BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have bavarian cross drilled rotors . They look nice and would cool a bit better. Bavarian also makes coil springs has anyone tried these????

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I need to know more! I am in the process of purchasing new rotors, and would love to find drilled rotors for OEM application

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
slowcar said:
Does anyone have bavarian cross drilled rotors . They look nice and would cool a bit better. Bavarian also makes coil springs has anyone tried these????
I've been thinking about these myself, especially now that I've got a front StopTech BBK waiting to be installed. I was contemplating buying the rotors for the rear, and perhaps painting the rear calipers to match the front, thus have a 'complete' look (until I decide to get Stoptechs for the rear one day).

I was at the Bavarian Autosport Oktoberfest meet this weekend in New Hampshire and saw their rotors in the showroom. Good fit anf finish overall. Note that they have slotted as well, not just the crossdrilled. Also, don't expect that you will feel an improvement in braking - it's only looks pretty much.

If you are going to replace rotors, it's a good time to think about upgrading your pads (Axxis Ultimates or the like) along with adding stanless steel brake lines - then you will notice an improved pedal feel (firmer) and slightly better stopping characteristics.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I dont know anything about the bavarian ones, but I too am looking for some rotors for my 540. A little while back I was doing some research and someone mentioned that some of the cross-drilled rotors are actually cast while others are just drilled. THe ones that are drilled are supposedly weaker than blank rotors and the cast ones. iIRC, zimmerman's crossdrilled are cast and I was considering those. I might have misunderstood this awhile back so if anyone knows better please correct me.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Sigh.

Cross drilling reduces the thermal mass hence increases rotor temp and pad temp all other factors the same. Also reduces surface area. Does NOT increase cooling. DOES allow surface gases generated from high speed braking to escape. If done wrong can be dangerous.

Slotting is done for the same reason (surface gas) but requires less removal of material.

A

·
Registered
776 Posts
I bought the OEM Euro floating rotors for the front and rear and am quite happy from Turner. They were cheaper than the heavier US ones from the local dealer. I also have the Euro brake ducts, Axis Ultimate pads and StopTech SS lines. I have tracked the car twice with and w/o the Euro rotors. The Euro seemed to hold up much better throughout the day. I need to go with a high temp pad in front though as the Ulimates were smoking after each run.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mikeoski said:
I bought the OEM Euro floating rotors for the front and rear and am quite happy from Turner. They were cheaper than the heavier US ones from the local dealer. I also have the Euro brake ducts, Axis Ultimate pads and StopTech SS lines. I have tracked the car twice with and w/o the Euro rotors. The Euro seemed to hold up much better throughout the day. I need to go with a high temp pad in front though as the Ulimates were smoking after each run.
Thanks for help

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
They were cheaper than the heavier US ones from the local dealer.
Any idea how much lighter the floating ones are than the U.S. ones? I'm likely going to these this time around. I only wish they were cross-drilled like the OEM floating rotors for the M3. The holes won't make them perform any better, probably worse, but they'd look cool. ouich What's nice about the floating design is that there's less heat transfer to the bearings, so the bearings should live longer.

BTW, Turner has them at a sale price of $498/pr. for the fronts ($60 off their regular price.)

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
There's no reason to go anywhere other than Dave Zeckhausen for brakes! Hands down, undisputed expert on M5 braking options. Dave is a board sponsor, as well.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
There's no reason to go anywhere other than Dave Zeckhausen for brakes! Hands down, undisputed expert on M5 braking options. Dave is a board sponsor, as well.
Yes, I agree. I don't know that he sells the OEM floating rotors though.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Need4Spd said:
Yes, I agree. I don't know that he sells the OEM floating rotors though.
Right, but if the Euro floating rotors was the best option, Dave would probably say so. Back when I was looking for drilled rotor options, Dave knew what/where to get them. I ended up cancelling the order and going with the Brembo BBK, but Dave stays "on top" of what's out there, and at least in my experience, he won't sell you something if it's not in your best interests. That's very refreshing, coming from a reseller.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
On the street it does not matter if you go drilled or slotted or both. If your thinking of taking it to the track you need more than just the rotors anyway. So putting a debate as to go one way or the other for this thread is unneeded.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts