BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of the BBS RS -GT's, but since I have the H & R springs and spacers, I was wondering if "tire rub" would be a factor. Does anyone have this set wheel/spring/spacer set -up? What size wheels front and back 20 x 10 rear, and 20 x 8.5 front, or would you use 20 x 10, back and 19 x 8.5 front? Also, there was a post concerning "tire rub" with the H & R set up using the PS Series, has anyone switched to the Bridgestone Potenza's. Comments are appreciated.:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
1000 Oaks said:
I was thinking of the BBS RS -GT's, but since I have the H & R springs and spacers, I was wondering if "tire rub" would be a factor. Does anyone have this set wheel/spring/spacer set -up? What size wheels front and back 20 x 10 rear, and 20 x 8.5 front, or would you use 20 x 10, back and 19 x 8.5 front? Also, there was a post concerning "tire rub" with the H & R set up using the PS Series, has anyone switched to the Bridgestone Potenza's. Comments are appreciated.:M5thumbs:
There is a very slight rub in the rear with a fully loaded car (4 people) on the softest EDC setting with 20x10 BBS RS-GT's and PS2's, and 10mm spacers. I loaded up the rear wheel, and I think it's coming from a tab where the rear bumper meets the rear quarter panel just above the wheelwell. There doesn't seem to be any rubbing inside the wheelwell, or against the fenders themselves. Hopefully it will be a simple matter to modify the inside enough to avoid any rubbing. I'll find out in the next day or so and post the results.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Wolverine said:
I'll find out in the next day or so and post the results.
My very favorite wheels. I read your previous post too (please note that I very graciously said nothing about suggesting the use of calamine lotion as a solution for "rubbing in the rear" and what I assume would've entailed somewhat signifcant, subsequent itching, lol). Looking forward to your findings.

:1:

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Good news! $100 and the problem is solved!

We have an excellent body shop down the street from where I work, and I took the car in to see what they could do. The conclusion was that there was a very slight rub at the point where the bumper skirt meets the rear quarter panel at the wheelwell. There is a bracket that clamps the rear panel to the bumper, and they removed some material from that, rolled the lip a very small amount, and took 1/8" off the head of a screw. Net result was an increase in clearance of 10mm. They also applied underbody coating, since the material removal exposed some raw metal.

All-in-all it was a 2 hour 'drop off' job, and cost $100. I would highly recommend this minor mod if you're going the 20" BBS RS-GT with H&R springs/spacers route.

As a side benefit, there was one of the only other M5's in Cincinnati on the lot at the same time. A German guy headquartered in LA, but has an M5 to drive here when he is in town. I parked next to his car, and the difference in appearance with the springs/spacers/wheels makes it look like a 'race' version of a stock car. What a difference - unfortunately didn't have my camera at the time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The last part of your post was hysterical :haha: . That's exactly what I thought when I put mine next to a fellow board member that had the H & R package...exactly why I then had to have it!. Love it...looks great. As to the mod..I'm going to print it so I can give it to my shop guy...where you running the PS tires? I was thinking of the Potenza's, I've had them before, they're a little tighter profile and may not need the body work...what do you think?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Cerberos said:
Great news! I'll drop mine off at my favorite auto body shop later this week. Any chance of you posting a picture of the modification they made?
Here are a couple pics of the offending area. Inner shows the bracket that clamps the two pieces together with material removed, the rolled lip, and the head of the bolt that was reduced. All is covered in underbody protectant. The outer pic is just to orient you where the inner work is.

6speedWould you still have the rubbing without the spacers?

No, without the spacers, no rubbing problems. But I would definitely recommend the spacers for both looks and handling. Talk to the EvoSport people about it.

1000 OaksThe last part of your post was hysterical :haha: . That's exactly what I thought when I put mine next to a fellow board member that had the H & R package...exactly why I then had to have it!. Love it...looks great. As to the mod..I'm going to print it so I can give it to my shop guy...where you running the PS tires? I was thinking of the Potenza's, I've had them before, they're a little tighter profile and may not need the body work...what do you think?

I'd be surprised if you didn't have rubbing with any 285/30 tire. The Michelins have a pretty rounded profile - not square. I would get the PS2's - it feels like a slot-car now!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Wolverine said:
Here are a couple pics of the offending area. Inner shows the bracket that clamps the two pieces together with material removed, the rolled lip, and the head of the bolt that was reduced. All is covered in underbody protectant. The outer pic is just to orient you where the inner work is.
Great! I took a look at my car this evening while I was reprogramming the HomeLink and you could clearly see the contact area. I'll get it trimmed later this week. I really appreciate the advice!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts