BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea, my oven isn't the best, not do I trust myself enough to bake them. Anyone near Ventura county want to help me? Experience preferred :D

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
My '01's came apart really easy.

10 minutes at 200 degrees.

Get some gloves with the rubber bumps on the palms.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yeah, I've done my twice. Not to hard. I did 250 for 8 minutes. I recommend getting some more glue to use when reinstalling them. You can get it at the retrofit source.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just went through this on my car... only to find out it won't work since I have a 2003 car and they used an epoxy to bond the lens on (not something any of the how-tos I've read mentioned). Good thing I didn't melt my headlights in the oven. Did manage to tear up the housing plastic trying to pry though...

Good luck! I might be buying new lights now.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I would just make sure that the headlight was never replaced at any point like one of mine was. I was forced to spend 20+ hours dremeling the second one open after finishing the first one and am likely just going to buy new headlights because I made some errors.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
AJ, I did mine as you've seen them in person. They're not 100% perfect, but I'd definitely get some butyl from TRS before doing this.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Its really easy to do this yourself, I have done it before and the hardest part was getting over the mental block of putting my $1000 headlights in an oven. If your oven isnt super reliable, err on the side of caution and run the temperature lower. Remove after 10 minutes, if they need more time, put them back in. If after another 5-10 minutes they wont come apart, raise the temperature a bit.

On the back of the headlights, near the lower mounting tab on the "outside" of the headlight there is a little circle... it has 1-12 around the outside and two numbers with an arrow in the middle. The arrow points at the production month of the lights, the two numbers represent the year. Mine say "02" in the center with an arrow pointing at 9, so the produciton date is 9/02. I have read that anything after 7/02 is RTV and can not be baked open, but mine are euro and 9/02 and are butyl.

A secondary test is to unscrew one of the torx screws by the side reflector. If the screw comes out with some black silicone-like goop on it that is sort of elastic, they can be baked open. If the screw comes out dry or with some black "hard" adhesive, it can not be baked open.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Its really easy to do this yourself, I have done it before and the hardest part was getting over the mental block of putting my $1000 headlights in an oven. If your oven isnt super reliable, err on the side of caution and run the temperature lower. Remove after 10 minutes, if they need more time, put them back in. If after another 5-10 minutes they wont come apart, raise the temperature a bit.

On the back of the headlights, near the lower mounting tab on the "outside" of the headlight there is a little circle... it has 1-12 around the outside and two numbers with an arrow in the middle. The arrow points at the production month of the lights, the two numbers represent the year. Mine say "02" in the center with an arrow pointing at 9, so the produciton date is 9/02. I have read that anything after 7/02 is RTV and can not be baked open, but mine are euro and 9/02 and are butyl.

A secondary test is to unscrew one of the torx screws by the side reflector. If the screw comes out with some black silicone-like goop on it that is sort of elastic, they can be baked open. If the screw comes out dry or with some black "hard" adhesive, it can not be baked open.
This is the most specific post I've found regarding production dates. Tagging for later.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
This is the most specific post I've found regarding production dates. Tagging for later.
I was told clear as day any E39 lights produced after 7/02 used RTV and could not be baked open. My euro set is 9/02 and is able to be baked, so I am not sure the reliability of that information. Unfortunately the production info is the same from pre-facelift to the end of the E39 production run so realoem isnt helping to determine when the cutoff was for RTV.

The best bet if someone has late-2002 lights and wants to see if they can be baked is to go by the screw as that is a way to tell directly what type of adhesive is used.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Here is my bit of advise, I have done this twice with success.

Empty your oven, leave just a rack in the middle. (I used a nice soft silicone cookie sheet to protect the light from hot pressure points on the metal rack)
Set your temperature to 210. Wait for it to reach that temperature.
Once 210 is reached, turn off the oven!
Put lights in, let it hang out for 5-10 minutes.
Pry open light, if you need to add more heat (which I did) get the oven back up to 210, turn it off, then repeat.

My reasoning is that the (my) oven will put out more heat than 210F to get the oven up to temp. Since the lights are mostly black, I don't want them soaking in all that IR and potentially overheating or starting to warp. Nor do I want the oven to kick back on while the lights are in there to maintain temp. My oven is stupid - it doesn't just give 10% effort if it needs a few more degrees warmer - it is either 100% or 0%!

Am I over cautious? I haven't had to replace a headlight yet..

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
any worries of damaging adjusters while pulling them apart?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Yeah, you will most likely break them. Order some new ones for like $22 before doing this. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts

I've never seen this info anywhere I looked, thanks a lot! I'll check to see if the date stamp is actually there, I've never seen it! :D

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Link to adjuster shafro? I dont think ive found any that cheap before.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I've never seen this info anywhere I looked, thanks a lot! I'll check to see if the date stamp is actually there, I've never seen it! :D
Yup, the date stamp is right here and looks like this... second pic has vent tube off to let me photo the date stamp

I think OEM plastic replacements are that cheap. You may as well upgrade to the more expensive aluminum units while in there though. They are <$100 from CA Automotive last I checked

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I bought these, they worked fine. Matter fact, I'm about to do a friend's headlights soon, he just ordered some new projectors.
2X BMW Headlight Adjuster Angel Eyes Xenon Halogen E39 528 530 540 M5 2000 2003 | eBay

These are the Aluminum ones, they weren't worth it for me. The plastic ones are probably gonna break in 5-7 years, I'll let the next guy worry about them, or I'll just do it myself! :D
https://www.eaceuroparts.com/catalog/product/467
CA Automotive Aluminum Head-Light Adjuster Repair Kit for the BMW 5-series (E39) 10/00-03 : Bimmerzone.com

$160-$170 + shipping.. LOL FUHDATSHYT that's more than my projectors, no thanks.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
So when is this gonna happen ? I am in 818 and don't mind taking out da beast out for a drive. I am sure few locals would join as well as you bake these.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts