BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2001 M5 and I love it. I am wondering, however, if there are any simple performance mods for the M5 that actually make a difference.

I have owned a couple dozen high performance sports cars, but have tended to find that aftermarket performance mods mostly seem to work on turbocharged cars. If you swap out an ECU on either a 993TT or a 996TT, you can pick up an extra 50 hp no problem.

However, when I visited the Dinan site and saw that it costs about $7K to do their stage 1 mods and you only pick up about 7 hp, it certainly doesn't seem very worthwhile. Can one even notice a difference?

So if anybody has any hot tips that actually work, I'm all ears.

For the record, I have no plans to drop $25K on mods to this car. Been there done that before, and always get clobbered on the day I sell!

Thanks to all!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Hey Wolf,

There are no free rides with the beast.

About the best bang per buck is the "Powerchip."

Boardmembers get a discount. Improved throttle response, raised rev limiter and you can get rid of the speed limiter, and about 12 Hp. All for Under $1K.

Regards MIB

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MIB,

I suspected that there would be no free lunch with resect to modding the M5. I think I'll chip it, add a rear sway bar and call it a day.

BTW, I also have a 2000 E55 sitting out in my garage. What a piece of sh** compared to the M5!!!! Don't know what I was thinking for driving that pig the last 9 months!

Thanks for the reply.

Wolf

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Hey Wolf,

If you don't just count HP as performance mods, there are still some nice ones.

IATS, (Intake Air Temp Sensor) Relocation. The Beast suffers from heat soak. This doesn't add Power, but it sure feels like it. It restores potential lost power. $100.

Larger wheels up front helpwith understeer.

K-Mac adjustable camber plates are cheap as well. :cheers:

·
Registered
203 Posts
wolfturbo said:
I just bought a 2001 M5 and I love it. I am wondering, however, if there are any simple performance mods for the M5 that actually make a difference.

I have owned a couple dozen high performance sports cars, but have tended to find that aftermarket performance mods mostly seem to work on turbocharged cars. If you swap out an ECU on either a 993TT or a 996TT, you can pick up an extra 50 hp no problem.

However, when I visited the Dinan site and saw that it costs about $7K to do their stage 1 mods and you only pick up about 7 hp, it certainly doesn't seem very worthwhile. Can one even notice a difference?

So if anybody has any hot tips that actually work, I'm all ears.

For the record, I have no plans to drop $25K on mods to this car. Been there done that before, and always get clobbered on the day I sell!

Thanks to all!
Hey Wolf.

My car actually came with following mods:
Dinan High Flow Cold Air Intake
Dinan High Flow Air Mass Meters
Dinan 3.45 Limited Slip Differential
Kelleners Exhaust

Very happy with them. In test driving non-modded cars, could definately tell the difference. I think the 3.45 gears make a big improvement, and the Kelleners sound great.

:cheers:

·
Registered
83 Posts
MIB said:
Hey Wolf,

There are no free rides with the beast.

About the best bang per buck is the "Powerchip."

Boardmembers get a discount. Improved throttle response, raised rev limiter and you can get rid of the speed limiter, and about 12 Hp. All for Under $1K.

Regards MIB
MIB, where is the extra 12 hp coming from??? For $800. the "Powerchip" should be the single biggest selling mod for M5 owners. Best John

·
Registered
259 Posts
12 hp verified on a non-modified car? I think 12hp is extremely optimistic. After all if it eats more it needs to poop more - so without exhaust mods I would question this -

-Jeff
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
johnv said:
For $800. the "Powerchip" should be the single biggest selling mod for M5 owners. Best John
It is. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Nolift911 said:
12 hp verified on a non-modified car? I think 12hp is extremely optimistic. After all if it eats more it needs to poop more - so without exhaust mods I would question this -

-Jeff
[email protected]
It has been demonstrated countless times on the board. Even independant board owners raced, then swapped cars before the Chip. Then raced again after the chip and swapped and raced again.

The Chipped car, which was the slower car before the chip. It then won the race with both drivers, after it was chipped. That is conclusive that the chip makes the car faster.

But it goes way beyond a mere 12 HP. It feels like 20 HP becasue of the Throttle response.

Powerchip had a Try before you buy. Everyone who tried, Liked it and bought it.

On all the countless polls, it always appeared as one of the best bangs per buck.

Go drive someones car who has one. But be warned, it will cost you money. :hihi:

No one really cares about 12 HP, its about the feel of the car, The increased RPM, and NO Speed limiter are worth the cost by themself.

You can play on a dyno all day, but the fact is, a Powerchiped car brings a smile to the face, way bigger and sooner than a stock one. :M5launch:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Wolf,

MIB is right, the powerchip upgrade is worth the price. I think its even priced less than the 800 posted (i paid 500 for mine). In addition, the only other parts that you might want to look into are some new brake pads and maybe a short shifter.

No lift
the values given are true. The reason for this is the changing of the ignition/fuel curves. While you will always gain more power by optimizing the engine DME for an exhaust so you will get even more power with an exhaust

·
Registered
330 Posts
:byebye:
Powerchip - yes it works good.
IATS - seems like a certain % have SES pop up.
Tubi exhaust prob has most gain, expensive for 6HP, but sounds good! Other than this, mufflers on this car are for look and sound mostly. I admit i got Kelleners for the sound. Psychologically i have +10HP, in reality hey did i say it look & sounds cool?
Supersprint Xpipe - works, not expensive,
muffler shop labor inexpensive too.

If street car and you do some spirted driving - the stock brakes, wheels, tires, and suspension are adequate for some fun. There are nice suspension systems for good price check Eibach, H&R, Ground Control. There are many debates on here to which one is most effective.

Daniel at BeastPower has all this stuff he gives good deals! www.beastpower.com

Other than these IMO for the money not worth it unless you go forced induction or Dinan S2 which can get expensive.
But hey im a cheap bastard and work a lot of hours for my cash. Others will beg to differ; but sounds like the performance you get in exchange for your earned moneys value is important.

·
Registered
296 Posts
wolfturbo said:
MIB,
I suspected that there would be no free lunch with resect to modding the M5. I think I'll chip it, add a rear sway bar and call it a day.
Very wise.
The M gnomes did such a great job at tuning your M5, there is very little extra performance to be had without spending a great deal of money.
A Powerchip and sway bar, plus perhaps a short-shift kit, are good choices for reasonable modifications without breaking the bank.

Have fun with your new ride!

Best,
Bert

·
Registered
784 Posts
Congratulations with your new car........

Now all of these are good comments and suggestions.

If I might pop in I would share that as well tuned as the M5 is from Germany the exhaust remains a significant bottle neck. Not only do headers relieve this bottle neck and provide measurable horsepower increases add to this hardware defined software modifications such as the wonderful package offered by the folks at PowerChip and I remain confident that you will be impressed.

If headers as well as other exhaust pieces are not on your to-do list at the time then tweaking the DME’s programming should be considered. Especially when you consider that PowerChip will often times upgrade your software at a later date as your hardware changes at little or no cost. They are a great company with a team of enthusiast that first and foremost “CARE”….. not only about what they offer but even more importantly they care about how you feel after receiving the service they provide.

From here the list goes on…….. alternate gearing, air horns, UUC shifter and DSSR, UUC clutch assemblies, EVO Sport pulleys,………….. the various performance pieces available can be overwhelming……..

Do as you are doing now…. Ask a lot of questions from folks that have walked the same or similar road and then if the shoe fits ….. wear it. You may even enjoy looking at some of the projects we have the pleasure to work on from time to time………. From the mild to the wild, www.Discovery-Automotive.com

More than anything ….have fun and enjoy your car….. it was and is a wonderful piece as presented from Germany.

Take care

Shadowman

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all for the very helpful suggestions.

Where do I get this Powerchip? Is there a particular brand to get? Is it a software upload or an actual chip that I plug into my ECU? What is the actual cost?

Any input is much appreciated!

Wolf

P.S. I appreciate the helpful & mature nature of this Board. There doesn't seem to be as much nonsensical jibber jabber as I encounter at some of the Porsche Boards!

·
Registered
784 Posts
wolfturbo said:

Where do I get this Powerchip? Is there a particular brand to get? Is it a software upload or an actual chip that I plug into my ECU? What is the actual cost?

Wolf

P.S. I appreciate the helpful & mature nature of this Board. There doesn't seem to be as much nonsensical jibber jabber as I encounter at some of the Porsche Boards!

PowerChip is a firm that specializes in DME tuning. They can be reached at (800) 495-0777.

Great folks to work with.

Shadowman

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
wolfturbo said:

Wolf
Hey Wolf,

"Powerchip" Is the company brand name. It is a software download on the Beast. You can take it to them, or they can ship you the cables with instructions. :M5launch:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
SC'dKellenersM5 said:
Wolf,

MIB is right, the powerchip upgrade is worth the price. I think its even priced less than the 800 posted (i paid 500 for mine). In addition, the only other parts that you might want to look into are some new brake pads and maybe a short shifter.

No lift
the values given are true. The reason for this is the changing of the ignition/fuel curves. While you will always gain more power by optimizing the engine DME for an exhaust so you will get even more power with an exhaust
not to drag up an old post here guys...but the price i paid was not 500. It was about 900.

Just wanted to clarify

1 - 18 of 18 Posts