BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today on my lunch break I started to feel a little vibration coming from the rear of the car. I inspected all four wheels and took a look under there but I don't see anything out of the ordinary. I'm going to head back to the workplace and get it jacked up to get a better look now.

I know all my shocks are completely blown on this car (original shocks at 130K miles lol) and I have new ones on the way. I just replaced the front control arm bushings, rear lower control arms & ball joints.

I noticed my driver-front fender liner is getting chewed up... I'm gonna take it out and see if that's the cause but I don't think it is. It's also worth noting my diff is leaking from the input shaft seal, but the fluids were recently topped off.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Check the rear wheel bearings.

I had a vibration/drumming sound start and it got progressively worse over months. When I had the rear end up off the ground, you could feel the difference between the good bearing and the bad side when rotating the tire by hand.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Yup, if the vibration changes when you are driving on a road and swerve left vs right, then it's most likely a wheel bearing. Usually if it gets worse when swerving right, it's the driver side and vice versa if the noise gets worse when swerving left.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Wheel bearing was one of my first suspicions. Can't wait to get the rear end up to figure this out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts