BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 18 months ago, i installed a new Batteries Plus battery and patted myself on the back for saving a few hundred dollars over the dealer. Now, I've been stranded several times this week-and with my 5 year old in the car!
It seems the Batteries Plus battery developed a small leak in the bottom of the battery and then the positive terminal/cable became corroded. The cable actually developed a split about 4 inches long and fully corroded from the battery post to the end of the split in the plastic protective covering. My indie claims these batteries are rebuilt and thus the cheap prices. Can anyone confirm this is true?
Just installed an Interstate, about $250. Let's hope this lasts longer!

Good luck with your Batteries Plus batteries. Mine could be an isolated event, but I did think I was buying a brand new battery, not a rebuilt one.

TripleD

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Just get an optima and call it a day. That is of course if it comes in that size.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
My indie claims these batteries are rebuilt and thus the cheap prices. Can anyone confirm this is true?
That sounds highly suspect to me. They are sold as new and what with consumer fraud laws and all, I doubt they'd make that a regular practice w/o telling you up front. I think the Batt Plus prices are comparatively low because the dealer prices have a high markup. $250 for an Interstate battery sounds high to me. I got a quote for an Interstate about the same time I got my Batt. Plus one, and they were about the same price maybe $125-150. I think batteries from the dealer are maybe $250.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
I had a Mercedes years ago. Bought a new, original factory brand battery (Varta) from my Mercedes dealer and it leaked all over my carpet before I got it home (it had a crack in the bottom of the case). It can happen ... that's why we have warranties ...

With Chinese made batteries available ... I bought a battery for my computer back-up system a month ago from Batteries Plus, and it was made in China ... NOBODY needs to resell used batteries ...

You got a defective battery ... plain and simple.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Just a data point - my OEM battery lasted 7.5 years. I could not find a battery of the correct size at any of the local battery shops, so I stopped by the dealer with my CCA card and bought a battery identical to the one it replaced for about $175. If this one lasts 7.5 years, it will be money well spent.

BTW my 540i buddy said he bought a correct sized battery at Sam's Club for $59 about 3 months ago.

Steve
00 M5

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Rebuilt batteries are rare. Any piece of crap $40 battery will have a brand new case, so I'm sure yours does too. A cracked plastic case can happen to any battery. Cold weather & installation can cause it.

Your indy sounds like he's trying to drum up business by criticizing stuff that he did not do. Any indy who claims that Batteries Plus recycles $2 plastic battery cases to cut costs would be on my watch list for liars and crooked mechanics. I have not seen a remanufactured automotive battery in the last 25 years.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Replaced a batteries plus battery when I bought the car. 2 years old and wouldnt hold a charge worth a crap. OEM all the way.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I had to make that call a few months back. There was only a $40 or so difference between the OEM and the batteries plus unit. I went OEM because there was a 50 amp/hour difference between the ratings; the OEM was 50 more.

I wasn't sure it would make a difference but decided to go with the larger rated battery.

·
Registered
26 Posts
About 18 months ago, i installed a new Batteries Plus battery and patted myself on the back for saving a few hundred dollars over the dealer. Now, I've been stranded several times this week-and with my 5 year old in the car!
It seems the Batteries Plus battery developed a small leak in the bottom of the battery and then the positive terminal/cable became corroded. The cable actually developed a split about 4 inches long and fully corroded from the battery post to the end of the split in the plastic protective covering. My indie claims these batteries are rebuilt and thus the cheap prices. Can anyone confirm this is true?
Just installed an Interstate, about $250. Let's hope this lasts longer!

Good luck with your Batteries Plus batteries. Mine could be an isolated event, but I did think I was buying a brand new battery, not a rebuilt one.

TripleD

What was the brand/size on the battery? I've had a similar issue but they replaced it via warranty. It was a Werker, size 95R. If it happens again, I'm going with an Optima and not have to deal with this again.

And I wouldn't buy your indie's word on rebuilt batteries, he may just be trying to justify the huge dealer markup.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
The Douglas battery that I bought a little less than 2 yrs ago from Batteries Plus failed miserably, and when I returned it, indeed it was deemed defective. Got a replacement, this time made b Exide, which the BP rep claims is the one now sold in the dealerships... Comes with 6 yr prorated warranty (full money-back in the first 18 months). With the price of lead hacing quadrupled, batteries are getting expensive!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
The Douglas battery that I bought a little less than 2 yrs ago from Batteries Plus failed miserably, and when I returned it, indeed it was deemed defective. Got a replacement, this time made b Exide, which the BP rep claims is the one now sold in the dealerships... Comes with 6 yr prorated warranty (full money-back in the first 18 months). With the price of lead hacing quadrupled, batteries are getting expensive!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought this was interesting: Since replacing my battery, I also ordered a positive terminal battery cable as mine split near the terminal and was badly corroded due to the leaking battery.
If I understand this correctly, there's a charge or type of blasting cap on this cable near the positive terminal that in the event of an accident, it will detonate, thus disconnecting the power source. This cable was $271 and apparently can only be purchased via the dealer due to the fact you have to be licensed to carry these detonating cables.
And by the way, the cable runs from the battery, behind the rear seat, under the passenger carpet and then thru a hole and beneath the car to the engine bay. It must have been about 6-7 feet long.
Once removed, we hooked up the old cable to a battery in the parking lot to see how the detonation would work. Once triggered, it did detonate, all self contained inside the plastic housing at the end of the cable nearest the battery terminal. Pretty much a loud pop and non event, but interesting nonetheless.
I'm curious if this battery cable is standard on all 5 series or just the M5's.
TripleD

Reactions: Ted

·
Registered
480 Posts
I thought this was interesting: Since replacing my battery, I also ordered a positive terminal battery cable as mine split near the terminal and was badly corroded due to the leaking battery.
If I understand this correctly, there's a charge or type of blasting cap on this cable near the positive terminal that in the event of an accident, it will detonate, thus disconnecting the power source. This cable was $271 and apparently can only be purchased via the dealer due to the fact you have to be licensed to carry these detonating cables.
And by the way, the cable runs from the battery, behind the rear seat, under the passenger carpet and then thru a hole and beneath the car to the engine bay. It must have been about 6-7 feet long.
Once removed, we hooked up the old cable to a battery in the parking lot to see how the detonation would work. Once triggered, it did detonate, all self contained inside the plastic housing at the end of the cable nearest the battery terminal. Pretty much a loud pop and non event, but interesting nonetheless.
TripleD
That's interesting, I nver knew the car had a detonating battery cable. How or when does it detonate?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I understand correctly, it's wired into the SRS system for the airbags and will detonate/disconnect upon air bags being deployed.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Check the current issue of Roundel, you'll see in the letters section a picture of a totaled/flipped M5 and the write up with it describes the disconnecting battery cable.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
FWIW, the BMWNA MSRP on the battery is $224, and if you're a CCA member, you should be able to buy it for 10 to 15% off that price. www.getbmwparts.com has it priced at $179.20.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Does anyone have any part#'s for their successful battery replacements?

I think mine needs to be replaced asap as it will hardly hold a charge.

Thanks in advance.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
TripleD
The same cable is used on all BMWs and has been for years.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
If I understand correctly, it's wired into the SRS system for the airbags and will detonate/disconnect upon air bags being deployed.
YES

1 - 20 of 27 Posts