BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if an Odyssey PC1700 battery will fit in the M5? I have heard the M5 takes a "group 95" size, but the PC1700 is a group 65. Seems to me I saw a post where someone put in the Odyssey in the E39 M5.

I have an Odyssey PC 1700 in my M635, and it fits but I had to make some brackets to hold it centered because its a bit undersized. I think the M635 also took a group 95 battery. They are a bit more expensive, but last a lot longer. My current battery is on its way out.

·
Registered
12,961 Posts
Does anyone know if an Odyssey PC1700 battery will fit in the M5? I have heard the M5 takes a "group 95" size, but the PC1700 is a group 65. Seems to me I saw a post where someone put in the Odyssey in the E39 M5.

I have an Odyssey PC 1700 in my M635, and it fits but I had to make some brackets to hold it centered because its a bit undersized. I think the M635 also took a group 95 battery. They are a bit more expensive, but last a lot longer. My current battery is on its way out.
I have one in mine.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,961 Posts
Did you have to modify anything to make it fit?
I was able to get the cables to fit (not sure if I got reverse post, need to check) and from memory I wedged something on the other end because it is not as wide. I believe I simplky put a small block of wood to keep it from moving.
It is every so slightly taller, but I got the styrofoam cover to fit. AFAIK, it is rock solid back there.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Sounds about what I remember with the M6. I have had the Odyssey in that car for more than 5 years, and it solved a lot of voltage and starting problems I had.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I also had one in my M5. All I had to do was to wedge in some cardboard to take up the extra room in the compartment, and cut out a notch in the styrofoam cover so that it would fit over the relocated postive cable.

Problem is, the battery died after about a year. Kaput. And the dealer had since gone out of business.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Interestingly I just did this yesterday. My battery died over the weekend and I have a friend in the battery business who could get me the Odyssey. The PC1700 fit fine, however, it is shorter thus I too wedged in some cardboard to temporarily hold it tight, but will probably do something different and 'clean it up' shortly.

An interesting note was that my ground cable wasn't long enough to allow the battery to be moved all the way to the left (drivers side), thus the positive cable cannot streach completely out, thus it is somewhat curved which means I can't currently put the stock battery cover back on -- yet, thus something else I will address with my 'clean up'.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also had one in my M5. All I had to do was to wedge in some cardboard to take up the extra room in the compartment, and cut out a notch in the styrofoam cover so that it would fit over the relocated postive cable.

Problem is, the battery died after about a year. Kaput. And the dealer had since gone out of business.
Manufacturer is still in business. Perhaps you should contact them. Since you are in LA, you might want to contact West Coast Batteries (http://www.odysseybatteries.com/). They have a three year warranty so maybe you can still get a replacement.

These batteries need to be fully charged with the right type of charger. A regular car battery tender will not work properly. I have used one from Xenotronics. My M6 has a very weak charging system (only about 13.5V), which is way to low for the Odyssey. It needs a system to charge it to about 14.7 V to keep it at 100%. The E39 has a much better charging system.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interestingly I just did this yesterday. My battery died over the weekend and I have a friend in the battery business who could get me the Odyssey. The PC1700 fit fine, however, it is shorter thus I too wedged in some cardboard to temporarily hold it tight, but will probably do something different and 'clean it up' shortly.

An interesting note was that my ground cable wasn't long enough to allow the battery to be moved all the way to the left (drivers side), thus the positive cable cannot streach completely out, thus it is somewhat curved which means I can't currently put the stock battery cover back on -- yet, thus something else I will address with my 'clean up'.
I'll pull the one out of my M6 and try in the M5 this weekend. Then I can get a better idea regarding the fitment.

Thanks for all your posts.

·
Registered
12,961 Posts
These batteries need to be fully charged with the right type of charger. A regular car battery tender will not work properly. I have used one from Xenotronics. My M6 has a very weak charging system (only about 13.5V), which is way to low for the Odyssey. It needs a system to charge it to about 14.7 V to keep it at 100%. The E39 has a much better charging system.
My OBC only charges at 13.7v. No problem keeping the battery charged with even semi regular use.

I can tell you that if you don't use the car for about 4 weeks without a charger, you will not have enough juice to start the car (although there is still enough juice to run everything else). A quick jump and all was good.

I like the battery because it is a deep discharge battery and will take a bunch of discharge cycles if necessary. Plus the cranking amps and CCA are both better than factory.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My OBC only charges at 13.7v. No problem keeping the battery charged with even semi regular use.

I can tell you that if you don't use the car for about 4 weeks without a charger, you will not have enough juice to start the car (although there is still enough juice to run everything else). A quick jump and all was good.

I like the battery because it is a deep discharge battery and will take a bunch of discharge cycles if necessary. Plus the cranking amps and CCA are both better than factory.
Regards,
Jerry
Jerry:
You can check with the manufcaturer, but this battery needs to be charged to over 14.5 volts or you will not get 100% of the charge stored. Of course, it will still function fine, but it will not have all the reserve potential. From odysseybatteries.com:

Step 1 - Charger output voltage
Determining the charger output voltage is the most important step in the charger qualification process. If the voltage output from the charger is less than 14.2V or more than 15V for a 12V battery do not use the charger.

I have attached the manual for the Xeontronics charger I have FYI.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts