BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

I recently moved my E39 M5 up here to the bay and I'm hoping I can solicit recommendations for an individual mechanic or small shop that board members recommend.

I am in the San Jose/Milpitas area--south bay.

I had a relationship with a one-man shop that was just starting out in LA previously, he had split off from a larger well-respected shop when it hit hard times. I really liked dealing with him because he personally managed my account AND worked on the car, so there was nothing lost in translation between the actual mechanic and the "handler". He was also really fairly priced, had great availability and had no problems with me asking a lot Q&A and bringing my own parts. I was really happy with him.

Just looking for someone like that up here in the Bay--maybe it's not available, but if people could recommend small M shops with hourly labor rate <130 or so, that would be helpful. I've already spent over 30K in maintenance in about 6 months, learning the hard way that hourly labor rate really adds up when you can't do the work yourself.

For the short term it's some small stuff:
--Shredded timing belt
--Valve cover leak
--Oil level sensor
--Oil change

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I'd be happy to help you out, I've done a lot of wrenching on M5's, including mine I've had for 11 years and I'm currently working on a Dinan S3. You're looking at probably 5-6 hours all in.

I usually do 80-100 / hour, but we can discuss if you're interested. Rate goes down if you help wrench :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey there! I just joined M5Board and was wondering if you may have some time to help me out as well :) I just moved to Redwood City and am looking for a good shop and could use a local contact if you're available. Can't PM yet either - let me know how to get in touch!

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Send an email to mgdmb at yahoo dot com (it's my throwaway account, I'll send you my real contact info through there...)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ll just say that mike aka mgdmb was a literal godsend to keeping my M5 on the road and I’m very glad I decided to post this - it worked out really well!

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I’ll just say that mike aka mgdmb was a literal godsend to keeping my M5 on the road and I’m very glad I decided to post this - it worked out really well!
Thanks Josh, really appreciate the kind words! We still don't want to see you again for at least six months ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not solely, no. What do you need help with ?
Good to know!
1. Changing out all my coils and sparks
2. Replacing precat o2 sensor
3. Replacing gears in both throttle actuators (diagnosed to be slowly failing so want to try swapping out the gears before purchasing whole new TAs)

I have all these parts coming in next week. Let me know if you can work on my car and your direct contact . Thank you.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Good to know!
1. Changing out all my coils and sparks
2. Replacing precat o2 sensor
3. Replacing gears in both throttle actuators (diagnosed to be slowly failing so want to try swapping out the gears before purchasing whole new TAs)

I have all these parts coming in next week. Let me know if you can work on my car and your direct contact . Thank you.
Ping me at mgdmb at yahoo dot com, I'll give you my contact info since I can't PM you...

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ping me at mgdmb at yahoo dot com, I'll give you my contact info since I can't PM you...

Thanks,
Mike
Just sent you an e-mail as well. I could also use some help with my M5 (I'm in SF, but down in Campbell fairly frequently). Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts