BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of questions. My new M5 is on order and as it will be my primary car, I plan on driving it throughout the New England winter months.

Obviously snow tires are in order. However, I'm just wondering if any of you have had experience with inclement weather and the traction control system in the new M5. How does it perform on rain slicked roads? Snow? Ice? Do they make Z rate snow tires??!!?? Just Kidding!

Ciao

ST

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Never had any experience in snow with the 540i or the M5, but in rain the DSC and the like do work very well.

We took our 540i out on the Nordschleife (the 13-mile old Nurburgring circuit) when we got it (Euro Delivery Aug '98), the course was 2/3 drippy-wet with fog.

Typical of that course is an uphill run to a blind crest, a short downhill braking area into a fast turn complex. Not knowing the track (and not even having so much as a track map handy) I did get the thing squirming around a fair amount, but the DSC did its job and kept us pointing in the right direction.

It's ruthlessly anti-fun (it will not let you hang the tail out at all) but very safe.

And yes, they do make Z-rated snow tires. I think the premise is to let you get to the snow quickly...

·
Registered
257 Posts
With the regular tires on the car, you will have difficulty just getting the car to move from a stop in the snow. With DSC, you won't spin the tires in snow, it just won't do much at all. Your only chance is to get snow tires which grip real well, as the performance tires just spin too much, no matter how lightly you apply to throttle. My guess is that with great snow tires and the weight of the car, you should be all right.

Dan

·
Registered
911 Posts
I took delivery of my M5 back at the end of January. Unless the roads are plowed, you're not going to move (very easily). It hadn't been a week since I had the car and light snow had fallen covering all the cars in the parking lot. When 5pm came around I went to leave my office, I actually got stuck! Man, was that embarrassing! I had to deactivate the DSC, get out and clear some space in front of the (and in back of) the rear tires and power through.

In any case, this winter we'll be prepared with snow tires!

ALX

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
in rain so long as you dont act stupid youll be aok with the stock tires and dsc. the problem with snow is that these are sports tires and their treds fill up with snow and you get slicks. youll need snow tires and you might want to find sizes that arent as wide.

ME

·
Registered
120 Posts
During the long-term test of a E39 540i sport, Car and Driver put on, if I recall, Pirelli P210 snow tires and had very good performance during Michigan winter weather. I think it was the 1998 or 99 that had 235mm tires all around which is a fair amount less in back than the M5. Skinner is better in the snow.

I can attest that the P210s are great! Much less mushy on dry pavement than orig. blizzaks but Bridgestone has since added other models.

Check old posts, some european owners have used snows.

No use for the "sport" mode in winter!!!

TD

·
Registered
372 Posts
In some cars (both auto and manual) starting the car off in 2nd gear results in a lot less wheel spin, and more control, in snow.

Would be interested in hearing if any of you tried this with the M5.

Definately, snow tires are the way to go, and a 2nd set of wheels, down-sized, if possible, giving you a higher, narrower profile tire.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I live in Central Mass. I got my M5 in March, and had some opportunity to drive it in inclement weather. Suffice it to say my car will be garaged from November to April this year. Buy a beater for winter. No amount of DSC will get the M5 up even a modest incline in more than an inch of new snow.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steve,

I currently drive a 99 4 door Tahoe. So, I know what you mean about having a 4 wheel drive truck (I saw one of your earlier posts regarding snow tires). I like being able to go anywhere, in any kind of road conditions. The main problem for me is Back Bay parking for two cars.

I've heard fairly good reports on the snow tires, especially if you go with a 235 width. One of the guys in my office has a 540i sport. He drove through last winter with the performance tires on, not snow tires and didn't have that much trouble.

Of course, as soon as I get the car, we'll have record snow falls! I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on my stock of bread and milk when the snow flies, you know how New Englanders are!

I was coming back from Newport at 5AM about 2 weeks ago in an avus blue M5 on Route 24, it's bone straight for about 5 miles, no traffic and the sun was coming up. We set the speed alarm for 155 and although the analog speedo was reading 160 to 165, we never hit the limiter. It's nice to have the digital readout for confirming those top speed runs.

What a car!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hello all!
I live in Finland and as you all might guess here is lot of snow at wintertime (but no polar bears
!
I have 235/40/18" (Antera 183) as a winter tire with Dunlop Winter Sport M2. Also I have this 17"(M-spoke something with Michelin Pilot Alpin 235/45) package from bmw and I must say that 18" Dunlop is superior. Michelin just doesn't work so well in these northern conditions.
I drove 500km with Michelin and switched to Dunlop. Steering is almost as accurate as with summer tires and these tires are also very good at most appalling conditions if you drive carefully like you always should at wintertime. And as suspension is so fantastic as it is I haven't had any major problems with my M5 at winter . Everything is easily predictable.
BTW Antera is easy to clean and it looks absolutely gorgerous especially with these 40 profile tires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That is a scary thought. I have to be driving around western Massachusetts in early January, predictably in the snow. Did you have snow tires, and if so, what kind. I want to be sure not to buy whatever you were using.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Autumn has really set in up here...tons of rain, and fallen leaves all over the suburban roads.

I have been marvelling at DSC all weekend. On curvy roads, I have been PUNCHING it in the middle of corners on purpose, in order to feel the system grab control of the car so quickly.

A particularly "leafy" corner really pitched the car sideways, but otherwise the DSC has been instant. One rainy evening on the way home from my friend's, I managed to keep my foot planted most of the way; the Beast virtually ran the show. It would tap-dance itself around wet, uphill corners at under 50 km/h if necessary...amazing.

The closest analogy I can draw is an amusement park ride...everything has been engineered to take you close to what you perceive to be the edge, but things are actually very much in check.

At the risk of sounding simplistic and foolhardy, I look forward to racing someone in the wet on a slow, twisty road. There would be almost no skill necessary on my part.

Alps

1 - 14 of 14 Posts