BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting the Beast into hibernation for the winter (indoors of course), and was wondering how best to keep the battery in shape.

Based on information here I've going to get an intelligent trickle charger which monitors the battery condition and slowly charges it ( 2 amp) when required, then shuts off, then starts again as necessary.

My question is should I leave the battery connected to the car, or completely disconnect and/or remove from the car? If I do need to completely remove it will there be any loss of memory in the electrical systems other than the obvious time/date and radio settings when I go to start her up again?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I use the BMW battery tender (also available under other brand names for less money), which simply plugs into the cigar lighter socket, and just leave it there all the time. The idea with lead acid batteries is to keep them just topped up without boiling off the electrolyte, which is what these modern tenders are designed to do. If you disconnect and reconnect it every few weeks, it will lose charge between connects, which is OK, but just don't forget to reconnect it every so often, or just leave it plugged in like an electric car.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANKS FOR THE GREAT TIP!:cheers:

Solves all my problems! Just called my local dealer who put one aside for me. $94.00 Canadian. Not bad - all the aftermarket ones I've seen were running $60-$129.00.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Do you put it on jackstands or otherwise unweight the tires?

I've never not driven a car for long enough, but was wondering if this was advised... maybe mroe so for hot climes?

a

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ard said:
Do you put it on jackstands or otherwise unweight the tires?

I've never not driven a car for long enough, but was wondering if this was advised... maybe mroe so for hot climes?

a
I was told that as long as you inflate them to or close to the maximum pressure allowed as per the MAX PRESSSURE indicated on the sidewall by the manufacturer, you will not have any problems with flat-spotting.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You can get a lot of advice on this subject by visiting a Z3 board. Given the type of vehicle, there are lots of owers there who store their vehicles for the winter. I wouldn't consder mine to be in storage but it has only been driven once in the last two months and may sit a couple more before it runs again. I haven't needed a tender but I do keep the fuel tank full to prevent condensation, inflate the tires to max pressure to avoid flat spotting, and cover the vehicle to protect the body even though it's in the garage. Additional ideas include topping off the battery w/ distilled water and if it's outside - taping over the exhaust and air intakes to prevent rodents from nesting. Yep, it's happened and it isn't pretty. If you're able to drive it periodically (vs a prolonged no-run storage period), make sure you get it fully up to operating temperature. A short crank while still in the garage or even a quick run around the block will likely do more harm than good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts