BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
I much prefer the 8/6k rates. Having driven both, I could never get the shocks at a setting I felt worked well with the softer springs. It always felt as if it was under damped but actually the spring was simply too soft. I would definitely recommend people use the stiffer spring rates for the heavy m5.
Are the stiffer springs OK on our roads, or they make the ride a little harsh?

Where did you purchase them from?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Leem I prefer the stiffer springs on our roads, to me the ride is much better in fact. With the softer springs I could never get the damping right, it felt like it needed to be turned up harder and harder and then it just felt wrong and really crashy. But if I turned it down it simply felt like it was boingy and uncontrolled. The stiffer spring rates are much better. I think I got my springs from the same guys in Leeds who supplied the shocks.. Can't think of there names off the top of my head, must be the Alzheimer's..

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm in MD, usually some place from Columbia and Frederick. I'm looking into the BC coilovers and I was wondering if your not too far I could meet and get a ride to check them out. I have a 2000 M5.

pete...was this in reference to me? i'm in howard county usually. somewhere around ellicott city/columbia/baltimore.

·
Registered
66 Posts
pete...was this in reference to me? i'm in howard county usually. somewhere around ellicott city/columbia/baltimore.
Yes, it was. I think I've settled on the stiffer springs. We should get together at some point - I sometimes get down to the Burtonsville cruise-in on Sunday mornings - in my V8 powered 240Z. But if you see a Silver M5 with D-Force mesh wheels running around the area, it's probably me. :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yes, it was. I think I've settled on the stiffer springs. We should get together at some point - I sometimes get down to the Burtonsville cruise-in on Sunday mornings - in my V8 powered 240Z. But if you see a Silver M5 with D-Force mesh wheels running around the area, it's probably me. :)

cool, whats the Burtonsville cruise-in on Sunday mornings?

·
Registered
66 Posts
cool, whats the Burtonsville cruise-in on Sunday mornings?
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/usa-northeast-forum/139716-burtonsville-md-6-28-09-8am.html

Everything from old school roadsters, rat rods, kit cars, pristine old cars, old, not-so-old (80s) and new muscle cars, old sports cars, custom bikes... I've seen Lotus's (Loti ? LoL), Lambos, Ferarris, Panteras, Drag cars trailered in, all kinds of stuff there. My Z is off the road for a bit, so if I show up I'll be in the M5 but I spend a lot of weekends out of the area (i.e., in Frederick) so I don't get down to Burtonsville for this event often.

Back on topic, I'm about to order the BC Racing BR setup with the 8k/6k springs - do they struts in the standard valving handle the higher rate springs well throughout the full adjustment of the struts, or do they need to be revalved slightly?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I'm on the fence with the BCs as well. I'd like to feel how they are on the M5. What's your best free day?

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I'm on the fence with the BCs as well. I'd like to feel how they are on the M5. What's your best free day?
Just come to Timmayfest this weekend and take my car for a spin brother....... There will be 40 other M5's there if you want to see some more. LOL......

Seriously though, for the money, you can't go wrong. I am VERY satisfied with my purchase.......

·
Registered
913 Posts
Just come to Timmayfest this weekend and take my car for a spin brother....... There will be 40 other M5's there if you want to see some more. LOL......

Seriously though, for the money, you can't go wrong. I am VERY satisfied with my purchase.......

If I could make it I would but I have suspension on another car to replace this coming weekend. Then the beast is next in line.

·
Registered
570 Posts
While I'm waiting on new wheels and tires, I'm seriously considering these. Hmmm....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry I missed this question earlier - I got engaged 5 June, and worked like crazy to be married, with all the regular pomp and circumstance by 30 July. So I've been a bit swamped.

I haven't installed them yet, but I need to do that soon and I will try to remember to look you up when they are on.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Sorry I missed this question earlier - I got engaged 5 June, and worked like crazy to be married, with all the regular pomp and circumstance by 30 July. So I've been a bit swamped.

I haven't installed them yet, but I need to do that soon and I will try to remember to look you up when they are on.

Not to worry. I finally ordered and installed mine two weeks ago. I'm still rounding out my opinion of them. So far so good. The only problem I had was the 17mm strut top nut did come loose while I was driving. Not a good feeling as I thought my suspension was hosed. If I get around to it I will re-torque it with some Loctite.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Not to worry. I finally ordered and installed mine two weeks ago. I'm still rounding out my opinion of them. So far so good. The only problem I had was the 17mm strut top nut did come loose while I was driving. Not a good feeling as I thought my suspension was hosed. If I get around to it I will re-torque it with some Loctite.
I had the same issue - I think Tim did too. . .sounded like the strut fell off. . . .

Tightened it down a few months back and have not had an issue since. . .

I will say that I am now noticing creaks and clinks where I did not before. . .maybe time for the improved hats to be installed?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I had the same issue - I think Tim did too. . .sounded like the strut fell off. . . .

Tightened it down a few months back and have not had an issue since. . .

I will say that I am now noticing creaks and clinks where I did not before. . .maybe time for the improved hats to be installed?
I hope new hats won't be necessary for me. I cleaned and used synthetic grease on the mounts and mating surfaces before I installed. Not too much, just a thin layer. I did this in hopes to prevent noise, which there is none at the moment.

These BCs are some really comfortable coilovers though. I'm impressed with the way it handles the street with these spring rates. I'm set at 4 clicks from full soft on the front, and full soft on the rear for all my street driving. 8K/6K springs. It's about time to re-install my rear deck now.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got mine done with the racing spring rate. I've been driving on it for about 3 or so months now and this is one heck of a suspension. I'm still getting some work done on the car but will post some pix later on.

81 - 100 of 133 Posts
About this Discussion
132 Replies
40 Participants
ruprectgern
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing