BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So we have many threads of people who "just" installed their BC coilovers. However, the burning question is how they hold up to time and performance-oriented use with the E39 M5. Longevity and good (not best) performance will be a deciding factor for many of us. We already like the price, adjustability, and looks. But if they don't hold up to the hype, then we're saving our pennies for something else.

If you've had your BC coilovers installed for some time and have had time to put them through their paces as far as performance handling, how did they perform? How are they holding up?

We're not talking about track use here (although, if you've taken them to the track, don't hold your tongue). How do they iron out imperfections on the road to make for more comfortable and less unsettling handling? Have you had the chance to compare them to the other coilover kits?

Proceed!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Good topic.

Although i have installed mine recently, i'd like owners to report any adjustment issues they have - or hopefully do not have - regarding the threads on the shock body.

A lot of cheaper coilovers suffer from oxidizing/seizing on the collars or threads and this prevents height adjustment after as little as one year or a tough winter.

We do have this type of climate here in the UK and i suppose in a lot of states over in the US too, so thats another spin i wouldn't mind seeing on the thread also should Diny be OK with it.

If issues have arisen what was the remedy if there was one, or how do others look after the threads on the shock to prevent it?

I have used a copper based spray on them for now, we'll see how they hold up!

·
Registered
68 Posts
i had them on my 2001 540i-6 for about a year..

i loved them, and i drove the car everyday and drove it on many trips to virginia beach, boston, pittsburgh, and miami (i'm in va) with pretty hard spring rates (forget what they were, i'll find them and post them) and even my girfriend felt comfortable which is great cause i didnt have to hear her b*tching for 900 miles ;)

i also was slammed, these go hella low and are made very well. if i buy suspension for my m5 they will be bc's.

·
Registered
735 Posts
after about 25k miles, i still have nothing but good things to say about them. and...my car is LOW. still passes the GF test, the drunken-friends-trying-to-sleep test, and they handle well enough to take on every twisty on-ramp i throw at them. combined with my new tires, i wouldn't hesitate to head to the canyons this weekend if it weren't for this damned weather...

·
Registered
832 Posts
Subscribed.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Come on, people! Report in!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am on the fence with these as well. My suspicion is that not too many sets have been installed yet ? Subscribed.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Pagimo said:
I am on the fence with these as well. My suspicion is that not too many sets have been installed yet ? Subscribed.
I know of at least 4-5 board members who run these. Probably too soon for them to give "long term" feedback. Perhaps member phan will chime in. Sometimes, the lack of negative feedback is a good thing ;)

·
Registered
483 Posts
i've only had them on the car for about a month?

just took the car on a long trip...~250miles.

feels good to me on the road for a long distance. holding up just fine. i may soften the shocks up a bit more but too lazy to take apart the rear deck.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Subscribed as well. Anxious to see longer term results although I'm pretty much sold on them. I've already explained to the wife that the suspension is due for a "refresh" and can't be avoided with as much driving as I do. :deal: Now it's just down to BC's or Bilstein PSS...BC's are currently in front thanks to the included camber plates.

Tim

·
Registered
735 Posts
I know of at least 4-5 board members who run these. Probably too soon for them to give "long term" feedback. Perhaps member phan will chime in. Sometimes, the lack of negative feedback is a good thing ;)
after about 25k miles, i still have nothing but good things to say about them. and...my car is LOW. still passes the GF test, the drunken-friends-trying-to-sleep test, and they handle well enough to take on every twisty on-ramp i throw at them. combined with my new tires, i wouldn't hesitate to head to the canyons this weekend if it weren't for this damned weather...
^----- ;)

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Subscribed as well. Anxious to see longer term results although I'm pretty much sold on them. I've already explained to the wife that the suspension is due for a "refresh" and can't be avoided with as much driving as I do. :deal: Now it's just down to BC's or Bilstein PSS...BC's are currently in front thanks to the included camber plates.

Tim

BC, Bilstein PSS and ST for me.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Diny said:

Tim

BC, Bilstein PSS and ST for me.
IIRC, I believe a member (I think it was J Irwin) who mentioned concerns about the finish on the ST, and fear of corrosion and exposure to the elements.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

IIRC, I believe a member (I think it was J Irwin) who mentioned concerns about the finish on the ST, and fear of corrosion and exposure to the elements.

I saw that and responded with a blurb from Tirerack, mentioning that they are galvanized to prevent rust.

"ST Coil-Overs allow you to properly lower your vehicle while offering an improved ride, handling and performance.
Modeled after the KW Variant 1 Coil-Overs (ST Suspensions’ parent company product), ST Coil-Overs are constructed of high-grade steel, heavily galvanized for exceptional rust protection. They feature preset damper settings and are individually height adjustable.
The ST Coil-Overs are designed and manufactured alongside KW's products in Germany and are backed by a five-year limited warranty. Properly engineered with quality construction you can count on. ST Coil-Overs offers a great value."

·
Registered
4,597 Posts

Diny said:

I saw that and responded with a blurb from Tirerack, mentioning that they are galvanized to prevent rust.
Ah good to know.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts

Diny said:

Ah good to know.

·
Registered
218 Posts

"ST Coil-Overs allow you to properly lower your vehicle while offering an improved ride, handling and performance.
Modeled after the KW Variant 1 Coil-Overs (ST Suspensions’ parent company product), ST Coil-Overs are constructed of high-grade steel, heavily galvanized for exceptional rust protection. They feature preset damper settings and are individually height adjustable.
The ST Coil-Overs are designed and manufactured alongside KW's products in Germany and are backed by a five-year limited warranty. Properly engineered with quality construction you can count on. ST Coil-Overs offers a great value."

I'm strongly considering the ST Coilovers as well. If some are worried about the effects of rust, you can get tekwax and spray it on. (Turner Motorsport | Winzer Tekwax Rust Proofing Spray)

For me either BC, KWV1 or the ST's.

·
Registered
2002 M5
66 Posts
No data here, as I am shopping coilovers now, but I have a feeling that in the future I'll be adding my data here.

I'd like to see some more answering the OP's questions, and I'd like to add that I'm wanting to hear about any NVH issues. The camber plates are said to be a "pillowball" design and I'm not clear if that is some kind of damped (i.e., urethane or rubber cushioned) or solid metal.

Also, are rear camber plates available from BC for this setup?

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Installed 3k miles ago. Spring rates are 8k/6k. Dampening set on 5 from soft all the way around. Car is set pretty low. From the ground to the top of the fender well I read 25 1/4" front and 25" rear.

Trip to Atlanta, GA from Columbus, Ohio and general driving around town and a little in the country. Also some rather spirited driving by herrubermensch in Atlanta while I was riding shotgun. (hanging onto the OHSHIT handle the whole time)

Car feels solid. Ride is fairly stiff due to the higher spring rates. I do have a "BANG" in the passenger rear over really large bumps at higher speeds. Car sits low, so I am not sure if I am bottoming out or if something else is wrong. I checked all of my top nuts to be sure they are tight.

I do have a popping noise from the front struts when turning at low speeds.

Car has settled about 1/8" since setting my ride height.

I am still happy with my purchase, for the price. They do what I want. I will continue to update when I feel I have appropriate information to share.

Reference threads:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...172065-bc-racing-coilover-install-review.html

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/186789-hey-bc-racing-coilover-owners.html

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
28 laps of the nurburgring turning low 9 min laps toward the end, riding curbs everywhere; 8/6k springs and set to one click off full hard on the front - slightly softer in the rear, two degrees of camber all around. Very impressed with the ride and handling at the ring as were most of my friends. Over 10k miles in total on these coilovers.

1 - 20 of 218 Posts