BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

BBS Hubcentric Ring Clip Removal Help

19K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Alpine2002 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a good way to remove the C-Clip that holds the hubcentric ring in a BBS wheel? I have tried to dig it out using two small screwdrivers- one to stop the clip from spinning and the other to pry it out. After not getting any bite on it at all, I ground down a nail to get a better sharp point. No luck. I cannot get anything behind it to release it.

Ideas? What has worked in the past? Thanks in advance.

Here are some pics to show what I'm talking about.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Probably because he got wheels with a hubcentric ring for a non-E39 (~72mm CB) and he would like to put them on an E39 (74.1mm CB.)

Reactions: M55555
#3 ·
You sure the ring isn't just pressed into place? It's less than 2mm thick. On my old BBS RK's there wasn't anything holding them, I just had to pop them out. Take the cap off the wheel and tap on the ring from the back and see what happens.

#8 ·
I love you guys. It isn't pressed in, but the clip is just small enough for the ring to move over top of the clip if it is hit with a large flatblade screwdriver and a rubber mallet, working around the ring to move it over the clip. However, the ring will not last. Being aluminum, it didn't withstand the abuse. Good thing they are $5 each.

Once again, Thank you gentlemen. I'm not sure you actually answered my question, but you did force me to look at the situation differently which in the end remedied the issue. Well done. Consider yourselves free to drink. You are now off the clock. Much appreciated.

Attachments

#6 ·
They came off an e9x M3. I need to change them out as stated to the 74mm rings which I have waiting.

I'm positive there is a clip in there. The only way hitting the rings from the center cap would work is if the rings pop over the clip. Which as I'm typing this, might be the ticket. I was thinking the clip had to come out, but perhaps it is just there to add tension and a snug fit. I'll report back shortly. Now, can I bang on these wheels without my wife hearing me. She doesn't know they exist.

Thanks for the quick responses fellas.

#7 ·
They came off an e9x M3. I need to change them out as stated to the 74mm rings which I have waiting.

I'm positive there is a clip in there. The only way hitting the rings from the center cap would work is if the rings pop over the clip. Which as I'm typing this, might be the ticket. I was thinking the clip had to come out, but perhaps it is just there to add tension and a snug fit. I'll report back shortly. Now, can I bang on these wheels without my wife hearing me. She doesn't know they exist.

Thanks for the quick responses fellas.
LOL, sounds familiar. :) Good luck!

#9 ·
Interesting. I wonder if it's because the CB of the wheel is larger than on my RK's. They were 74mm CB so I only needed to remove the old ones, not install new smaller ones. Are they 80mm? And which wheel is it? :)

#13 ·
Should be 80. I think the CH line and LM line have 80 CB, and as you know, rings to fit multiple CBs.

Alpine2002: sorry I didn't see your thread sooner so that I could have recommended picking up that pick set. I had the SAME exact situation as you, except I found the pick set before I went with "alternate" solutions ;)

Reactions: Alpine2002
#10 ·
I'll try to get pics up tomorrow, but the great unveil will show something that looks very much like four CH-R in 19x9, 19x10.5. If they fit.

#11 ·
Nice. Offset might be a bit wonky but easily fixed with spacers.

#12 ·
For future reference for those purchase BBS wheels in the future, this is what I used when I ran into this issue:

Pick up a pick set from your local automotive store, cost me about $10 for the set. I used the first one in the picture. Removes with zero issues.

Reactions: Alpine2002
#16 ·
For anyone trying to do this in the future, don't waste any time without the tools John mentions above. Wow, how easy some projects are when the right tools are used. 5 second job with the right stuff. Big Thanks my man.

#15 ·
Thanks guys. J- I'll probably call you anyway and may run by the local shop. It hit me last night as I was discussing the situation at a neighbor's party, if it damages the hubcentric ring on the way out, I still need to get the clip off/out to get the ring back in without damage. J, with you being local, I'd love your input on making sure these are mounted correctly. I'll be texting you shortly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.