BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I store my beast in a city I don’t live in but visit once a month for work. So it sits for 30 days, each time.

There’s no power to be had in the garage. Battery is dead every time from security system. I use jumper packs, sometimes 2, to get it going every month.

Obviously this is bad.

I tried to find a thread on which kill switch to install and where, but everyone seems to dead end on not clearing the cover flap so it sits flush.

Any ideas ? Also @mgdmb you’d be my main man for installing it feel free to chime in!

Josh

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
You definitely want to use the negative side. I would look at putting the switch where the main negative off the battery attaches to the frame. Easy to access.

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Are you starting the car every month and not driving it? Just take the negative terminal off and unless you are going to actually do something with the car take the positive off and remove the battery. Starting the car every thirty days is not a good thing, it is a really bad thing. If the car is being stored then store it properly. Wheels off or off the ground, battery out, stabilizer for the gas and other fluids and a nice cotton cover.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Hey Josh - If you really want a switch, I'd do something simple like this:

Easiest solution is just unhook the negative in the trunk and but a microfiber or similar between the terminal and cable though...

·
Registered
39 Posts
You can try a solar trickle charger and maybe an extension cable to reach outdoor for the panel. Available in various dimensions / voltage.

Deltran panel accessory:

Unless you don't have sunlight.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I store my beast in a city I don’t live in but visit once a month for work. So it sits for 30 days, each time.

There’s no power to be had in the garage. Battery is dead every time from security system. I use jumper packs, sometimes 2, to get it going every month.
I store my M5 each winter for 6 months... I simply disconnect negative battery terminal... 1 minute activity with a 10mm socket. Reconnect in spring, fires right up. On/off switch might be nice but un-needed.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Could you please send a photo how you made this fit. I tried on my car, and it just doesn't fit with the battery cover etc.
my M5 is sold & don't have pic of my battery ,my cover had the piece broken off the negative side and i had the disconnect turned to the right a little bit, but it looked similar to this pic:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes, but this won't work with the standard cover that's over the battery, and I would like not to through it out. It's still a good protection as a cover of the battery.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It looks like that switch may fit, with the cover, but the lid may not close tight. With the lid open, there's already a hole in the cover. Might fit, might not. Probably will.

If not, get creative.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts