info. I am going in this morning. My Pedal is not stiff, due to the customised fingers. It is at best Firm.

The Stock pedal is quite floppy. Mine has just a little resistence.

I do have a thought on it. Perhaps because prior to Powerchip raising my idle, I used to hold the clutch in at the lights all the time.

I'm wondering.....maybe two years of holding it in at the lights weakened it, so when I stipped off the pedal, it was enough to send it over the edge.

Oh, well. Nw that Powerchip have cured the rollover noise, I no longer have to hold the clutch in anymore. I just slip it in neutral.

MJ

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
O.K. Just heard from my dealer.

Its a Pedal problen. The conecting rod has sheared in Half.

BMW said they would cover the cost of a new pedal ($60), but not the labour. ($150 AUD because of the modifications).

My Tech guys said, forget that, Have it welded so its super strong and will never happen again.

I trust them, so I said get it welded.

I'm on my way in, they said they would take pics.

MJ

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ok Mark...cut with the BS...and tell us what you shot ??? :15:

·
Registered
399 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Mark, glad to hear that they have diagnosed the problem and it sounds like a cheap and easy fix, as far as the JP goes I think we like it all, its just the Navy prefers the higher flashpoint of Jp-5 for shipboard use:M5thumbs: , Josh

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
GregC said:
Hey How are you GregC,

Long time no speak buddy.

I Shot 2 Under Par. He was a terrible 12 Over.

Just got back from the dealer. It was a cyclinder shaped piece of steel that snapped. It reduces in size, but it didn't break at the bade where it steps down in size, it broke half an inch along the thinner section.

It slides into a circular piece. They are going to weld the two together to make it one piece.

There is no need for it to be two pieces. You can remove the whole lot as one piece.

So they set both pieces down the road, and it will come back as one.

Its the top of the pedal arm, I guess.

Anyway , I will have the car back this afternoon.

I knew it wasn't Clutch related.

At a long stretch of the imagination, you can say that due to the extra effort requiried on the pedal to push the clutch in, it further stressed the metal.

But its clutching at straws.

What I mean is, there is Zero problems with the Clutch/Flywheel/Pressure plate.

This is a Pedal problem.

MJ

·
Registered
399 Posts
Good job on the golf.That's a spanky score...I've never shot under par ! You'll be out with Stuart soon!! I just returned from a trip this weekend in B.C. (neighbor province) fantastic time..we chartered this plane...not sure of model/type and no this is not me...

Best to you !!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts