BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling all BC Racing coilover owners! I've installed mine yesterday and have been adjusting them since.. First time dealing with coilovers so bear with me. The problem is that every time i try to adjust the height, the spring gets loose :mad:. When the spring gets loose i have to preload it. And in order to preload it you have to redo perches A and B and for me they go up they go up higher on the strut, which increases the height of my car.. To lower my car I undo perch C and then use tool to turn perch A which turns the entire strut and lowers the car. After a couples spins the spring become loose again, and I dont get anywhere.. So when i lower the car the spring becomes loose and when i tighten the spring perches go up the car rises again.. Do i just leave the spring loose and not worry about it and keep lowering the car? Eventually when it goes back on the ground it will compress. Help would be really appreciated. I hope i made it very clear, and not confuse anyone.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
As said, you don't need to adjust a or b when lowering/raising the car, but as you've messed with it here's how you set it up.

With the car in the air undo a and b collars until the spring is loose.

Run collar A up to touch the spring so the spring is just about clamped and you cant rattle it about with your hand.

Run collar B up to touch collar A

Tighten collar A further until you can get a 5mm allen key or even the width of your adusting spanner in between collars A and B. This is the 3-5mm preload of the spring.

Now run Collar B up to collar A and tighten them together nice and tight

Now once those are set and nice and tight, you adjust the ride height using collar C.

If you run collar C up towards the strut top, you can then turn the whole shock body down into the collar to lower the ride height.

As a final note, its easy to use collar A as the grip point for your c spanner to adjust the whole body down into the collar. If collars A and B are nice and tight, you will screw the whole body as you intend to. If they are not sufficiently tight then you may start to undo those collars and loosen the spring which is what you may be experiencing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Make sure you have bearings installed on top of the springs. I bought my car used with these coilovers an there were no bearings installed, just a metal spring cup. After a period of time collars a/b would work loose from the spring twisting. If I waited long enough things would get loose enough the spring would clunk/pop on low speed turns.

I called BC and bought bearings, problem solved. I paint marked my collars as a quick visual check through the wheel and everything has stayed where it should. I've adjusted ride height since then and collars a/b didn't move.

You can try searching koyo bearings, there was a thread about that on here a while back.

Edit - Here's the thread: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=193394

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
339 Posts
Don't loosen collar B at all, that's how the spring preload gets messed up since that will cause collar A to move.. just loosen the very bottom one and put the wrench on collar A and adjust the desired way and B should stay nice and tight. To adjust height on these coils the whole shock body twists up/down. I have these, they are really easy to adjust. If they are tough to turn spray some WD40 in/around the threads to help break things loose. It's pretty common for them to get tight especially after being driven on for awhile.

·
Registered
379 Posts
loosen part c then use your bare hands to grab the threaded part of the body to spin the entire shock. You don't need a tool to spin the entire unit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts