BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my engine wasn't too happy today. It wouldn't rev up over 4k, 6th gear at 40 mph caused major vibrations--all around not happy. This happened when I filled up.

SES light came on--all sorts of misfires (startup and fuel cut off) in cylinders 1, 3, 4, and 6.

Put in "Lucas" fuel treatment and after 30 miles, drives fine. Expect SES light to go out soon.

I guess I'll do a precautionary fuel filter change. Because of multiple cylinder misfires, I assumed it was fuel.

·
Registered
543 Posts
You will most likely have to clear some fault codes also. Had this happen to me previously, it was BP fuel and the alcohol content was around 17%, the max the engine can take is ten. BMW recommeded to me to use Shell or Sunoco.

-Kmac

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem came back after the car warmed up and then went away after driving about 20 miles.

I should drain the fuel and use it in my lawn mower. Can't imagine unspent fuel being good for the cats.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The problem came back after the car warmed up and then went away after driving about 20 miles.

I should drain the fuel and use it in my lawn mower. Can't imagine unspent fuel being good for the cats.
Wouldn't do that. My Honda mower is more sensitive to gas octane and fuel "freshness" than my cars. Same with my Stihl saws and trimmers.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Feed it to the neighbors cats. Or, put it in your neighbors lawnmower, or GM product. Should would well for all three applications.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts