BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with these bavauto rotors? Anyone know who makes them? I need a new set of rotor soon and these looks pretty tempting as stock direct replacement. I won't get them if they perform worst than the stockers.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I can't imagine it would make any material difference. I thought they didn't come in sizes/fitment for the M5, however. Let us know if they do.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Drilled rotors will not be as durable as the stockers under heavy duty use. Under light duty use, they will perform similar to stock rotors. So long as they NEVER see highly elevated temps, they will not fail prematurely. Some folks experience high temps on the street while other's don't. It depends upon your driving manners. If you see triple digits with hard decel's, I would go stock.

Drilled stock-sized rotors are strictly for looks, no exception.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Lscman,

What about cryogenically (sp?) freezing the rotors? Does this add to their life span or alter their braking characteristics?
TripleD

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
cryo rotors help life by a couple percent (single digits). Basically, you'll pay double for a rotor with very similar performance envelope. The improvement is "tiny", so it only makes sense in professional, highly competitive situations where brake system hardware is limited by class rules. In many competitive environments, it makes great sense to extend your track time a few laps between pitstops. In typical M5 weekend warrior track duty, it's cheaper to change rotors more often to keep them in good shape.

In a bang for the buck analysis, cryo is a very poor upgrade for a street or amateur track car. If braking is insufficient, a larger brake system, higher temp pads and/or cool air ducts will offer bigger bang for the buck. Generally speaking, fresh DOT 4 fluid, pad compound & better ducting/cooling are the first thing you should address. If these upgrades are not sufficient, the next thing to address is brake system sizing/design. Again, cryo is last on most shopping lists.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Yes, looks is all. But that's all that I want, too, since my car doesn't see heavy track use.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
DMZ

if you added (or already have in place) high performance pads in addition to the rotors it would be a good stock upgrade, without gonig to a BBK. Lines and fluid would also be a smart buy

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input Lscman. Yes, my beast is strickly for streets driving. I am happy with the stock setup. I will probably just get some high performance pad with either the cross-drilled or the slotted rotors.

Lscman said:
Drilled rotors will not be as durable as the stockers under heavy duty use. Under light duty use, they will perform similar to stock rotors. So long as they NEVER see highly elevated temps, they will not fail prematurely. Some folks experience high temps on the street while other's don't. It depends upon your driving manners. If you see triple digits with hard decel's, I would go stock.

Drilled stock-sized rotors are strictly for looks, no exception.

·
Registered
83 Posts
dmz said:
Thanks for the input Lscman. Yes, my beast is strickly for streets driving. I am happy with the stock setup. I will probably just get some high performance pad with either the cross-drilled or the slotted rotors.
I just had this same conversation with Dave Z. Bottom line I bought the OEM rotors from Pacific BMW and the fluid, pads and steel braided lines from Dave Z.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts