BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all BC coilover owners, just thought I'd ask what settings your running and how you find that setup.
I'm still adjusting mine before I replace the rear seats etc. I can't seem to get the right balance for me yet, open to suggestions.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Leem, my car isn't with me to confirm but I think I'm around 2/3 at all four corners. I've got some negative camber dialed in on the front as well and this really helps with roundabouts. I have thought about going up one weight in spring, but I haven't yet even though I've got the springs.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Subscribed......

Thank you OP.....

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So 2/3, is that from starting at soft or hard?

Today, I adjusted mine to 20 clicks from starting at soft in the rear and 12 clicks again from soft in the front. I realise that this makes the rear stiffer than the front but at the moment I have terrible mechanical knocking noise coming from the front nearside that needs sorting (hence making it a little softer for the time being).

·
Registered
483 Posts
did you check your nut on top of the front strut? it may not be tightened all the way and would cause a knocking sound

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Bump. Where do you have your dampening settings? How many clicks from hard/soft?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Knocking noise fixed.

Settings are now from soft; 20 Rear and 22/23 front.

Still playing around though to get it right, at these it seems to be a good comprise between handle and comfort, more the the handling at the moment for everyday use you may want slightly softer?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I started out at full soft and just kept on increasing. I'd increase by about five cocks a time or so, within about three weeks I'd forgotten to play with the knobs so I guessed it must be about right! Having the remote rear adjusters is a bonus, makes it much easier to fiddle.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I am not sure how the remote rear controls work. How in the world do you even install it with the rear speakers sitting right on top of the knobs? I had to remove the rear speakers to even see the rear damper setting adjustment knob. Anyway, I have my rears currently set to 12 clicks from full soft and the fronts 5 clicks from full soft. I don't know how you can drive that car with the damper settings set that high. I mean wow, you must have one stiff ride. Also bear in my mind that I have the spring pre-load at the 5mm manufacturer recommended setting. This will do for now:cool:.

Vic

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
I am not sure how the remote rear controls work. How in the world do you even install it with the rear speakers sitting right on top of the knobs? I had to remove the rear speakers to even see the rear damper setting adjustment knob. Anyway, I have my rears currently set to 12 clicks from full soft and the fronts 5 clicks from full soft. I don't know how you can drive that car with the damper settings set that high. I mean wow, you must have one stiff ride. Also bear in my mind that I have the spring pre-load at the 5mm manufacturer recommended setting. This will do for now:cool:.

Vic
I will post some pictures later on how I ran mine. I have the rear coilovers on, but haven't done the fronts yet. What springs do you have Vic? 6k/5k pr 8k/6k?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I will post some pictures later on how I ran mine. I have the rear coilovers on, but haven't done the fronts yet. What springs do you have Vic? 6k/5k pr 8k/6k?

Someone has been busy - can't wait to see!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Preciate that Timmay. I have the 8k/6k spring rate...ah, okay that would explain why one would have the damper setting as high as 20 clicks from full soft. I would imagine the car would ride as hard as a board with my spring rate and that damper setting..

Vic

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Here you can see the extension comes up on the edge of the speaker. I was originally going to bring it up through the speaker grill, but it just didn't line up. Oh well, I will get a new grill from a parts car sometime. I drilled a hole in the deck behind the seat belt cover....

·
Registered
593 Posts
Thanks for the pictures Timmay! You da man. Did you get the long extensions or the short ones? I need to order those bad boys because it is such a pain taking apart the rear deck to make damper adjustments. Now the next time I pull the rear seats will be the last..I hope.

Vic

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the photos.

Knocking noise was found to be the top nut as suggested.

So settings, anyone else have some input on what they are running?

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Thanks for the pictures Timmay! You da man. Did you get the long extensions or the short ones? I need to order those bad boys because it is such a pain taking apart the rear deck to make damper adjustments. Now the next time I pull the rear seats will be the last..I hope.

Vic
I ordered the longest ones they had and trimmed them down. It is just a thick strand of steel wire with a plastic mesh shield. Easy to cut and make any length you want.....

Reactions: Beasty5

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I just finished the install of my BC coilovers this past Sunday. I spent a lot of time installing the remote adjusters. I had a similar idea as timmay but trimmed the cables so that the knobs are situated just below the spreaker grills in the same corner of the grill as timmay. There is just enough room for the knob to sit below the grill. To make removing the speaker grills a little easier and prevent breaking the hold-down tabs, I trimmed the opening for the front tabs just a little. Unfortunately, the cables have to bend around the speaker enclosure which causes some binding but you can still feel the "click" of each adjustment. Overall, I'm really happy with how the install turned out.

In terms of strut/shock settings, I'm currently running 16 clicks from soft on both front and rear. They came from the factory set at 8 from full hard. That was definitely too firm.

What ride heights are you guys choosing? I'm finding that getting the heights at each corner where I want it, to be a lot of work as making an adjustment at one corner affects the opposite corner. Definitely an iterative process. I thinking about getting a corner weight balance but I'm not sure it will be worth the money since I only do 1-2 track days each year.

I know that the standard for height measurement is from center of the wheel to the top of the wheel well but I couldn't come up with an easy way to consistently determine this measurement so I decided to always measure from the floor. Anyways to make measuring ride height consistent, I made a "jig" to hold a yard stick vertically but square to my floor and centered across the wheel so that all of my measurements are made in the same position. I set my tire pressure to 37 psi at all corners. Using this method, my before ride height was

RF:25-7/16"
RR:25-5/16"
LR:25-13/16"
LF:25-5/16"

After a bit of tweaking, my ride height is currently

RF:25-1/4"
RR:24-13/16"
LR:25-1/16"
LF:24-7/8"

By the way, I previously had H&R front lowering springs installed and stock rear springs. I did visually notice the significant difference in the "before" heights in the rear and was trying to even this out a bit.

Has anyone noticed that after installing the BC coilovers that the steering doesn't return to center as it did previously? I now have to help it return to center. I noticed that the top spring perch doesn't turn. I thought it would with the "pillow block" bearing set-up. I bought my set up from Tristan at Circuit Motorsports and sent him an email about it. I'm wondering if the round inserts that seat into the top and bottom of camber plates need to be greased. In my case, my coilovers did not come with the camber plates because of some mix up at the factory in Taiwan. They sent me the camber plates separately and I had to install them myself. They did not come with any grease. No instructions about greasing them so I just replaced the rubber mounts with the camber plates and pre-loaded them with 3mm of compression per Tristan's instructions.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts