BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Responding to my search for an early allocation, I was contacted by Dave Walter BMW in Acron, OH, who offered me an early M5 for $8k over MSRP. Was told that a leasing company offered them that premium.
Princeton BMW, about which I heard good things, suggested that they could get me a car by next April, but that they needed a $2k deposit. They said the deposit was non-refundable if I found the car elsewhere, even though they have a long waiting list and could immediately sell the car to someone else. I believe that's illegal, but not worth the hassle.
Why does BMW allow these practices?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Dont go with the non-refundable deposit bullshit. I call all across the country for mine, and EVERY single place I called said that the deposit was 100% refundable.

I'd call up that princeton place and tell them to get their act together.

--Dan

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Take them up on their deposit and screw them back if you decide otherwise...the law's on your side.

Non-Refundables = Non-Existent

Alps

·
Registered
372 Posts
Similar situation here with M3 deposits. A year wait at other dealers, but found one who had not taken any deposits yet. Closer and more convenient for me to deal with too. Hope they manage to get an allocation.

·
Registered
90 Posts
screw princeton bmw. where do they get off?
Originally posted by GGarai:
Responding to my search for an early allocation, I was contacted by Dave Walter BMW in Acron, OH, who offered me an early M5 for $8k over MSRP. Was told that a leasing company offered them that premium.
Princeton BMW, about which I heard good things, suggested that they could get me a car by next April, but that they needed a $2k deposit. They said the deposit was non-refundable if I found the car elsewhere, even though they have a long waiting list and could immediately sell the car to someone else. I believe that's illegal, but not worth the hassle.
Why does BMW allow these practices?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spoke to the manager, who reiterated Princeton's position. He explained that he wants to keep (and not refund) a substantial deposit from a customer who is "just holding a position" for an allocation and then pulls out if he gets an earlier allocation somewhere else. Even if there are plenty of people ready to take the position and the car hasn't been ordered.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Originally posted by GGarai:
I spoke to the manager, who reiterated Princeton's position. He explained that he wants to keep (and not refund) a substantial deposit from a customer who is "just holding a position" for an allocation and then pulls out if he gets an earlier allocation somewhere else. Even if there are plenty of people ready to take the position and the car hasn't been ordered.
The guy I spoke to at Princeton BMW a while back is John Nelson. He said the deposit is $1000 and refundable up until before the car is spec'd out. This is for an M5.

Did you talk to the sales manager? I am curious now as to what the actual practices at this dealer is. Luckily, I did not put down any deposit.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Man, a non refundable deposit, that would put alot of customers off our dealership if we did something like that.

Good thing we don't operate directly in the US.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts