BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 F10 M5
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm starting on Version 2 of my DIY intake. I am changing some of the design as some of my "covert" research, sorry for having to lie to some people to actually get information out of them, has given me some interesting data.

Instead of replacing the section between the MAFs and the plenum, I am going to keep it. It provides some flexability for engine movement. While it isn't perfect due to the uneven surface inside, some research has shown me that it flows quite well and there is no real loss of air flowing through it.

I am replacing the MAF housing with an aluminum unit, that accepts the BOSCH units we have, that is a full 3" inside and does not have the turbulance screen in front of it. FYI, if you have the IAT relo, gut the turblance screen. The primary reason it is there, I was told, is to provide some turblance to get air to pass over the IAT in the OE MAF. If you ever seen one you've noticed it isn't exacly in the full air stream path. BOSCH engineers can be rather nice if you can get a good conversation going with them. A secondary reason for the screen is a secondary measure to protect the MAF itself. Silly because the air filter isn't going to let in anything even remotely close to the size the screen was design to protect against.

The aluminum pipes stay. They are cheaper and very easy to get. What I am going to add is a thermal barrier. The silver thermal barrier isn't my style, so I'm going with Motor Armor (http://www.motorarmor.com). It's super thin and very flexable. I will also use that on the MAF housing.

I will also design a new air pump mount to provide more stability for it and get it further our of the way.

Cost has not reduced as cost has been moved from piping to the motor armor and the MAF housings. It might cost $50 more, but it still at least $2000 less then Dinan (Dinan as of 4/11/08 has their intake MSRP of $2499) and now with the Motor Armor it looks just as cool (subject to personal taste).

It should work very well with most aftermarket software.

Here's version 1 (http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79026).

It'll be a couple weeks before I get time to install it as I'm busy right now. So the pictures will be at least a couple weeks.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2013 F10 M5
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wirelessly posted (XV6700: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.8))

I added the pics to page 2 of the original post.

·
10,458 Posts
I am replacing the MAF housing with an aluminum unit, that accepts the BOSCH units we have, that is a full 3" inside and does not have the turbulance screen in front of it. FYI, if you have the IAT relo, gut the turblance screen.
Thoughts?
there was a guy i met a few years ago who made his own enlarged mafs, and cai. You'll need software to compensate for the larger diameter mafs, and the change in air volume, like dinan's stage 4 software (i think that's the stage), or have powerchip write something. Before he did this, he'd go into limp home mode on wot with a mafs fault.

·
Registered
319 Posts
It's Dinan Stage 3 software that goes with the larger MAFs... the software also expects to see relocated IATS.

there was a guy i met a few years ago who made his own enlarged mafs, and cai. You'll need software to compensate for the larger diameter mafs, and the change in air volume, like dinan's stage 4 software (i think that's the stage), or have powerchip write something. Before he did this, he'd go into limp home mode on wot with a mafs fault.

Very interested in seeing the aluminum MAF units... how much did it cost to make?

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Interested in the pictures...V1 looks great

·
Banned
156 Posts
This is great...well who would have thought, functional and cost effective...hmmm dinan can learn a lot from this. At $2499 they can suck all the air in they want but none of my money will ever touch their hands. There is a very fine line between a quality car part and a complete gouge.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Any progress?

Any pics to put up of version 2? This looks like a neat and cost effective project to do... Anyway, I was wondering about the piping. Does anyone have any input as to whether or not another material would work? I did a little google hunting and found this site:

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/

They have black silicone, which people might like due to the color matching with stock internals, but how would this affect the CAI? According to their website, silicone has better heat insulation than aluminum, but if you wrap it in that thermal shield stuff, the aluminum would probably come out ahead... Any thoughts?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts