BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was ticketed by CHP for speeding a few weeks ago (I know get the V1 installed!) in San Jose (78 in a 65 on the 101). As many of you know by now I don't live here so my network of resources is light. I am looking for some advice from my Bay Area compadres on the best course of action for a speeding ticket out here.:1zhelp:

·
Registered
503 Posts
get an attorney

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Just forget about the ticket and never return to California :)

jk, get some local, professional advice...get a traffic attorney from that area.

Actually, another thing that I thought of, which you should look into is to see if your state and Cali share information. Not all states do. So, basically, you want to know, if you just pay the ticket, no contest, will it get back to your state. If it doesn't, then it won't go on your record in texas and your insurance will never hear of it.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Do written trial by declaration. If found guilty the Court will assign traffic school. It can be done online very quickly.

No points and you never have to appear in the court. This can all be done by phone. Including posting bail.

This state does have some cool legislation.

Reactions: My55

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Do written trial by declaration. If found guilty the Court will assign traffic school. It can be done online very quickly.

No points and you never have to appear in the court. This can all be done by phone. Including posting bail.

This state does have some cool legislation.
+1 and if not I have a good guy I just recently needed :M5launch: Yup exhibition of speed, not a good one :crying2:

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I was ticketed by CHP for speeding a few weeks ago (I know get the V1 installed!) in San Jose (78 in a 65 on the 101). As many of you know by now I don't live here so my network of resources is light. I am looking for some advice from my Bay Area compadres on the best course of action for a speeding ticket out here.:1zhelp:
The CHP has been doing heavy enforcement in the South Bay Area. One section of freeway is selected each day. The new laser speed guns look like a Uzi machine gun :nono:

There is an option to take traffic school. You will still need to pay the fine for speeding and also pay a fee for the school. This keeps the points off your driving record. The course can be completed online :M5thumbs:
A few years ago, the online course required an "in person" final test, but it seems this has changed.

More Santa Clara County specific information:
http://www.scselfservice.org/traffic/oview/howtxt.htm

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the advice. I will check on the sharing first and then on the other "remote" options.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Do traffic school (many online ones) if that option is available. That's the best solution.

Trial by declaration PRECLUDES attending traffic school if you loose (BTDT). If you loose, your only other option is trial de novo (new trial) in court, in person (BTDT too).

Traffic attorney is good in reducing offense/fine, no guarantee to get you off to maintain a clean record.

I still say pay fine, do traffic school if that's available to you.

Good luck.

CP

·
Registered
877 Posts
Just forget about the ticket and never return to California :)

jk, get some local, professional advice...get a traffic attorney from that area.

Actually, another thing that I thought of, which you should look into is to see if your state and Cali share information. Not all states do. So, basically, you want to know, if you just pay the ticket, no contest, will it get back to your state. If it doesn't, then it won't go on your record in texas and your insurance will never hear of it.
+1 - I have gotten speeding tickets in 6 different states (pre M5 and pre V1) and none of them got back to GA and insurance never went up. I think the magic cut off is 14mph over.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts