BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

If you have suffered from bearing failure; what year, model was the s85 in?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I am about to purchase a 06 M5 and I been browsing around this wonderful forum for about a month now. And I was wondering if the 2008 models suffered from premature bearing failure as well. I attempted to find a poll, but was not able to. I dont know if bmw changed anything that could have fixed this within the years or if I'm just shooting at the air. And if you never had bearing issues, would you be so kind as to post the year and mileage of your vehicle.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
This is a good idea if it hasn't been done already. Good job OP.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Yea....I'm just hoping we get a lot of ppl to take the poll and maybe we can see a correlation between years.

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,468 Posts
OP,

Great poll. Looks good, but I would add a category of:

"I changed them early and the old ones look bad." Every one of us that replaced rod bearings, had poor old bearings -- none looked good, myself included.

Also, you could consolidate m5 and m6 under a single s85 category for each of the years.

Thanks for putting the poll together.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
OP,

Great poll. Looks good, but I would add a category of:

"I changed them early and the old ones look bad." Every one of us that replaced rod bearings, had poor old bearings -- none looked good, myself included.

Also, you could consolidate m5 and m6 under a single s85 category for each of the years.

Thanks for putting the poll together.

I don't think you could edit polls. That is why I was just trying to get as many options I could think of in there. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I have an 08' and got a Blackstone reading which showed an insane amount of lead in the oil. Pretty happy to have avoided Hiroshima by getting them swapped.
Not making me feel very good. What was your mileage when you swapped?

Smeagol....you voted for M6 lol

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
Would be better to ask who has changed their bearings.....
There are more people who have changed theirs due to wear than those who have had an engine fail because of them.

Reactions: SCR996

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,468 Posts
Would be better to ask who has changed their bearings.....
There are more people who have changed theirs due to wear than those who have had an engine fail because of them.
Yup...none of us that have changed their bearings can answer the poll and part of the data pool.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Not making me feel very good. What was your mileage when you swapped?

Smeagol....you voted for M6 lol
Haha yeah I was in the middle of a meal when I clicked that.

I had about 74k miles at the time. In fact, my Blackstone report cautioned going over 6k rpms :eek:h:

I wouldn't worry too much though, my car is ridden tough. Forgot to ask the mechanic to send me pictures of the old ones but miraculously I had no crank damage.

edit: Agreeing with FIftytwoeighty, there should be another option for those of us who simply had excessive wear and not full blown failure.

T

·
0 Posts
I have sold 91 S85 V10 in the past year and I can tell you this:

Of the 91 Motors, 84 were direct replacements for failed M5/M6 motors & the others were swaps into other cars such as E30 M3, etc...

Here is the year breakdown from my list that I have. Without a doubt, the pre 11/05 engines were the worst as far as the "088/089 bearings that were junk & the vanos gear wheel was junk too".

*****The February 2007 build and on
engines are far superior. Some late 07 have them, otherwise 08+ obviously has them.

2006 pre-November 05 build: 47
2006:23
2007:11
2008: 2
2009: 1
2010: 0

Best,

Troy Jeup

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

T

·
0 Posts

Of the 91 Motors, 84 were direct replacements for failed M5/M6 motors & the others were swaps into other cars such as E30 M3, etc...

Here is the year breakdown from my list that I have. Without a doubt, the pre 11/05 engines were the worst as far as the "088/089 bearings that were junk & the vanos gear wheel was junk too".

engines are far superior. Some late 07 have them, otherwise 08+ obviously has them.

Best,

Troy Jeup

This is since March 1, 2013 by the way ~ when I started the business.

·
Registered
631 Posts

Best,

Troy Jeup

Very good info, thanks Troy. I think a lot of this correlates with mileage as well, but it definitely appears that 2006 is a year to avoid if you're worried about reliability. That or just build the cost of new bearings into the price of the car, which shouldn't be hard considering how cheap they're getting.

T

·
0 Posts
Here is one that baffles me..

2006 late production S85
54300-miles
Vanos pump self destructed. Only the second one I have ever seen like this but the other one had 95k miles.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1397791093.090668.jpg ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1397791104.142960.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1397791115.911052.jpg ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1397791124.874176.jpg

·
Registered
70 Posts

Best,

Troy Jeup

Hi Troy, that's very interesting.
I'm a relatively new member here looking to get an M5 soon and made my first post earlier this week.
T'he main question I asked in that post was; given a choice between an early car with say 50k miles or a late 07 car with say 70k miles what would be the preferred option. This is assuming both cars are clean and well maintained.
I alluded to the pre and post Feb 07 differences (although I couldn't recall which thread I got that from) the feedback seemed to favour lower mileage over other factors.
It would be great to hear your view on this as you are clearly familiar with s85's internals!
Many thanks

·
Registered
689 Posts
As I've mentioned earlier, you folks are blowing this bearings thing way out of proportion. Of course the earlier years are going to have the most wear....they are the oldest and likely have the most miles. Plus that is the year of car that the highest number of members on this board owns. Excessive wear on lower mileage cars can be directly attributed to lack of maintenance, not changing the oil often enough, not letting the car hit full operating temp before hammering the throttle, or just beating the crap out of it all the time. This poll is meaningless because the year of the car has nothing to do with anything. Abused cars "might" have this problem. Well cared for cars that are not constantly beat on will likely never have this problem, even cars with over 100k. One thing for sure....I'd stay the hell away from a used M5 with performance mods. Just my honest opinion.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts