BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, think I got it done...let me know if it looks like I'm missing something.

Got one from Autobarn - Deka AGM Exact Fit Battery - EAS9AGM49. Hard to beat the price after applying the $20 off.

Found this thread - DIY - Register new battery - BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum - E90Post.com
From Post 2 -

In that case you open up Toolset 32 (under EDIABAS folder):
1. Open MSD80.prg
2. Look up steuern_batterietausch_registri. (near bottom of job list)
3. Go to Jobs menu
4. Select Run Job

(May alternatively be under MSV70 or MSV80.prg)

Also, and this is important:
THIS IS ONLY FOR REGISTERING AN OEM BATTERY FROM BMW! Alternate replacements will need additional coding to match voltage etc differences

I'm using Windows Virtual PC (Windows XP Mode). Below are some screen captures of the above steps, from what I can tell it completed. The results after running the job are not the easiest to understand.

I used the Tool32 file which opened up as Toolset 32. I ran the 'steuern_batterietausch_registr' job by double-clicking on it. Believe it ran since it updated the Results and Job-Info window. Maybe someone who's done this before or able to translate the messages can confirm that I was able to complete the registration successfully. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I performed the registration several months ago and don't remember the details ouich
There are battery registration options in several programs (INPA, NCS Expert, Toolset 32).

The mileage is recorded when a battery is successfully registered. This history can be read back using INPA, to confirm registration.
I tried several programs without success, but eventually the current mileage (in km) was recorded :applause:
Unfortunately, I'm not sure which was the correct program or correct module.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
This is the correct procedure as long as the replacement is the exact same CCA and AH rating as the OEM, otherwise Clyde is correct, there are other procedures for a non exact CCA and Ah match to the OEM. Check the specs on the one you purchased (extract below), against your OEM to be sure. Otherwise the charging amperage will be incorrect.

Your replacement specs:
Specifications:
Cranking Amps: 1035
Cold Cranking Amps: 900
Reserve Capacity: 180
Ah Rate (20 Hr): 95
Part Number: 9AGM49
Dimensions: 13 16/15" L x 6 15/16" W x 7 1/2" H

·
Registered
181 Posts
Where do you find this software for Windows?

·
Registered
2 Posts
So this is old thread. :( I'm trying to register a new battery on my E60...not an M5 though...more like 525i. :p Any way, I'm running tools32 but for some reason I don't have the MSD80.prg file. How do I go about getting it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi guys,

recently had to had my battery changed on an emergency on a non BMW dealer. I'm not sure if he registered the battery or not, though I assume he hasn't. What are the consequences of not registering the battery?

·
Registered
682 Posts
If you search through the posts you will see that the registration is so that the car knows the best charging pattern for your battery based on what it is and its age/mileage. Many have put in new batteries and not registered them and had no issues. Others have had batteries go pretty quickly.

Up to you to determine if it is worth it. If your new battery is same specs as battery being replaced, shouldn't be too much of an issue. I registered mine with DIS.

:cheers:

Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
The thing is... I started having a "High rate of battery discharge" message with the old battery and with the new one as well from day one, so could it be related to both batteries possibly not having been registered in the first place?

Attachments

·
Registered
682 Posts
The high rate of discharge is usually something else. Time for a deep dive into the board using search. I remember several different issues (alternator, regulator, etc.) it could be but don't have links, sorry.

:cheers:

Jim

P.S. - don't forget to look at the e60 forum as these issues would be the same for both cars. Also, if you get the error codes read, more specific help is possible.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The thing is... I started having a "High rate of battery discharge" message with the old battery and with the new one as well from day one, so could it be related to both batteries possibly not having been registered in the first place?
First I would recommend a good code reader and clearer - not sure if you own one - if not and if so I would still recommend - Carly for BMW - they have it for Forbidden Fruit products and Android - plus you will need to purchase a Carly OBDII dongle - total investment about 100 USD - however; you get:

1. Diagnostic Code reading and clearing
2. Coding - lots of coding IE: mirrors, windows key fob functions etc
3. Used car check
4. Idrive programming
5. Battery registration
6. service reset

and so much more .......... if you are new to ownership for this model it is highly recommended to own a nice one - no one will be able to help you and the first thing they are going to ask is what code is it throwing if you need other help in the future. Just throwing that out there .....

High battery discharge could be anything from comfort access handles to alternator etc ....... I would register the battery it does affect its charging cycle and duration plus longevity.

Carly for BMW has a ton of functions and diagnostics which may help you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi guys,
Just to share current progress with you. I finally decided to unplug the ULF module to try and see if it would stop the audio cut in/cut off and potentially solve the “High rate of battery discharge” message. Bluetooth was not working anyway so there was nothing to lose.
There were two connections: an optical connection and the power connection. I tried turning on the ignition between each and every connection I’ve unplugged and everything kept working (audio/radio/CD/parking sensors/GPS). I found no optical connection exiting from the ULF module and so I decided to leave it there unplugged.
And… the “high rate of battery discharge” message didn’t reappear, so great news thus far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts