BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I hope new hats won't be necessary for me. I cleaned and used synthetic grease on the mounts and mating surfaces before I installed. Not too much, just a thin layer. I did this in hopes to prevent noise, which there is none at the moment.

These BCs are some really comfortable coilovers though. I'm impressed with the way it handles the street with these spring rates. I'm set at 4 clicks from full soft on the front, and full soft on the rear for all my street driving. 8K/6K springs. It's about time to re-install my rear deck now.
FYI...I have been working with bc to have the new hats covered/replaced under warrenty.

The fronts just got crazy noisy...especially the passenger side. I should hear back in the next day or so from bcracing r&d.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
If that's the case, I want my $80 back. That's BS.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
If that's the case, I want my $80 back. That's BS.
If it works out ill give you the contacts i have...they have basically stated the fix, assuming proper installation, is the hats... I had to write it up and take multiple pictures of the install to send to them too.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Is there a problem with all of the hats or only on a number of them?
Mine go on maybe next week or the week after.. if there's a prob I'd like to get the new hats before they go on..

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Is there a problem with all of the hats or only on a number of them?
Mine go on maybe next week or the week after.. if there's a prob I'd like to get the new hats before they go on..
It's just the design. I didn't care for the noises. I don't think structurally there are any issues. I just prefer the bearings for quite operation.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Here is the response I just got from BCRacing Tech support today. . . .

"Michael,

Please excuse the delay in response, my R&D team has been swamped.

It seems that we have a fix for the noise issue. It is a new bearing which is a replacement for the gold top disk that the top of the spring fits into.

The new bearing replaces the one you have and allows the spring to rotate more freely and will cure the noises you are hearing.

If you can send me your confirmed address I can get the bearings shipped out to you ASAP.

Regards,"

so. . . guess I am getting something in the mail. . . .

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I called BC racing and they said anyone with the new bearings won't have the problem.
The issue was just noise and doesn't affect anything. When you turn the wheels the springs weren't free to turn and the noise was the spring popping back into place.
Anyone that has the KOYO bearings shouldn't have a problem i.e. anyone that has ordered recently is safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rear Camber Question

Hi guys,

I must say I am a big fan of the M5 and I'll get one someday, but for now I have my 525i, which I would like to lower.
After reading this post I'm very certain I'll be purchasing a set of BC Racing BR series. I just have some questions

1. Is the rear camber adjustable?
2. How how are you finding the ride quality? using 10 clicks from soft?
3. Did you have to purchase any other parts to install them? or was it just a straight swap?

P.S. Great write up :)

Regards
Simon

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
1. No, certainly not with the top mounts supplied.
2. I'm running virtually the same setup regarding number of clicks. Its like a nice taught OEm ride erring on the side of firmness, although not crashy, and we have some terrible roads here in the UK
3. Straight swap

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the quick response.
Does BC offer a adjustable top mounts for the rears? or can I purchase them off the shelf from another supplier?
Ok cool, yeah the roads in Melbourne aren't great either...it must be something to do with the commonwealth government haha
If you run under 10 clicks would the shocks still work fine?
My car is a daily driver with no intention on racing around the streets.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I couldn't answer you on adjustable rear mounts although i'll err on the side of "no". Can you adjust rear camber any other way on the E39 i.e adjustable rear arms??

I know that even if you could di it regarding adjustable upper mounts it would be a PITA to adjust as you'd have to dismantle the rear shelf to do so. This is why i got the extenders with my BC's to make easy adjustments on the fly (not that i really ever have once i got the ride i was after). Therefore, if you can purchase adj rear arms that can be done from under the car, i'd use this route as then any minor tweeks done on the 4wa would mean you don't have to have half the interior ripped apart

IMO the shocks will work fine on full soft. There have been a few who chime in with regards to shocks bottoming out, but this seems to stem from adjusting the ride height incorrectly by using the top 2 collars to alter the ride height by compressing or relaxing the spring which is the incorrect way on these. Compress the spring to lower the car and all you are soing is shortening ultimate shock travel.

Use the bottom lock nut and adjust the whole barrel of the shock in the sleeve and personally i don't think you'll have issues

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah after I asked the question I did a quick search on BC's website, I came up with nothing.
Oh yeah I like the sound of the adjustable lower control arm, I will look into it more. Do you know of any brands?

I can understand that pulling apart the interior would be a pain to adjust the setting yet I don't want friends playing with the settings...
I'll find the sweet spot for my driving style and keep it there.

Thanks for the tip on how to lower car :)

I think I'll bite the bullet on my next pay check and order them haha

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
So how is everyone liking the BC coil overs after driving on them for a while? Would you do the same setup if you were to redo today? I heard some "good performance for the money" comments. Help me read between the lines here.

Are they good for a true daily driver? Mine is literally an everyday driver and I like the stock feel, but would like slightly better handling, but not at the expense of much (if any) comfort. When I got my M5 in January 2012, I said, "Wow, you really feel every bump in the road." Then I drove a 2008 Porsche 911 and the ride was WAY too harsh for me to be a daily driver (I'm assuming it had a stock suspension). When I got back in my M5, it felt like a squishy Lexus. Again, I do like the stock feel and want my car to be comfortable.

Edit: Oh, and please specify I you are referring to the 8k/6k or 6k/5k. Thanks!

·
Registered
913 Posts
So how is everyone liking the BC coil overs after driving on them for a while? Would you do the same setup if you were to redo today? I heard some "good performance for the money" comments. Help me read between the lines here.

Are they good for a true daily driver? Mine is literally an everyday driver and I like the stock feel, but would like slightly better handling, but not at the expense of much (if any) comfort. When I got my M5 in January 2012, I said, "Wow, you really feel every bump in the road." Then I drove a 2008 Porsche 911 and the ride was WAY too harsh for me to be a daily driver (I'm assuming it had a stock suspension). When I got back in my M5, it felt like a squishy Lexus. Again, I do like the stock feel and want my car to be comfortable.

I have the 8k/6k. They have been on a little over a year. The only problem I had was with the top bearing which I finally got replaced within warranty. Now it rides like a dream and no more noise when turning or the collar screw working its way loose.

To answer your questions. I used them for daily driving for a whole year. Not a problem other than the bearing issue that's now resolved. If I had to do it again, would I choose these? Maybe. I'd probably consider getting stock shocks with performance springs if I had to do it over. I feel some of the dampening isn't quite as good as stock sometimes. But I'm used to these now. I found a sweet spot that I like where I'm 19 from soft in the front and 15 from soft in the rear.

I have yet to try it full hard.

BC posted some helpful videos on Vimeo if anyone hasn't seen them already...

One video on how to adjust preload:
BC Racing Coilover Spring Change and Preload Adjustment on Vimeo

And another on how to adjust camber:
BC Racing Coilovers Camber Adjustment on Vimeo

·
Registered
19 Posts

If you're looking for a soft ride I would go with the 6k/5k, that would be a more "comfort" setup. It should be fairly soft for DD use for most people.

Hit me up and I can help you out on a kit - [email protected]

-Tristan
CMS

·
Registered
66 Posts
After having these sitting around since 2011, I'm finally getting around to installing them. That has to be a record! I'm doing all the suspension parts at once.

This was my question: On the front struts, the sleeve below the bottom pallet nut does not go past the very bottom of the "swivel bearing" where the pinch bolt is. It stops a millimeter or so above the bottom of the swivel bearing. Is this correct, or do I have to pry open the pinch bolted area of the swivel bearing to let it come past the step in the swivel bearing at the bottom of the strut tube opening?

I found the answer:
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2102676-BC-Racing-Coilovers-got-them-and-install-Q&p=27621546#post27621546

Just in case the image from bimmerforums gets lost, I uploaded it here: http://www.m5board.com/photopost/data/528/BC-front-coilover-installed.jpg

This shows what I was looking for - how far into the "swivel bearing" does the BC coilover go? It stops at the internal lip inside the swivel bearing. The ridge a 20mm or so above the swivel bearing, as pictured is a "safety lip" and does not rest on the swivel bearing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I couldn't answer you on adjustable rear mounts although i'll err on the side of "no". Can you adjust rear camber any other way on the E39 i.e adjustable rear arms??

I know that even if you could di it regarding adjustable upper mounts it would be a PITA to adjust as you'd have to dismantle the rear shelf to do so. This is why i got the extenders with my BC's to make easy adjustments on the fly (not that i really ever have once i got the ride i was after). Therefore, if you can purchase adj rear arms that can be done from under the car, i'd use this route as then any minor tweeks done on the 4wa would mean you don't have to have half the interior ripped apart

IMO the shocks will work fine on full soft. There have been a few who chime in with regards to shocks bottoming out, but this seems to stem from adjusting the ride height incorrectly by using the top 2 collars to alter the ride height by compressing or relaxing the spring which is the incorrect way on these. Compress the spring to lower the car and all you are soing is shortening ultimate shock travel.

Use the bottom lock nut and adjust the whole barrel of the shock in the sleeve and personally i don't think you'll have issues
This is not necessary a true statement. The correct way to adjust height is to compress the spring (introduce preload). Yes, this will shorten the shock travel. Adjusting the lower collar can be done, but should be done with care, as you would be adjusting non-sprung aspect of suspension.

Coilovers & What You've Gotten Wrong

101 - 120 of 133 Posts
About this Discussion
132 Replies
40 Participants
ruprectgern
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing