BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it happened yesterday (sunday 13th) in Lennik (Belgium).
The M5 had to be freed out of the car by the fire department and was brought to hospital in critical condition, as we speak his life is NOT endangered anymore. The X5 driver had only minor injuries.
Speeds must've been high, even the chassis of the X5 is bend...
The road is an intercity road, where you can drive 90km/h. The M5 has diplomatic plates, so probably he was driving very fast. They have diplomatic immunity, they can't be fined for anything...
(GCF)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Wow! Bad news there. But to be quite frank, it's a testament to how safe the M5 is just by the fact the guy lived through something like that.

Looks like a velvet blue with black luxury interior. Might be a good parts car for someome....not

B

·
0 Posts
Wow! I hope those involved get through this. This is one of the most devastated M5's I have ever seen. The roof was most likely cut off by the fire rescue crew, and not seared off during the accident.

Daniel

·
Registered
262 Posts
oh man..what an ugly scene... hope everyone is ok.

·
Registered
661 Posts
These pictures gives me the creep. Especially when the M5 is the same color as mine :(
On the other hand it's amazing how well engineered is the car we drive. I can't even imagine what could have happened if this happened on a lesser car.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
BeastPower said:
The roof was most likely cut off by the fire rescue crew, and not seared off during the accident.
Many photos like these show cars after the Jaws of Life is used to cut them open. Still, it's scary to look at. Glad to hear no one was killed.

·
Registered
487 Posts
BKH said:
Many photos like these show cars after the Jaws of Life is used to cut them open. Still, it's scary to look at. Glad to hear no one was killed.
True, but the Jaws of Life didnt break the wheels and tires off the car. The X5 took a seriously mean hit and flipped. That is some amazing engineering to survive the impact that those two cars look to have received.

·
Registered
64 Posts
THIS is the reason why I have a BMW.

I remember in the brochure I looked at when I bought my car a letter written to BMW by a woman who had just bought a new 540i and was in a terrible accident. No one was injured and they bought another 540.

The only other car I have felt this safe in was a Merc S500 I had before the BMW.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
That's why I drive an E39. An E36 saved me from dying once before...so I upgraded.

If I ever have to go through something like that again, I hope I'm in the E39!

That is pretty horrible to look at. The car is destroyed...the speeds must have been incredibly high. Pretty irresponsible of someone to be going that fast. :(

·
Registered
267 Posts
Wow,

That's a horrible sight...man, those cars are totally trashed, amazingly both drivers are alive....

Ed

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
That looks very bad. I hope the M5 driver will fully recover from his injuries.

·
Registered
897 Posts
For all the damage to the M5, the driver's seat is in remarkably good shape. Even the distance from the steering wheel to the seat looks normal. I wonder, given the extent of the guy's injuries if he was wearing his seat belt.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The jaws of life would have likely been used to cut the top off but why cut through the rear fender and passenger front wheel well? Assuming the accident sheared them off, I can't imagine how. Then to look at how the X5 frame crushed in. And he had minor injuries? WOW!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts