BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

So, I finally got to getting the rod bearing job done.

The engine has done 75,000 kms with oil changes every 5,000 kms. I always drive below 3000 rpm until the car is fully warmed up. Most of the mileage is on the track.

I got the new OEM 702/703 bearings and got them WPC treated, and the ARP rod bolts.

The top and bottom shell are different and are marked with different colors.

For the job the engine had to be hanged up and the sub frame needed to be removed.

Oil pan off.

Oil pump

Oil lines and pump off.

Bottom end.

This is what came out.

As you can see the connecting rods are cast out of a single piece of metal and then precision broken. When the cap is attached, you cannot tell weather there is a separate cap on it. It is very important to make sure the caps are not interchanged between the rods. It is best to do it one bearing at a time.

New bearings in with ARP bolts.

Oil pan back on with magnetic drain plugs.

Aligning and setting the oil pump is very critical and needs to be done very carefully. It is best to follow the procedure in the TIS.

Needless to say, everything needs to be torqued to spec.

Below is the list of parts that I changed.

07 11 9 904 036 Hex Nut 1
4 11 41 7 837 576 Chain Tensioner 1
5 11 41 7 837 578 Chain Tensioner 1
6 11 41 7 835 445 Compression spring 1
7 11 41 7 835 444 Spring Pocket 1
8 11 12 1 304 174 O-ring 1
9 11 41 7 834 270 Gasket 1
10 07 11 9 963 129 Gasket ring 8
11 07 11 9 905 485 Hex bolt wit 23
12 07 12 9 905 488 Isa screw 2
13 07 12 9 905 600 Screw 2
15 12 61 1 744 292 Gasket Ring 1
16 11 41 7 836 233 Gasket 2
17 11 36 7 838 669 Pressure Hos 1
18 11 13 7 836 361 Gasket Steel 1

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,393 Posts
Woo Hoo! Congrats Hasan! Welcome to the Club!

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,393 Posts
Thanks Woody. So relieved to have finally done it. :cheers:
No doubt Hasan! Now, when you let your Beast breathe...you can breathe as well!

How are you enjoying your coilovers?

Congrats again my Friend!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
My dear friend Hasan,

It's good to be back on the board and see you and some of the other regulars! I'm so glad that you had this done and amazed that your engine is in such great shape, internally. This speaks to your disciplined warm-up procedure! Unfortunately, my whole engine had to be replaced in January but the positive thing is that it only cost me $54.95! I now have about 10K on the new engine and truly recognize the differences in the two engines. The old one was more peaky and sounded more, 'wild' (according to my friends). I miss the old engine in that way but like the new warranty and the better fuel economy of the older engine.

I hope all is well and it is truly good to be back on the board.

Best Regards,
Milton

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dearest Milton

Its absolutely heavenly to have you back. It was not the same without you. :cheers:

Many thanks for your kind words. You make an old man blush. :)

Glad you have a new engine. Enjoy in great health.

Best Regards
Hasan

My dear friend Hasan,

It's good to be back on the board and see you and some of the other regulars! I'm so glad that you had this done and amazed that your engine is in such great shape, internally. This speaks to your disciplined warm-up procedure! Unfortunately, my whole engine had to be replaced in January but the positive thing is that it only cost me $54.95! I now have about 10K on the new engine and truly recognize the differences in the two engines. The old one was more peaky and sounded more, 'wild' (according to my friends). I miss the old engine in that way but like the new warranty and the better fuel economy of the older engine.

I hope all is well and it is truly good to be back on the board.

Best Regards,
Milton

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes Sir. We disconnected everything and completely removed the sub-frame.

Excellent point about the washers. The parts list only includes the parts replaced on the engine itself. However, I had to reuse the old washers as new ones were not available. We are expecting delivery next week and will replace them soon.

Hasan. Did you disconnect the power steering hoses and completely remove the subframe? Does your parts list include the crush washers for doing this?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I finally saw kind of a DIY for the bearing job, thank you so much for that, Hasan.

I still don't know if I am confident enough to do it myself, so what you do is that you lower the front suspension with the subframe and then the oil pan and start working on the engine? Is it that simple? because I will be doing it all on my own if I will do it.

Thanks again,
Seif

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Seif

You will need room to work on the engine, so you will have to remove the sub-frame.

Good Luck
Hasan

I finally saw kind of a DIY for the bearing job, thank you so much for that, Hasan.

I still don't know if I am confident enough to do it myself, so what you do is that you lower the front suspension with the subframe and then the oil pan and start working on the engine? Is it that simple? because I will be doing it all on my own if I will do it.

Thanks again,
Seif

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Nice work Hasan, glad to see you finally getting this job completed and out of the way. Peace of mind achieved :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts