BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

My battery symbol in the dash is flashing on and off? Did a quick search on forum and manuals, but do not see cause.

Could someone direct me as to the reason why this might be happening?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12,967 Posts
vvanherk said:
Hi.

My battery symbol in the dash is flashing on and off? Did a quick search on forum and manuals, but do not see cause.

Could someone direct me as to the reason why this might be happening?

Thanks in advance.
Don't know and don't have the owners manual handy, but first thing I would check is the alternator belt. Then the connections on the battery (in the trunk) although less likely if everything is working.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
gsfent said:
Don't know and don't have the owners manual handy, but first thing I would check is the alternator belt. Then the connections on the battery (in the trunk) although less likely if everything is working.
Regards,
Jerry
Unlike Jerry, I always have MY manual with me where ever I go-kidding kidding :D!!
Seriously, after peeking through my '02 manual, I can't find any reference to a flashing battery symbol, only on that remains lit. For the lit symbol it says, and I quote
"Alternator charge current-The battery is no longer being charged. Indicates a defective alternator drive belt or a problem with the alternator's charge circuit. Please contact the nearest BMW center."

I think you may have a mystery here!! Maybe a call to your SA might shed some light on it??? Sorry I don't have anything for you. Good luck and let us know what happens!

Anita

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jerry and Anita.

I think I'll be scheduling a service. I've noticed also that my button inside car for trunk does not open it, but key fob does... Likely a loose connection somewhere. Still under warranty :)

Thanks for your help, and Anita, try to find something to snuggle up to other then a Beemer manual :)

I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
vvanherk said:
Thanks for your help, and Anita, try to find something to snuggle up to other then a Beemer manual :)
Ha Ha, I guess that does sound rather boring. Well, I'll just have to switch over to Grassroots Motorsports or something a little more risque like that!
:1:

·
Registered
12,967 Posts
Anita said:
Well, I'll just have to switch over to Grassroots Motorsports or something a little more risque like that!
:1:
Fredericks of Minnesota? hiha
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
gsfent said:
Fredericks of Minnesota? hiha
Regards,
Jerry
Hey, I just place an order with them yesterday as a matter of fact. No wait, that was Motorwerks BMW of Minnesota.
And I just ordered oil.......MOTOR OIL, MOTOR OIL!!! :1:
Anita

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hola.

Just thought I would provide an update. Took the beast into the dealer, and they found the alternator was going. Replaced under warranty....happy beast once again.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Just out of curiosity was the blinking sporadic, or periodic like it was intended to flash that way?

Ray

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rvacha said:
Just out of curiosity was the blinking sporadic, or periodic like it was intended to flash that way?

Ray
Hey Ray.

It was periodically sporadic :)

It would flash on and off, put not perfect timing, and would be intermittent at times, then sometimes non existant. :eek:oohhh:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
vvanherk said:
Hola.

Just thought I would provide an update. Took the beast into the dealer, and they found the alternator was going. Replaced under warranty....happy beast once again.
Thanks for taking the time to post a follow-up. Always nice to learn the problem/solution was. Plus it drives me (more) nuts when someone has a situation like this and you never know what the eventual outcome is :haha:
Glad everything is once again well!
Anita

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I hate to bump a really old thread, but this just happened to me this afternoon. We'd been sitting in traffic, waiting to pick the kids up from school when the symbol started flashing. The idle varied as well. I figured something is getting hot, because after we go moving again, the flashing stopped and the idle returned to normal.

I guess my question is: Is the alternator possibly on the way out, as it appeared it was for the OP?

I just crossed 51K miles, so I'm going to check some of the obvious things, like belt and connections.

I will run Test #9 in the instrument cluster and see what it says about battery voltage. Does anyone know if this updates in real time, so that I could tell if the alternator was charging?

I really suck at electrics so this has me pretty concerned. Right now, I would say this is intermittent since it's only happened once, but I'd like to get in front of this as soon as possible.

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I hate to bump a really old thread, but this just happened to me this afternoon. We'd been sitting in traffic, waiting to pick the kids up from school when the symbol started flashing. The idle varied as well. I figured something is getting hot, because after we go moving again, the flashing stopped and the idle returned to normal.

I guess my question is: Is the alternator possibly on the way out, as it appeared it was for the OP?

I just crossed 51K miles, so I'm going to check some of the obvious things, like belt and connections.

I will run Test #9 in the instrument cluster and see what it says about battery voltage. Does anyone know if this updates in real time, so that I could tell if the alternator was charging?

I really suck at electrics so this has me pretty concerned. Right now, I would say this is intermittent since it's only happened once, but I'd like to get in front of this as soon as possible.

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks!

you can use that test yes, to see what your voltage is when your driving. it has to be 13.8 up to 14.3Volts.

alternators do break now and then. inside the alternator there are coals that generate voltage when the car turns/alternator turns by the belt.
i cant tell it in detail how it works in general but..

these coals can wear out by time, then you get some movement on the axle where the belt is situated on. and by that movement the coals touch or dont touch from the extra movment from the axle and you get the flasching battery light in the cluster because it loads and not load when spinning around..

anyway, your alternator is probably going south.

here in europe we can buy refurbed ones for half the price +your old alternator you must trade in again.
i guess overthere they do the same? otherwise check real oem and try to search with the part number. my guess is they used our alternators in other cars also, and maybe you can find one second hand somewhere or on a salvage yard or something for a bargain..

·
Registered
160 Posts
Not picking on your English, since I guarantee its better than my Flemish, but that would be coils, not coals. Unless the alternator is steam powered... ;-)

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I figure it's probably on its way out, and the heat didn't help things. I know electrical stuff that is weak can fail in the heat, or at least heat can speed up a failure. I work on pinball machines and the electrics and electronics do wear more when heat is a factor.

I'll do some testing tomorrow and post some results. I may start a new thread, but I'll link back to this one.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Not picking on your English, since I guarantee its better than my Flemish, but that would be coils, not coals. Unless the alternator is steam powered... ;-)

yeah i know my english isn't that good :biggrin: , but whe call them coals overhere, as a matter off fact actually they are magnets instead off coals.

the alternator got positive and negative loaded magnets in there that generate ions or electricity when spinning around
that electricity is captured by some brusches that then gide the electricity to the coils .
here's a good explanation that tells you better how it works. very interesting explanation off that guy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts