BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My blown up M5 is probably not covered by warranty. My dealer says they are 99.9% sure it won't be covered due to "motifications". I could take the gamble and have them tear down the motor. If they find the cause of the blow, they will cover it. If not, i have to pay the 2k for the break down. Also, I was having problems selling this car at 30k. So, If it did get a new motor, would i still get 30k offers for it, Or would it be less. If BMW tries to do some 50% BS thing, I'm not doing it. So, do I take the risk of having them tear the motor down, to possibly say "not covered", or part the ENTIRE car out in parts. Just off the top of my head with worst case numbers, I have 15k in easy sales.
Im not sure how or where to part doors, hood, fenders,etc.
Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

josh.

·
10,458 Posts
does sound like BS to me, your mods were just external bolt on stuff. How would that cause the bottom end to fall out!
Tear it down?, tell them to just look thru the hole in the block.
Mike

·
Registered
383 Posts
as long as you're dealer seems cool...tear it down. they only say that as a disclosure incase it does end up on your shoulder. if you do part it out, let me know. i'm around the corner and definitely would be interested in some stuff.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
phillym5 said:
My blown up M5 is probably not covered by warranty. My dealer says they are 99.9% sure it won't be covered due to "motifications". I could take the gamble and have them tear down the motor. If they find the cause of the blow, they will cover it. If not, i have to pay the 2k for the break down. Also, I was having problems selling this car at 30k. So, If it did get a new motor, would i still get 30k offers for it, Or would it be less. If BMW tries to do some 50% BS thing, I'm not doing it. So, do I take the risk of having them tear the motor down, to possibly say "not covered", or part the ENTIRE car out in parts. Just off the top of my head with worst case numbers, I have 15k in easy sales.
Im not sure how or where to part doors, hood, fenders,etc.
Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

josh.
Josh:

If You know that YOU did nothing wrong ... and that "Wrong" includes "Over-Revving" the motor ... Then have the Dealership tear it down!!

The only way that You can be at fault here ... with the bolt on mods that you have on your M5 ... Is if it is determined by reading the DME that YOU Over-Revved the engine until it BLEW!! :flag:

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
It's very comon for mods to void the warrentys, and I can't say I blame them.

Some things are excluded though...Say you did wheels, brakes, suspention, diff...that would not void the engine. Of course the things lised would not be covered by factory, but if you did an S2 your covered, if you did other s2 like stuff but not dinans your screwed.

Let um tear it down, at worst you say ok stop it's not worth it. Salvage the car at that point.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry to hear about your engine. I wish you the best with the repairs. :M5thumbs: If you should decide to part her out though I would be interested in the crankshaft and the parts for the intake from the throttle bodies up to the plenum.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The way I understand the warranty is that BMW must prove that the particular mod in question caused the failure. Contrary to what Jayson said above, I don't believe they can just say that your warranty is void because you have modded your car- even headers, throttle bodies, etc. I'd probably risk the $2k since you stand to lose a lot more than that if you can't get them to cover it without the tear down. For that kind of money, if they continue to stonewall you or refuse to do anything under warranty without a satisfactory explanation, it might be worth your while to have one of your attorney friends write a letter or two. Good luck!!

P.S. There's an entire M5 drive line in the for sale section.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
PCUT said:
The way I understand the warranty is that BMW must prove that the particular mod in question caused the failure. Contrary to what Jayson said above, I don't believe they can just say that your warranty is void because you have modded your car- even headers, throttle bodies, etc. I'd probably risk the $2k since you stand to lose a lot more than that if you can't get them to cover it without the tear down. For that kind of money, if they continue to stonewall you or refuse to do anything under warranty without a satisfactory explanation, it might be worth your while to have one of your attorney friends write a letter or two. Good luck!!

P.S. There's an entire M5 drive line in the for sale section.

I somewhat agree with PCUT on this- they cannot "void the warranty". They can refuse to cover damages CAUSED by aftermarket parts.

The law that defines this is the Moss Magnussen act- lots of stuff on the web about it and interpretations

Here it gets murky- what is the forum for 'proof'? what is acceptable proof, a BMW SA's assessement? or a legal judgement?

Sounds like you have Powerchip, Headers and Pulleys.

Tough call- is increased power enough to claim it is causal? Perhaps no matter what they find, it will boil down to "mods caused it"

Perhaps ask the SA/sr tech 'if we tear this down, what are you looking for that would cause you to recommend BMW pays for this?... what evidnce will decide this one way or the other...'

Crap, really sorry to hear of this---

·
Registered
12,923 Posts
ard said:
I somewhat agree with PCUT on this- they cannot "void the warranty". They can refuse to cover damages CAUSED by aftermarket parts.

The law that defines this is the Moss Magnussen act- lots of stuff on the web about it and interpretations

Here it gets murky- what is the forum for 'proof'? what is acceptable proof, a BMW SA's assessement? or a legal judgement?

Sounds like you have Powerchip, Headers and Pulleys.

Tough call- is increased power enough to claim it is causal? Perhaps no matter what they find, it will boil down to "mods caused it"

Perhaps ask the SA/sr tech 'if we tear this down, what are you looking for that would cause you to recommend BMW pays for this?... what evidnce will decide this one way or the other...'

Crap, really sorry to hear of this---
I tend to agree. I think I would talk to a lawyer BEFORE doing anything at the dealership. There may be steps to preserve what they did, or you may want to have your own "expert" on hand to watch the teardown and take pics. And dealing with a lawyer up front may make the dealership consider its postion on fault; technically the burden is on them to show the part caused the problem but in real life, you will probably have to prove the part was NOT a factor in the problem.
You can part out or consider buying AvusM5's motor for sale in the For Sale section as another alternative, or allow BMW to buy the used motor instead of rebuilding the blown one.
I would also hate to see the car parted out, but you have to do what makes the most sense for you. Good luck and keep us posted, you know there is a ton of knowledge on this board. :cheers:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
gsfent said:
I tend to agree. I think I would talk to a lawyer BEFORE doing anything at the dealership. There may be steps to preserve what they did, or you may want to have your own "expert" on hand to watch the teardown and take pics. And dealing with a lawyer up front may make the dealership consider its postion on fault; technically the burden is on them to show the part caused the problem but in real life, you will probably have to prove the part was NOT a factor in the problem.
Good info- Anyone know of an atty that specializes in warranty claims or Moss-Magnussen Act issues? No matter what state they are it, it would be an excellent contact for ALL of us to have- just in case. Post it if you have one.

There is clearly a 'presumption of causality' on the part of BMW already- or maybe they are just being sloppy- maybe it is worth pushing on them now, before dollar one, and asking what specific mods have caused this failure and what is the presumed mechanism- in writing. If they fail to prove that with tear down.... on the other hand, if they say 'any increase in HP is the cause' you have a different battle.

Anyway, talking to somoen who's been around the block a time or two is worth a few $100-200.

Adam

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Talk with your local BMWCCA chapter. If you are not a member, it might be a worthwhile thing to call the local chapter and ask about what they can do and if they can do something, become a member.

What I have come to the conclusion with modifications and dealers is when they say a modification caused it, I say: prove it. Its true: sometimes things just break.

·
Registered
397 Posts
josh, i sent you a pm....sorry to hear you are having troubles with your cars.

Mark

·
Registered
78 Posts
phillym5 said:
Also, I was having problems selling this car at 30k. So, If it did get a new motor, would i still get 30k offers for it, Or would it be less.
josh.
I know it wouldn't bother me if it had a replaced motor, 0 miles. I also know someone who could afford that price and is in the market.:D

Please keep us informed on your decision and the condition of your motor.

Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts