BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just went to get my new '03 e39 m5 smog-checked here in Los Angeles so that I could properly register it in California. The car originally came from Colorado.
I did pass the emissions test, but in one category (HC), barely! I'm wondering if this is normal or not.

at 15mph, 1624 rpm:
%CO2: 15.2
% O2: 0.0
HC (PPM): max: 47, average: 4, measured: 47!
CO (%): max: 0.46, average: .01, measured 0.0
NO (PPM): max: 400, average: 16, measured: 0

and at 25mph, 1807 rpm:
%CO2: 15.3
%O2: 0.0
HC (PPM): max 31: average: 4, measured 31!
CO (%): max: .43, average: .01, measured: .01
NO (PPM): max: 687, average: 18, measured: 0

So, while CO and NO are seemingly stellar, the HC (hydrocarbons?) is right at the edge of passing.

Is my beast unhappy, or is this normal? Am I spewing extra crud into the air, or is this status-quo of a 400hp machine?

Thanks,

-- Antoine Durr

·
Registered
172 Posts
My car was also from CO via AZ. Brought it to an independent smog place - It failed initially b/c of high HC # of 54 vs max value of 47.

Brought it to the dealer to see what was up - they said the indy shops don't let the cats warm up enough. Passed with flyin colors next round.

jeremy

·
Registered
109 Posts
When I bought my used '00 several months ago in CA it wouldn't pass smog because of high hydrocarbons (It's supposed to be the responsibility of the seller but he didn't realize that and reimbursed me for the testing). Several attempts were made and it was definitely warmed up enough in at least some of them. The dealership replaced the cats under warrantee and then it passed just barely (warmed up), right at the maximum. I'm still concerned that the new cats will burn up prematurely just like the old ones did because it's running too rich, but I'm not sure what to do. As long as it passes it's considered to work properly and the dealer is under no obligations to make it better. The guy at the testing center said it was normal for cars like this to just barely pass, but I don't know. At least it seems to run fine, although it would probably produce a bit more power if the mixture was just right. The SES light just came on this past weekend though, and maybe it's related. We'll see after I bring it in.

- Dave

·
Registered
172 Posts
:7:

Good one Gustav. But probably some of us already do this daily - from the sounds of the postings on this board!

j

Gustav said:
Be sure top take a few 100+ mph high speeds runs before so the cats are heated up sufficiently.

·
Registered
75 Posts
sevenoftoine said:
Hi,
I just went to get my new '03 e39 m5 smog-checked here in Los Angeles so that I could properly register it in California. The car originally came from Colorado.
I did pass the emissions test, but in one category (HC), barely! I'm wondering if this is normal or not.

at 15mph, 1624 rpm:
%CO2: 15.2
% O2: 0.0
HC (PPM): max: 47, average: 4, measured: 47!
CO (%): max: 0.46, average: .01, measured 0.0
NO (PPM): max: 400, average: 16, measured: 0

and at 25mph, 1807 rpm:
%CO2: 15.3
%O2: 0.0
HC (PPM): max 31: average: 4, measured 31!
CO (%): max: .43, average: .01, measured: .01
NO (PPM): max: 687, average: 18, measured: 0

So, while CO and NO are seemingly stellar, the HC (hydrocarbons?) is right at the edge of passing.

Is my beast unhappy, or is this normal? Am I spewing extra crud into the air, or is this status-quo of a 400hp machine?

Thanks,

-- Antoine Durr
Mine failed first time into CA (HC too high also). The smog dealer said I must drive a full week, and make sure I start up every morning to warm it up. A week later the car passed with all numbers way below limit. For 2000 model, at least two monitors must be running, and if your M5 has not been active or battery was disconnected, then you'll need to drive frequently before smogging. For 2001, I think at least 3 monitors must be running.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I've had problems with BMW's in the past like this.
I found if you drive hard before testing and not turning it off it does well.

I'm currently monitoring my sensors as I drive to and from work(with a data recorder hooked to the OBDII). Funny what you can see as you drive around normally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts