BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two legislators from TX have introduced legislation to prohibit the sale of radar detectors and laser jammers.

HB 1116 * Harper-Brown Relating to prohibiting the sale and use of certain radar interference devices.

I will post the link to bill soon....this SUCKS!

·
Registered
245 Posts
What?! no way.. good thing i have a k40.. too bad rear sensor has a defect.. lol! welp at least that makes my decision easier on whether to replace the rear sensor or not, HA!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Two legislators from TX have introduced legislation to prohibit the sale of radar detectors and laser jammers.

HB 1116 * Harper-Brown Relating to prohibiting the sale and use of certain radar interference devices.

"radar interference devices" sounds like radar jammers rather than radar detectors but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts

the bills do not ban DETECTORS the Bills ban RADAR JAMMERS and LASER JAMMERS.

·
Company Representative for Valley Motorwerks
763 Posts
the bills do not ban DETECTORS the Bills ban RADAR JAMMERS and LASER JAMMERS.

+1
There are Federal laws regarding the use of the airwaves. I believe the states hang their hat on that when challenged in the case of jammer laws. Detectors are passive and do not transmit so it's more difficult to ban something that does nothing except receive. That said I think there are states that do ban detectors but I am not sure how they stand scrutiny... I think it's only Virginia and Washington D.C. - drivers are not allowed to use them while operating a commercial vehicle in any state.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Radar jammers are illegal everywhere (falls under the domain of the FCC, nobody is allowed to transmit radio waves above a certain wattage without a license), where LIDAR jammers are illegal in a handful of states but under state law vs. federal. I think these are a little harder to regulate because there are plenty of devices throwing waves around in this frequency band already, so they have to base the law on something else rather than just hiding under a "the Feds made us do it" blanket.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is a bit ridiculous, and defiantly will not stop people from running jammers, me included.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'm going to be finishing up my stealth install here soon, I guess I really don't have to worry.

·
Registered
318 Posts
This is a bit ridiculous, and defiantly will not stop people from running jammers, me included.
Agreed. Although I'm not in TX... should soon be that way (if not already?) in CA.

·
Registered
12,935 Posts
Radar jammers are illegal everywhere (falls under the domain of the FCC, nobody is allowed to transmit radio waves above a certain wattage without a license), where LIDAR jammers are illegal in a handful of states but under state law vs. federal. I think these are a little harder to regulate because there are plenty of devices throwing waves around in this frequency band already, so they have to base the law on something else rather than just hiding under a "the Feds made us do it" blanket.
At least one of the jammers has a "garage parking' function, which supposedly helps you park your vehicle in the garage without hitting anything.

The main feature being a parking sensor designed to assist the driver when parking a vehicle and help him avoid unpleasant and costly close contacts.

Also, this device will allow you to open an electric garage door(with use of suitable additional items) and even use it as light activator.

Apparently, it is conveniently on the same frequency that jams laser guns. What a coincidence.......:biggrin:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
If radar detectors emit no signals, how come there are radar detector detectors? How do they work?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
+1
There are Federal laws regarding the use of the airwaves. I believe the states hang their hat on that when challenged in the case of jammer laws. Detectors are passive and do not transmit so it's more difficult to ban something that does nothing except receive. That said I think there are states that do ban detectors but I am not sure how they stand scrutiny... I think it's only Virginia and Washington D.C. - drivers are not allowed to use them while operating a commercial vehicle in any state.
correct only Virginia and DC ban detectors for passenger vehicles. detectors are also banned on Military bases. comercial drivers are banned from using in any state.

Radar Jammers - regulated by the FCC = banned all over the USA
Laser Jammers - regulated by the FDA = no problem on a federal level as long as they comply with FDA rules for Lasers

If radar detectors emit no signals, how come there are radar detector detectors? How do they work?
while they do not technically emit a signal on purpose they do "leak". the oscillator inside the detector "leaks" and gives the ability for the police to use detectors to detect that leakage. now there are a few models on the market that have addressed this issue and are not detectable unless a few feet away. in other words the only way the RDD can detect these RD's is if the RDD and RD are placed a few feet apart. in real life use they will never be that close.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
While I certainly don't see the point in legislation like this, it won't affect my use of my V1.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Radar Jammers

Yes, they can ban laser jammers, but my take on radar jammers (from reading this board and other sites) is that they did not work anyhow, and were not readily available.

ssomed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts