BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to everyone who recommended Small Cars in Queens to repair my M5... they did an incredible job. Not for the faint of wallet even by NYC standards (thank the lord someone else's insurance company was paying for this), but the quality of the work was absolutely first-rate. The car looks like it just rolled out of the showroom.

They did a tremendous job managing the insurance company, every part that had so much as a goosebump on it that could be attributed to the accident they were able to get replaced with new OEM parts. The trunklid and bumper were no-brainers, but they were able to work new in taillights, and a new exhaust (so I now have perfect new shiny tailpipes again :D ).

What was really most helpful was that at every step in the process, they e-mailed me photos of the work underway so I was always in the loop about what was going on. That's above and beyond in my book.

So anyway, here are some pix of the repair. In the event you are in the NYC area and need bodywork done anytime in the near future, definitely give Al and John at Small Car a ring.

Right after some *#!$%@!!! in a dingy Jeep Cherokee rear ended me:

Rear Bumper Removed:

Rear body panel replaced, in for painting:

Factory-perfect paint job... matte on the inside, clear coat on the outside.

The finished product:

That's all folks! :M5launch:

·
Registered
680 Posts
NYC-

Congratulations. The car does look great. I too had to have some bodywork and paintwork done. Mine was a factory job done at the dealer and although there was security in that, I know how it feels to be crossing your fingers and hoping the car comes out all right.

Watch out for them crazies.

Also, if they replaced your exhaust... perhaps you should have had them install a Supersprint system instead of the stock again! I think they cost about the same new! :biggrin:

-Matthew

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Congratualtions, the car looks like it came out great. I am always amazed by what a good body shop can do to straighten panels and match colors. A true talent that few possess. Welcome back to the road with the M5!

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Wow, that looks fantastic! Matching paint is really an art form, and I'm glad you found a shop with enough skill to make it all come together well. Enjoy the beast.
:cheers:

·
Registered
191 Posts
NYC,
The beast looks as good as new, I see no flaws from this angle.
Is there any subtle imperfection that is noticable to you or anyone that may inspect the car in person? Again really a good job. What was the price of the facelift?

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Excellent work, your beast looks like new. There are some excellent body shops around that really care about their work, you just have to find them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No imperfections at all, as far as I can tell the only way to verify the new paintwork would be with one of those electronic thickness testers.

The only thing that would tip someone off that work had been done is that for a car with 37,000 miles on it, the tailipes are sparkling on the inside; and for a car that lives in an NYC garage, there isn't so much as a fleck of damage to the paint on the rear of the car hmmm . Anyone who has ever been in a NYC garage would find that immediately suspicious... this is a city where garages make money selling pads to protect bumpers to their monthly customers. :rolleyes:

I was concerned about matching the Silverstone color, but to my eyes it is flawless... in fact, since I didn't buy the car new, it is nice to see what truly perfect paint in that color looks like.

·
Registered
439 Posts
my friend just got these http://www.bumperpad.com/ for his e46 m3 2004.
he parks and an undergorund lot on astor place, they arent so nice to cars.
i have a private lot for my 540 :)

SilverstoneNYC said:
No imperfections at all, as far as I can tell the only way to verify the new paintwork would be with one of those electronic thickness testers.

The only thing that would tip someone off that work had been done is that for a car with 37,000 miles on it, the tailipes are sparkling on the inside; and for a car that lives in an NYC garage, there isn't so much as a fleck of damage to the paint on the rear of the car hmmm . Anyone who has ever been in a NYC garage would find that immediately suspicious... this is a city where garages make money selling pads to protect bumpers to their monthly customers. :rolleyes:

I was concerned about matching the Silverstone color, but to my eyes it is flawless... in fact, since I didn't buy the car new, it is nice to see what truly perfect paint in that color looks like.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
small cars said:
I am glad that you are happy with our work. Quality in our workmanship is our #1 priority, it’s what separates us from the 2-300 other body shops in the NY metro area.<O:p</O:p

John <O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p

Remember “Drive It Like You Stole It”<O:p</O:p

http://216.26.160.151/smallcar
Great attitude, John! Do you know anyone with a mindset like that in northern Europe? ;-)

David

·
Registered
635 Posts
Great job! Didn't they paint the beast in a spray both. Looks good. I am looking to have my ACS parts color matched and painted.

Marion

·
Registered
530 Posts
Wow that looks absolutely indetctable. Which, as I see it, is the trademark of a good repair job. Glad to know of another local shop that has quality work as thier trademark.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts